97 liberty not starting

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
BBoypebs

97 liberty not starting

Post by BBoypebs » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Hey all. Long time since I have been on here.
Got an issue with my sisters 97 liberty ej22.
I will occasionally not start on for her. The car is 600kms away from me so I can not have a look at it my self.
It would turn over but will not fire, and no codes will not appear.
The local subaru dealer has had two attempts to fix it.
I'm leaning to wards a possible fuel pump issue.
So any one got any other clues to what it could be?
Cheers
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Subaru Brumby (Currently being restored.:twisted: 84 brumby 2 inch Lift(very rough, Big tires)
Landrover series two. 186 holden banger under hood.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:58 am

My son's 96 Liberty sedan had similar issues, were the previous owner would start the car, drive to the shops, come back out and the car wouldn't start. Leave it 20mins or more and then try again, sometimes it would start and then other times it wouldn't. I swapped and changed just about everything from coil, ignitor, crank angle sensor. In the end it was the Cam Angle Sensor, so see if you know someone closeby that you can swap over the sensor and try.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

BBoypebs

Post by BBoypebs » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:32 pm

Thinking about it further, It sounds like a ignitor. A position sensor would normally log a fault code.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Subaru Brumby (Currently being restored.:twisted: 84 brumby 2 inch Lift(very rough, Big tires)
Landrover series two. 186 holden banger under hood.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:44 pm

On my son's car it didn't give any codes but try the ignitor
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

JPM

Post by JPM » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Having recently had a very similar issue with a 97 liberty (albeit with an EJ25) I learnt that these cars are incredibly sensitive to earthing dramas.

My car would intermittently fail to fire, especially on hot days. It would crank the batty flat, but just no fire. Leave it an hour or two and it would fire first turn of the key. Tried fixing it by changing fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuel pressure regulator, Crank angle sensor, new battery, but symptoms persisted.

Then finally 'voila' I added an high quality engine to body earth (already had a battery earth) and it fixed my cars issues immediately. Fast forward three months later I've not had a repeat of the issue (touch wood).

Might be worth looking into to see if there is an engine earth to the chassis, and if so check what sort of condition it is in? If not, add one.

Good luck

Jayd

Return to “Trouble Shooting”