No longer able to drive '01 H6 wagon

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
pssonline

No longer able to drive '01 H6 wagon

Post by pssonline » Thu May 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Hey all, greets from Melbourne.

This is a bit on the bizarre side but I'll try and be as short and concise as I can.

Long story short, I have a slight disability (CP), fine driving anything that's auto. Picked up my '01 H6 in 2004 and loved being able to cart my 3-wheeled electric scooter in it with a minimum of fuss. Had surgery on both my legs in '07 and '08 and as a result, the angle and length of my legs is now rather different to when I first test drove and purchased the H6.

The problem is the shape of the transmission tunnel, from the side of the tunnel itself leading into a far more pronounced curve where the footwell/footrest are. It basically now pushes my weaker/less co-ordinated left foot to the right, causing pain and edging my foot towards the brake pedal.

It's somewhat difficulty to describe without pics but suffice it to say I do not have this problem with a '96 Magna as the right hand side of the tunnel and leading into the footrest/footwell area is essentially flat and flush, whereas the H6 has a quite pronounced hump/curve/arch etc..

My disability makes it difficult to drive something larger like a Commodore or Falcon wagon and that aside, I love the AWD grip, ability to transport my scooter and the fact that it would be fine as a family vehicle later on.

I've had a few people have a look underneath and the concensus seems to be that there is extremely little clearance with which to do anything in terms of flattening that specifc area. The way the footrest mounts also leaves no real room to work with there either.

Am I stuck for any other options here? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,

JT

Dane

Post by Dane » Thu May 20, 2010 2:17 pm

I'd hate to see you move away from a Subaru, but, have you had a look at AWD Magna(s). Not as common, but they're out there.

pssonline

Post by pssonline » Thu May 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Definitely not willing to move from the Subaru unless I absolutely have to. Was the AWD Magna released as a wagon too? I've only ever seen sedans.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu May 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Have you thought about putting a hook/piece of angle on the r/h side of the footrest so it sort of traps your foot by holding the r/h side of your shoe & prevents it from sliding across to the right? I did draw what I meant in paint but photobucket is down atm.
I would assume that a lot of the pain is caused by trying to keep your leg and foot away from the brake pedal.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

pssonline

Post by pssonline » Thu May 20, 2010 4:14 pm

Have thought about doing this; did a soft test with something similar not permanently rigged into place and without going into heaps of boring detail about the specifics of my legs/disability etc, you're right - the pain from trying to keep my foot away from the pedal was also there when the leg was being held in an 'unnatural' (for me) position.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu May 20, 2010 9:32 pm

A padded velcro strap attached to the console may be another option, once seated wrap it around the leg to hold it toward the left.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu May 20, 2010 10:22 pm

pssonline wrote:Definitely not willing to move from the Subaru unless I absolutely have to. Was the AWD Magna released as a wagon too? I've only ever seen sedans.
Nah they came only in sedan, but Ive seen people converting them to AWD on wagons.
Not good above, I am not experienced in that kind of area - wish could help...

Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Thu May 20, 2010 11:14 pm

i hate to say it but you may need to go front wheel drive..... and away from subaru. as far as i know (maybe exception to flori's) all front wheel drive subarus still have a trans tunnel. were other models like the magna would be flat floored, no need for a trans tunnel were the trans doesnt go

Dane

Post by Dane » Fri May 21, 2010 6:30 am

AlpineRaven wrote:Nah they came only in sedan, but Ive seen people converting them to AWD on wagons.
Not good above, I am not experienced in that kind of area - wish could help...

Cheers
AP

+1

But you would need to check the tunnel clearance still.

Maybe a lifted Subaru (increase body to trans distance) so you can bash/adjust the tunnel?

78sti

Post by 78sti » Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 am

An outback already has a 30mm lift kit and even though their is not much, there is plenty of space to do a little re shaping. and if think you shoul try to shop around a bit more to find someone willing to fix your problem.

A another option might be to extend the steering column and raise the pedal box and move the seat further back? away from the curve where the tunnel and foot rest are. also raise the foot rest.

I actually have the same car and notice this problem on long trips as my left leg goes to sleep as it is pushed accross and I have to fold it under my right leg for a while until I can feel my foot again, if that makes sence. I can imagine how this could become a big problem with a slight disability.

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Fri May 21, 2010 11:12 pm

d_generate wrote:A padded velcro strap attached to the console may be another option, once seated wrap it around the leg to hold it toward the left.
A bad option IMO.

:( :( :( :(
Peter

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Sun May 23, 2010 12:56 am

Would suggest a referral to an OT or physio involved with vehicle adaptation for those with physical challenges would be a good start.

Not having a crack, but this is a problem for experts that can asses you and your capabilities, but most importantly your interface with the car.

If the H6 is out, then some advice early may steer you in the right direction as to a more suitable vehicle.

All the best

Sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

lowace

Post by lowace » Sun May 23, 2010 8:42 am

Have you looked at the Mitsubishi Legnum they are AWD twin turbo 2.5v6 go like the clappers and are very well priced.Do 0 to 100kms in something like 5.8sec.
Just a thought if your running out of ideas and still want the wagon.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”