how risky is a loose captive bolt

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
RogDog

how risky is a loose captive bolt

Post by RogDog » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:57 pm

Heya, well the dreaded captive bolt separation has happened on my DL 1800.
the furthermost lift kit captive bolt on the passenger side axle has worked its way free due to off road fun. I have read up solutions which I wont be able to do without taking into a mechanic, so for now I am now having to considering risking driving it carefully just for essential driving.

I can see it may be very dangerous to drive, for instance loss of control under emergency braking etc, anyone have any suggestions? the two other captive bolts in that lift section are fine and solid. The hole where the captive bolt is loose has cracks coming off it.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:04 pm

Youll have to get a new nut welded to peice of flat bar, then weld the flat bar to the car.

Just be careful, cos if you keep driving it, the others will eventually come out.

Alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

RogDog

Post by RogDog » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:44 pm

ok all three supports have visable wear, i am wondering what may happen if i don't get this fixed in time, anyone have something drastic happen?

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:36 am

RogDog wrote:ok all three supports have visable wear, i am wondering what may happen if i don't get this fixed in time, anyone have something drastic happen?
you really want an answer to that?
you must fix it pronto.
in meanwhile be kind with your braking, i'd bet you can hear/feel the flex that is happening.
plenty of threads on this forum about fixing it.
good luck

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:37 pm

get onto it. if i was to repair mine again (myself that is) is cut a hole in the floor well and put a piece of flat bar in there and a new nut n bolt through it so it wont come back through. then once in place weld stuff back up.

RogDog

Post by RogDog » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:59 pm

cool ok, I'm going research the hell out of every related post and do it myself. although I may not after I research it, ha.

RogDog

Post by RogDog » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:48 am

I've decided to buy another white car, unregistered and roadworthy. I'll put on my current registration sticker, and change any VIN number over. that way I can repair the damaged one in my own time over months if need be, and use it for spare parts while using the new one.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:06 pm

You could also buy a registered one and make some of the difference in money back by wrecking your current one and selling parts, also by handing in your plates and getting a refund on the remaining rego. It's legal at least.

RogDog

Post by RogDog » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:04 pm

oh wikid, i didn't know that could be done. I just reasoned since the car is currently not roadworthy, I'd do it my way, cause even though it's not legal;, it would be safe for my passengers, other road users and myself.

definitely shall look into your suggestion, cheers.

RogDog

Post by RogDog » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:37 pm

just an update, I have cut away a small section of the floor and have put in a piece of 6mm flat bar with a threaded hole for the new bolt with a nut at the end, no welding necessary. everything seems secure and good. The middle one will need spot welding at minimum. For now i'll feel ok about driving it once i put in another piece of flatbar in for the furthest back captive bolt.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:12 pm

RogDog wrote:I have cut away a small section of the floor and have put in a piece of 6mm flat bar with a threaded hole for the new bolt with a nut at the end, no welding necessary. everything seems secure and good.
It would probabily be best if you could weld the nut to the flat plate and the flat plate to the chassis rail once you've got the bolt back in (so you know its in the right spot) - this way you know it won't move. I would also look at replacing the other loose nuts with the same flat bar method rather than re-welding them.

My 2c, ultimately its your subi and piece of mind...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RogDog

Post by RogDog » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:35 pm

cool yep, i really want to reinforce the whole area once i get my hands on a welder and practice using it. Ideally i'll reinforce both sides of the car when i get the chance. for now, no off-roading for me till it's attended to. im so stoked its all relatively secure again, just wish i had done it sooner now, lesson learnt.

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:50 pm

good stuff mate. glad its workin for ya.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”