Key fell out. won't go back in.

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Jim5.0

Key fell out. won't go back in.

Post by Jim5.0 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:46 pm

Hello All,
I have a strange problem with my Gen2 Liberty. Last night my son was driving it and the key fell out of the ignition lock which obviously should not happen.

The probem is that the key will not go back into the ignition barrel because the key retaining latch has obviously started to work again. Best guess is that he did not have the key in all the way but somehow got it started.

Because I cannot get the key back into the lock I can't turn the ignition off because it will not turn past the "acc" position so I had to disconnect the battery.

Any ideas on how I can get the ignition to turn off?

Thanks & regards, Jim...

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:50 pm

Screwdriver ... + time for new lock ... :0

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Is the steering wheel locked? I sometimes found with my old worn out key if the wheel was in locked position you couldn't get the key in, jiggling the key and the wheel at the same time whilst pushing the key in saw the lock pop out again and key would go in, wheel would unlock. But you say the key is stuck in the run position so the wheel probably isn't locked...
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Jim5.0

Post by Jim5.0 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:04 pm

Nope not locked at all I just can't unlock it.
I might try to file all of the "teeth" off a key to be able to slide it in and unlock it.

It can wait until the weekend as we don't need to use the car before then.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:50 pm

There are 2 ways to fix this problem the proper way is a locksmith, the other is a small hammer or screwdriver and the ignition key (which may lead to the locksmith)

My brumby did a very similar thing just recently, I used the igniton key and the butt of a screwdriver to solve the problem.

Put the key in the ignition as far as it will go then gently tap it the rest of the way with a small hammer or the srewdriver handle.

this method worked for me but has left the barrel sticky so the key must be in the proper spot otherwise it won't turn.

A new ignition barrel is around 60 dollars not sure how much it will cost to get it fitted.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Post by 60766244 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:56 pm

TOONGA wrote:There are 2 ways to fix this problem the proper way is a locksmith, the other is a small hammer or screwdriver and the ignition key (which may lead to the locksmith)

My brumby did a very similar thing just recently, I used the igniton key and the butt of a screwdriver to solve the problem.

Put the key in the ignition as far as it will go then gently tap it the rest of the way with a small hammer or the srewdriver handle.

this method worked for me but has left the barrel sticky so the key must be in the proper spot otherwise it won't turn.

A new ignition barrel is around 60 dollars not sure how much it will cost to get it fitted.

TOONGA
+1 to this. Done it before!
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 01, 2013 7:45 am

My L key not fall out as you describe but never at home! When it does its trick key won't go back in, won't even start, and takes some jiggly and poking with paper clip size object at entry point of key, all of a sudddn, panic is over - until next time !

Jim5.0

Post by Jim5.0 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:34 am

I fixed it somehow last night. I was able to jiggle the key back in quite easily to set the lock back into the locked position.

All seems to work fine now. Turn the key on and it won't pull out of the lock which is as it should be.

So I'm presuming that the lock is starting to wear (most likely), the lock needs some silicone spray in it or he simply did not have the key inserted fully and yet still managed to start the car which brings us back to a worn lock.

Thanks, Jim...

Kustomchris

Post by Kustomchris » Mon May 06, 2013 10:41 am

When i first had my gen 3 OB i spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out why i couldnt get the key out of the barrel.

Then i realised the transmission wasnt in park.
The key also wont start the engine unless i have my foot on the brake... Learnt that one after abit of scratching my head too

Jim5.0

Post by Jim5.0 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:49 am

That's funny!!..... Why? because I did that exact same thing with the kids 1997 Hyundai Excel which is an auto. It also will not come out of park unless your foot is on the brake.

But this Subaru is a manual so it has non of those "idiot proof" features.

My ride on mower has more safety locks that stop the engine than you can poke a stick at . The worst one (now disconnected) is a button on the dash that you have to push when you reverse during mowing otherwise the engine cuts out.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon May 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Kustomchris wrote:When i first had my gen 3 OB i spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out why i couldnt get the key out of the barrel.

Then i realised the transmission wasnt in park.
The key also wont start the engine unless i have my foot on the brake... Learnt that one after abit of scratching my head too
Lol. The Honda Jazz has a similar thing with needing the handbrake on to select a gea. I think they just try to come up with new ways to confuse drivers lol :roll:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon May 06, 2013 7:23 pm

A certain French model has replacement brake light switches available at a reasonable price on ebay UK. If and when the brake light switch fails auto trans gets stuck in Park. If switch plays up intermittently rather than completely fail first time causes some grief to drivers unable to understand the electronc side of a trans lock device and unaware of the manual unlock process required.

scoobymine

Post by scoobymine » Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 am

I had a car once, you could take the key out while driving and scratch your head with it.
Ah! the joy of keyless entry, and having to have your foot on the brake to start the car.

Jim5.0

Post by Jim5.0 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:29 am

My first car was like that. It was a 1968 Valiant wagon. Sometimes the keys would fall out while driving so I'd had to look around the floor of the car once I had got to where I was going so that I could find the keys and turn the car off.

I never had a key to the tailgate so I could never lock it. Had the car for 3 years without being able to lock the tailgate. I wonder if you could get away with that these days?

scoobymine

Post by scoobymine » Tue May 07, 2013 10:37 am

Great car the VE, I had the VC, slant six engine, far to powerful for the day.
Apologies to all for getting off the subject.

Jim5.0

Post by Jim5.0 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:40 am

OK we are off the subject but the subject has been covered and rectified.

Yes it was a VE and after 3 slant engines in the first year I sorted it out by fitting a 265 Hemi.

My Brothers first car was a VC Regal that always ran hot then ran on 5 cylinders. Pulled the head to replace the suspect burned valve and found a burned piston so we fitted a 318. Did a mates VC to a 318 as well which lasted a week before he crashed it so he found another one which we converted.

They only weigh about 12-1300 kilos so they fairly shift with a 318 under the bonnet.

My 11 year old son wants me to buy him a VC so that he can do it up for when he is 17.

I am a great believer in the theory that if your kids pour a whole lot of effort into making their first car pristine then they are less likely to trash it and themselves.

scoobymine

Post by scoobymine » Tue May 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Jim,
Mine was a Regal, 3 years old at the time. Took on an Alfa, through the the streets of Perth once. DUMB I know, things you never tell your kids. Thrashed him, he was almost standing up, he was pressing that hard on the gas. Good luck with finding one, they are pretty pricey these days

Return to “Trouble Shooting”