Gear box and Shaft will not locate.

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
BlackMale
General Member

Gear box and Shaft will not locate.

Post by BlackMale » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:49 pm

Its an L series AWD box and I can not get the dam drive shaft (or what ever you want to call it) to locate in the back of the gear box. It will go in about the distance to where the teeth/groves start on the shaft and then will travel no further. I have attempted to lube/move/adjust just a few mil and attempt to insert again however it will not go all the way on.

In addition to his i have inspected the rubber seal and shaft (from what i could see) on the gear box and the teeth on the shaft itself - all appear to be ok. I have 2 other shafts here and all 3 look exactly the same (with 1 tooth/grove missing opp each other).

I do not have a spare box here anymore to compare the differences. I have even taken the shaft apart at the centre bearing and attempted to tap it in with the rubber mallet however nup, no success. Any ideas? (its doing my freaken head in).

Cheers.
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:04 pm

well first of all is it the right spline?

try putting it in gear and try. assuming its mated to the engine then it cant turn the output shaft (off the box) with the Tailshaft as your trying to insert it if the splines are not aligned yet.

What do you mean by "With one tooth/groove missing opposite each other"?
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:10 pm

loosen off the pressure plate bolts and the box should slide on. Then tighten them thru the starter motor hole. You'll have to turn the motor over via the crank pulley to access all the bolts to do them up again

Alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:22 pm

Guys, he is talking about inserting the tailshaft into the rear of the gearbox...

Craig just persevere, sometimes they can be a bastard. Insert it to the point where it stops then take the pressure off slightly and just rotate the tailshaft gently, soon enough you will find the spot and it will just drop in.

As far as I know there are no differences between models here, I have never heard of different L series tailshafts depending on model (except auto ones which are a different length).

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:27 pm

Yer thanks Matatak i did mean to put it in gear and kept forgetting – I’ll try that next time I am out there.

Alex I am not sure how this would help, I think you’ve got the wrong end of the box. If not you’ll need to clarify this for me.
Matatak wrote:What do you mean by "With one tooth/groove missing opposite each other"?
When i had a look all 3 L shafts had an entire tooth missing 180 degrees apart from each other. All 3 are genuine Subaru L tail shafts (thanks do you think I could think of that 10 minutes ago) and all look the same so I just figured that’s how they are – I have to say I have never looked before as the little buggers have always just gone on. The box does not have the same tooth missing however 1 of the shafts came off this box so any one of them will/should fit back on (i would have thought).

Maybe i just need to stop being soft with it.
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:38 pm

BlackMale wrote: Alex I am not sure how this would help, I think you’ve got the wrong end of the box. If not you’ll need to clarify this for me.
lol whhoops....damn lack of sleep. :D

lots of WD40 has helped me slide the tailshaft onto the back of the box. Thats all i can say at the moment.,

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:19 am

Dam there a huge delay in the posting time here - AndrewT your post was not there last night!?

Thanks Andrew, its just peeved me off and i though that maybe i missed something.
No worries Alex.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:30 am

Yeah you might have just not noticed it, I posted it while you were already in the process of replying (I know this from looking at your "current activity" at the time) so it ended up positioned above yours. Good luck with getting it to fit!

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:10 pm

OK there will almost need to be a reward for whoever can solve this 1...

Basically i spend 1/2 an hour stuffing around with the shaft and it WOULD NOT locate on the back of the box... box in/out gear, mallet no mallet, greese, Lanolin all = sweet F/A.

P1ssed off and fed up i went back to the shed for another tail shaft to compair in the bright day light. They still look EXACTLY the same however heres the kicker... 1 shaft fits perfectly (slid on with box out of gear just as it bloody should) with no effort at all while the other 1 will not fit regradless.

Pictured below is 2 L series tail shafts. Note both shafts are from manual L series's. If you want more detailed pictures let me know however someone want to have a guess at what i have missed and why 1 of the shafts will not fit... its got be buggered?! I should add that i have measured the 2 shafts and there is less then 1mm difference between the 2 shafts.

Not a bit issues if noone know's as at least i have a shaft that fit.
Cheers.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:47 pm

I'm interested to come over and *feel* the problem for myself!

Try dusting some talcum powder (or similar) on it, test fit, take it off and see if there are any obvious marks where something is scraping or something. Maybe the shroud which your fingers are inside in those photos is slightly mis-shaped.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:17 pm

Maybe a burred spline in the shaft or evena wee bit of rust.If its got grease on the inside is it hydraulicing[bad spelling].Even liberty t/shafts will fit onto a l box.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:11 pm

Nup i have had my fingers all over both splines (fe/male - up to the knuckle) and nothing obvious no cuts to finger did not feel anything ect.

Yer i did think about corrosion so i gave it a very light rub'n with the file and then some lube but nope.

I did think about the grease option and wiped it all out and then soaked in Lanolin, still nothing.

See this is why i was getting peeved off. I do like the powder idea Andrew but not sure if i can be bugged cleaning/degrease off all the lube only to dry and cover in powder to see if i can where its hitting. Maybe if i did not have a shaft that fit :p
If i ever get it sussed i'll be sure to let you know but.

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:36 pm

could try counting the number of splines on the box, and on the tailshaft

may just be some strange freak shaft :P

otherwise try a big hammer and just belt it on (a spare box would be good for that tho) youll soon find out if its going to fit or not

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:44 pm

Did the one on the right go in and the one on the left not? Top pic I am talking about.

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:04 am

Outback bloke wrote:Did the one on the right go in and the one on the left not? Top pic I am talking about.
Hmmm, you'd be correct - care to elaborate or you just taking a punt?

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:49 pm

The one on the left looks like it has surface rust as already said. If they have any rust they won't go in. You need some fine wet and dry and to give it a really good clean.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:09 pm

I figured the freshly painted one would be the one first intended to be installed?

Lang

Post by Lang » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:12 pm

Is it my eyes or the photo however the right hand side shaft appears to be slightly oval.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:51 am

Did you end up resolving this?

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:35 pm

long time between posts so i hope so. usually they are piss easy to slide on.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”