paint question

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
steest

paint question

Post by steest » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:31 am

Hello
Im wanting to touch up the paint on a few surface rust spots on my 82 beige sportswagon. How do I find the paint code and any help/suggestions om how to do it much appreciated. Happy New Year. steve

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:35 pm

its on the build plate in the engine bay.....best way is if it only a small area is buy a very good brush and do it that way....no matter what you do you will notice it..if you polish the car then go to a paint shop they will be able to colour match it so it wont be as bad (old paint next to fresh unfaded)...i always get my paints colour matched to allow for changes in clour and brightness over the years....all paints will dull off
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

steest

paint

Post by steest » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:11 am

thanks chubby,
Gave subaru dealer the nos on firewall. Their comp. only goes to 1988. He said there should be a three digit number somewhere but I cant find another number. I suppose it doesnt really matter as you said, its faded, Do you know of anywhere on Sunshine Cooast/Bris that can colour match? Do you get it as an aerosol or normal tin. thanks steve

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:17 am

my paint guy is at ipswich but any smash repair shop should colour match some paint for you...get a ltr of mixed/thined paint done up...if you take that paint to auto barn they can put it in spray cans for you....a ltr of mixed paint will give you 2 or 3 spresure pack cans....i think auto barn charge about $25 each spray can they do....cheaper option if you have a compressor is to just spray it yourself....if you were down this way i would be more then happy to spray a bit of paint on once you did the repairs

ps...if its a non matelic colour which on an L it should be you can get what they call a solid paint mix....dont need to apply clear....just spray it and when its dry give it a buff
ImageImage

steest

paint

Post by steest » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks for the offer-that would be great but Im a bit far away. Ill go to a paint/panel shop next week and do what you suggest. Two or three cans would do me I reckon. Its a 1982 sportswagon that was given to me by family member-its only done 153000 km no rust other than little surface spots so I thought Id better keep on top of it. Not real worried about its looks more worried about rust. It has been a fantastic car so far. I need a headlight protector and thats about it at the moment. Thanks again for the help its really appreciated.steve

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:55 am

thats ok....look into a rust control unit to stop her rusting out or furtan i think its called....its a rust preventing spray....i have a few sets of L series headlight protectors if you ever get down this way....i'm into libs now i have no use for them.
ImageImage

steest

Post by steest » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:02 am

I thought the 80-82 models are called m series. Just remembered the uncle who gave it to me moved to Ipswich. Eastern Heights is that near you? We have plans to visit soon so if they fit it might work out and I could say gday. How much would you want? steve

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:05 am

oh ok...sorry i for some reason thought you had an L series.....sorry.....yeah the 8os were called the my but they are really a J series

what i mentioned is still the same even tho i had a brain fart and was thinking L
yes your family are just round the corner from me....3 minute drive....i'm in blackstone
ImageImage

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:49 am

mate if you can use them to make something to fit your car you can have them....call me if your going to be down on 0406337409...bill
ImageImage

steest

paint

Post by steest » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:13 pm

Thanks Bill, I'm going to see if I can get the protectors new but dont like my chances, I had a look at the spots needing painting and there isnt lots so Ill investigate the paint lke you said next week. Thanks for all your help and Ill let you know what happens and how it goes if you're interested. thanks Steve

Return to “Trouble Shooting”