EA82 Major Problems

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
dommie13

EA82 Major Problems

Post by dommie13 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Hey,

So basically, My EA82 had problems for a while, major oil leak from what I thought was the front main.

So I pulled the motor out of the car, this would've been about 3 months ago(slack i know) Anyway, I bought the full gasket kit, did the head gaskets and everything, found the leak was actually from the oil pump seal, it was pinched. So I changed it and all was swell.

Put the motor back in, spent a bit of time connecting everything and getting everything ready to go, I thought the cams might have been out of time due to my stupidity. So I used this http://offroadingsubarus.com/timingbelt_ea82.html
very handy tutorial to put them back in time, 100% back in time now.

I've turned it over by hand and everything and all is good, so it's obviously not seized. Tried turning over by key and it was a bit of a struggle (battery not in greatest nic)

So I tried clutching it, roll down the hill, not very fast let it out, and the motor showed no sign of starting, turning over, but developed a major shake forcing me to worry about breaking something, so I put the clutch back in.

Tried this a couple of times and had no luck.

Now, my question is, where should I start? I am leaning towards something to do with the clutch/driveline.

Any idea?

Cheers

,Dom.

twilightprotege

Post by twilightprotege » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:47 pm

the shudder - sounds like just the clutch engaging to me. i get that when i let the clutch out too slowly on normal driving.

did you let the clutch all the way out? try letting it go out quicker if not (i've always let the clutch go out quickly when hill starting)

06 Foz, 2" lift, 225/70/16 tyres

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:33 pm

activate any choke mechanism before letting clutch out, in 2 nd gear. Tip a little petrol down carby throat before and fit airfilter box back to reduce chance of backfire

tony

Post by tony » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:04 am

First check the ignition timing it is easy to install the distributor the wrong way around or to get the distributor timing wrong or the leads in the wrong order.
second DO NOT try to start in 1st or 2nd gear the stress is too much on the drive line, always try to start in the highest gear, usually 3rd or even 4th if you can get enough steam up.
third (or first really) check you are getting spark at the plugs, no need to remove a plug just disconnect a lead and use an old plug.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:55 am

You are dealing with potentially multiple unrelated problems here.
I'd say conentrate on getting the motor starting and running by turning the ignition key.
Then tackle a possible clutch/driveline problem afterwards.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:48 am

Like AndrewT said...

Get hold of a good battery and start with the basics.. Fuel, Spark & Compression. Worry about the clutch after. IMO, the clutch isn't designed to have the force thrown back the other way.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

dommie13

Post by dommie13 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:25 pm

twilightprotege wrote:the shudder - sounds like just the clutch engaging to me. i get that when i let the clutch out too slowly on normal driving.

did you let the clutch all the way out? try letting it go out quicker if not (i've always let the clutch go out quickly when hill starting)
Yea clutch was all the way out, I tried in second as well.
tony wrote:First check the ignition timing it is easy to install the distributor the wrong way around or to get the distributor timing wrong or the leads in the wrong order.
second DO NOT try to start in 1st or 2nd gear the stress is too much on the drive line, always try to start in the highest gear, usually 3rd or even 4th if you can get enough steam up.
third (or first really) check you are getting spark at the plugs, no need to remove a plug just disconnect a lead and use an old plug.
I will check out the timing, but the distributor never came out or was moved. Leads are not in wrong order I believe, but I will check it out.

I'll give it a go in 3rd or 4th, thanks for that advice. And yea I'll go over it all and go over the usual things.
RSR 555 wrote:Like AndrewT said...

Get hold of a good battery and start with the basics.. Fuel, Spark & Compression. Worry about the clutch after. IMO, the clutch isn't designed to have the force thrown back the other way.
Yea I have a few good batteries now, still seems to have big trouble turning over, leads are getting hot. The points on the starter are all clean and tight.

Thanks for the advice from everybody, I'll get onto it tonight and try and make some progress.

Cheers

,Dom.

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:28 pm

i allways push start a car in 2nd gear and if it is a diesel used 4th only .
how can u say 2nd gear is too much stress on the drive line what a load of bull .
i do not think u have push start a lot of car .

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:30 pm

maybe the brushes in the starter are down and that will make the starter not turn over .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:45 pm

Distributor came off with heads didn't it? I tyried that but it lost its spot and neded resetting. Get #1 on top dead centre on the flywheel marks, pull non dizzy side cam cover off and look at the timing marks on the cam cog, shift fly to 20BTDC timng mark and note the cam cog should have shifted exactly two valleys, 36 teeth on cam cog, 360 degrees in circle divide by ten gives 36, shift cam cog two spots is 20deg on flywheel. In this position now look at dizzy stator/reluctor. Get a feeler gauge of 25 thou. The gap between the two bits lining up should be that 0.025". There it will start and need retiming with a light to your engine specs. Leads getting hot? You not jumpering to your stuffed battery are you? Sounds like you are. I wouldn't.

tony

Post by tony » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:36 am

phillatdarwin wrote:i allways push start a car in 2nd gear and if it is a diesel used 4th only .
how can u say 2nd gear is too much stress on the drive line what a load of bull .
i do not think u have push start a lot of car .
Ummm having owned over 200 cars mostly cheap old bombs I have done my share of push or roll starting.
but go ahead start in whatever gear you want. its your gearbox/axles/diff.

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:43 pm

that is ok i have push a lot 2
i had a landy once and it had a handle out the front .

tony

Post by tony » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:35 am

The handle on the front of the landy is for cranking the engine not pushing the car.
;)

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:24 pm

yer but not as much hard work

Return to “Trouble Shooting”