New Sportswagon with EA82 vac problems

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
newscooby

New Sportswagon with EA82 vac problems

Post by newscooby » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:55 am

Hello , I just picked up my first Subaru L Series Wagon and have a few problems . There are several disconnected hoses around the carb and wondered if anyone knows where they go ?

The wagon is a 93 with 270000km's on the clock .I have just changed the original leads , plugs ,oil ,fuel filter and adjusted the timing to 12btdc.
Any pointers would be appreciated :)

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:13 pm

welcome to the club, do you have any pics of the engine bay, might be easier to help you out :)

newscooby

Post by newscooby » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Johnny T wrote:welcome to the club, do you have any pics of the engine bay, might be easier to help you out :)
A bit odd they were up here earlier ? I'll try again ......Just went for a quick drive ,what an improvement plugs leads and rotor have made :D
Attachments
DSCN2052.jpg
DSCN2052.jpg (108.38 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
DSCN2055.jpg
DSCN2055.jpg (100.81 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
DSCN2048.jpg
DSCN2048.jpg (92.19 KiB) Viewed 2252 times

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Post by Loyale 2.7 Turbo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:19 am

In the Third Photo, The big grey round one is the Accelerator actuator for the A/C, so when you press ON the A/C it will speed up a little the Idle...

It's hose comes from the Solenoid, located next to the Vacuum acumulator Bottle which, on our Left hand drive Subies is behind the strut tower on the passenger side... I'm not sure if that is located on the Other side on that Right Hand Drive Subies there.

But I Hope that can Help...

Kind Regards.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:28 pm

newscooby wrote:Hello , I just picked up my first Subaru L Series Wagon and have a few problems . There are several disconnected hoses around the carb and wondered if anyone knows where they go ?

The wagon is a 93 with 270000km's on the clock .I have just changed the original leads , plugs ,oil ,fuel filter and adjusted the timing to 12btdc.
Any pointers would be appreciated :)
Wow, there's been some funky work under that bonnet! I can't remember where all those hoses go, but in the third photo with the AC idle up solenoid (that Loyal 2.7 got onto) there's a hose with another hose shoved in it held with a hose clamp, this isn't correct either, I'm not sure where it should go. Probably best if you do a search for the L series manual online (Toonga might have a PDF copy somewhere) and check out the diagrams in there of the anti pollution gear - that should give you some idea as to what's supposed to go where.

Oh, and I tweaked your images to make them show up above ;) It was a simple copy and paste of the address of the attached images in your later post...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:28 pm

The middle one with the bolt plugging the hose is technically correct, ie, it should be blocked, though the original Subaru rubber cap is obviously missing.
I will try to have a look at mine when the engine cools down and I can get my head into things.

newscooby

Post by newscooby » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:52 pm

I have connected up the A/C idle up as directed by Loyale 2.7 Turbo and am just left with that T under the airbox and the metal pipe ( which has strong vac when the engine runs ).

Appreciate you taking the time to sort those pic's out El Freddo , that hose is like that on each end and looks like it was put in to replace a perished hose . I have the manual on the way so will check it when it comes . By the way amazing work on your wagon , I just watched your video on another forum and am very impressed .

Thanks for letting me know that hose is ok Cliff. If you could check where the other one goes when you get a chance I'd appreciate it .

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:34 pm

newscooby
Will do so first thing tomorrow.
from the pictures I am guessing I will need to take the air cleaner off and turn it over ?

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:17 am

I have this morning pulled off my air filter to have a look underneath. Way more complicated than an EA81 engines air filter but I have managed to ID your hoses.
In picture No 1 were you are asking "Where should the T piece connect" it infact goes onto the top, silver (in your picture) pipe in your picture No 3 where you are asking "These two should connect ?" So, the answer is NO, AC idle compensator does NOT plug into the silver pipe.
Your picture No 2 as I mentioned yesterday is a blank. It is just your blank is a piece of hose with a bolt in it.
To finish off the AC idle compensator in your picture No 3 goes off towards the drivers side of the engine bay and makes its way to a switch that is located between the front, drivers side strut and the cars firewall. There is a white canister next to the switch. It is located in front of the cars compliance plate. This hose from the AC idle compensator goes into the rear of this switch, ie, the compliance plate side of the switch right next to where 2 wires plug into the switch.
If this all does not make sense let me know and I will give a better explanation.

newscooby

Post by newscooby » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks Cliff that's very helpful you have covered all I needed to know , I can now correct the errors.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:05 am

newscooby wrote: amazing work on your wagon , I just watched your video on another forum and am very impressed
Thanks mate! There's a lot of blood, sweat and tears in this ride... she's the most naked I've ever had her at the moment - should be better than ever once I've got her back in one piece!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Trouble Shooting”