1989 EA82 Touring Wagon MPFI (non-turbo) front CVs

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Mark_G

1989 EA82 Touring Wagon MPFI (non-turbo) front CVs

Post by Mark_G » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:57 pm

Can anyone help me with a part number or other descriptions so that I can identify the correct CV for this car.

Is a part number stamped on the front CVs somewhere?

One size fits all does not apply for the Leone series vehicles. I have a 1986 carby (auto) wagon as a parts donor car, which has a different diameter CV spline.

I attempted to pull the CVs apart and turn two of CVs into one from the parts off both vehicle. This only worked for a few km before the CV failed and became noisy again.

Silverbullet

Re: 1989 EA82 Touring Wagon MPFI (non-turbo) front CVs

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:37 pm

Not that I'm an expert on L series CV's but I believe there are two different spline counts? 25 spline and (23?) spline rings a bell maybe...
You could try counting the splines on your shafts and using that info in a search. Part number is very unlikely to be stamped on the shaft itself.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:19 pm

G’day Mark,

Silverbullet is correct. The MPFI has the larger 25 spline diff stub axle, same size as the EJ inner CV joint.

The carb and auto units are all 23 spline count and have a smaller stub axle (same as the MY/brumby).

I don’t have a part number but there are aftermarket units available with the larger stub axle size.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Mark_G

Post by Mark_G » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:37 pm

Thank you,

I pulled the noisy axle out today and counted up the the splines. 25 at the transmission end 30 at the wheel end.

I'll order a pair and can not check with the seller to make sure they are the right CVs.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”