Air/heater controls

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
suby87

Air/heater controls

Post by suby87 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:18 pm

Hey all,

New to this site just bought myself 87 l series wagon. The fresh air/recycle air button does not really do anything just makes a small air sound but does not seem to change. Also the fan does not seem to really work it barely blows any air at all but it still gets hot coming out all fuses are ok any hints would be helpful.

Thanks

Kev

Post by Kev » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:02 pm

Don't expect to get fresh air flow from the central vents. Those vents only work with the fan running.
Check all the ducting under the dash. If you have no air coming out with the fan running a duct may have come loose & all the air is coming out under the dash.

Gremlins

Post by Gremlins » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:16 pm

You won't get that much air out of an L-Series at the best of times. It certainly should be more than enough to be noticeable, but even with the fan cranked all the way up to 4 there's probably little more airflow than what you'd get on most other vehicles on about 2.

Also, the control system on the L-Series for switching what vents the air is directed to relies on vaccum. If you've lost vacuum it defaults to the floor position, so check to make sure there isn't air blasting out of the floor vents if you're not getting much out of the centre vents.

Chris_Rogers
General Member

Post by Chris_Rogers » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:41 am

see also the fan resistor near the fan. if you have nothing then this will be the suspect.
Audio Express

1987 HR31 Nissan skyline
1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GTS4

2006 Holden Combo - work van :)

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Mon May 01, 2006 8:45 pm

good tip gremlin ill check it out as my vent control shat itself the other day. the heat sink next to the fan motor can also be a culprit in fan problem. if its broken dont buy one from a wrekers - try and solder it back together - i made that mistake.

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Fri May 05, 2006 10:55 am

my vent controls are suddenly not working anymore. im tryin to find the broken vacuum and ive searched the whole passenger side under dash to find a hole/leak or something but i cant find anything.
does anyone know of any problem areas i should focus on to fix this?
-matty

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Fri May 05, 2006 9:10 pm

Look under the drivers side

Fang

Post by Fang » Fri May 05, 2006 9:20 pm

Matty there is a white vacuum canister that sits on the firewall (drivers side) that might be you culprit. Check for vacuum leaks in that vicnity - or try another canister and see if that works

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue May 23, 2006 9:38 am

cheers fang. that's the problem alright. one vacuum hose that comes off that canister has dropped down into the engine and melted off! problem is i cant see where it used to connect to replace it. could anyone check theirs give me some details of where it goes pls?

(there are two hoses that come off the canister. its not the one that goes through the firewall into vent controls. its the other one)

soobs_rule_m8

Post by soobs_rule_m8 » Tue May 23, 2006 9:49 am

I had the same prob. There should be a tee piece in one of your vacuum lines under the air filter (drivers side of the engine bay). Mine's hooked in there.

twc

Post by twc » Tue May 23, 2006 7:39 pm

MY l sreies has the t piece right next to the vacum switch right in front of the fire wall, drivers side, and single tube through the fire wall. I have nticed though that does appear to be in diferrent places on different cars, i guess due to whats easierst to do at the time of fixing it i suppose.

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Sun May 28, 2006 7:09 pm

ive looked round my engine bay sooo many times now, but still cant find where the (melted off) inlet hose used to connect to. there is no T pieces anywhere -incl. under air filter, or any other part for it to attach to.
no demister is very annoying.
more help please anyone?

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:56 pm

please - its soooo cold now!

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:23 am

I'll take some photos this Sat and post them
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:17 pm

got it.
went to my friendly wrecker to pick up a part and i asked and with his experience he fixed it in like 2 mins.
the hose that had burnt off was connected to a larger tube just next to the accelerator cable and just infront of the clutchbox thing for those of you who want to know.
YEAH!!! now i get demister/heater/aircon working properly!!

Return to “Trouble Shooting”