Exausts

Subaruba...

Exausts

Post by Subaruba... » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:50 pm

So i just purchased a Tourer, 2" on the 14" sunnies, with a bullbar and a sunroof. The bloke i bought it off just put a shiney new muffler cause the old one was pretty noisey he reckoned. Thing is its substantionally underpowered and hwy driving in the mornings means dropping to 4th every 500m to bring it back up into the power range so i dont just stop in 5th. Id like an exuast, but more importantly, some advice on who in hobart will do it, do it well, and do it cheap like a budgie. cheers

Josh S

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:27 am

Another L wagon, fantastic.
Welcome to the boards Josh.

I used carline mufflers in Argyle Street, the owner is a very nice bloke and DOES WHAT YOU ASK!
Great results at an agreed prrice.
He bends headers too.

Might pay to look at your timing and run a tank of premium through it too.

Cheers

Matt
1989 Subaru WonderBrumby II
EJ22 Dual range AWD lifted, widened and much happier now thanks very much.

1991 L Series wagon, white and perfectly normal apart from the ticking, no I think that is normal.

Jet boat..webbered EA81 with a hybrid tin dish welded and glued to it.

subelover

Post by subelover » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:13 pm

hi josh i went to carline in mornington and got 2 1/4 and hi flow rear muffler for 220$ fitted and u have heard and driven my car m8...lol

and like matt said next time u come round we will do ur timing aand give her a service and a few others things aye..cheers ooh and welcome to the forum everyone on here are fantastic and very helpful ...BEN
i have a problem....subaruitus

Subaruba...

Post by Subaruba... » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:47 pm

Brilliant cheers, anyone know anyone who wants a brand new muffler in about....oh say january?? haha a bit late for you eh ben with the carb wagon. Im wondering if compression might be an issue too, and if it might be worth doing a compression test some day. Once she's serviced and tuned ill re-asses. I think im just used to my old little civic (aka rocket ship), which was a zippy little number, anyway no complaining, im very happy for the upgrade....

btw nice picture of jeremy off top gear in that arial atom, thats a sweet episode... iv aquired most of the episodes made from '02 to '06 off my mates. very distracting when trying to work

MY_STI

Post by MY_STI » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:13 pm

Welcome aboard mate, good to have another tassie member.

Do you get her dirty, or is she too good for that? the car!

If its a carb and your keen to keep it that way, a weber carb will go a long way.

If its injected you could always give it little boost. :)

Will

tassyraider

Post by tassyraider » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:02 pm

hi SIR,you luv your snails dont ya,thinking about ya trip mabee 2" lift while im goin with prodject ay .cheerz ME
current ej18 awd targa brumby
95 impreza awd sportz wagon

Subaruba...

Post by Subaruba... » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi there, cheers tis good to be here. She gets dirty, but keen not to smack the crap out of my underbody like someone i know... and she's EFI, and whilst a bit more brum would be right up my ally, im 19 and dont fancy having to flip burgers or something till im 130 to pay it off each year.

New heads though, new CV's / driveshafts, new steering racks, 2" lift and 14" sunnies, bullbar and came with a good old CD player so i dont have to piss about finding a platic face plate thing to mount over the cassette player. The bloke spent 3000 on it in the last 6 months, then sold it to me. Im not complaining, but would loooove some more power.
Josh

ill put a photo up soon

Subaruba...

Post by Subaruba... » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:42 pm

Here's a link of a picture i took last weekend of the beast.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/ ... 010145.jpg

Josh

ps that photobucket thing is sweet, it makes URL's of photos for you.

MY_STI

Post by MY_STI » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:02 pm

Nice, sounds and looks very tidy, can't blame you for wanting to preserve the underbody.

Might be able to track down an ea82t if you were keen, only have to flip burgers untill you are 55. lol

Subaruba...

Post by Subaruba... » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:44 pm

Well thank you kindly, however its a 1989 model so its is already has an EA82 motor. I reckon if i ever do want a recon, which i may in the not very near future, id try for a recond EJ20 or 22. Just reckon the technology might be a bit better and obviously the performance is increased.

But yea no big enginey type plans too soon. Ben and I are gonna cut some holes in the intake and id like to smack an exaust on (read above) so once thats done and she's tuned and served i should stop complaining.

tasscube

Post by tasscube » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:33 am

Hi all, have recently moved back to tasssie after decades on the mainland the last in Alice springs, where I found it necessary to modify my forrester to get me out and about and thus started an obsession. The only problem I have had is after having installed a subaxtreme rear bumper I then had a sports muffler installed, the guy at the muffler centre said he would use a well baffled muffler as he has seen too many subes go backwards (power wise) as they like a bit of back pressure apparently, but it might be my imagination but some 6 months later the sube does seem to be losing some grunt especially up hill which is frustrating as it sounds quite good and very practical tucked up high and out of harms way. Any one else aware of this ? maybe a tank of high octane and a tune up might help. will post a pic later.

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:19 am

Welcome aboard Tasscube, I don't think that your power loss would take that amount of time to appear, more to do with tune I think.
The muffler man was spot on, back pressure is a must for torque with these beasts. Normally asperated engines even more so I am led to believe.

Are you coming to play with the group? we have a few things in the pipeline...

Chees,
Matt
1989 Subaru WonderBrumby II
EJ22 Dual range AWD lifted, widened and much happier now thanks very much.

1991 L Series wagon, white and perfectly normal apart from the ticking, no I think that is normal.

Jet boat..webbered EA81 with a hybrid tin dish welded and glued to it.

MY_STI

Post by MY_STI » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:08 pm

Welcome back to tassie, and to the boards.

scavenging definatly helps torque down low, nothing a bit of positive manifold pressure wouldn't fix though!

On a serious note the slight and progressive loss of power sounds more like a sensor of something, which might be giving inaccurate information to the ecu, have you noticed any difference in fuel consuption?

I would reccomend using at least 95 RON, its generally a 'cleaner' fuel and the ecu should 'learn' a few extra degrees of advance (more power).

Hope the power loss isn't to large, was going to use a 2.5' straight thru lukey muffler on the ej22. If it is might have to do something fun like add some boost.

Will

tasscube

Post by tasscube » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:26 pm

Thanks all, no there isn't a great loss of power only a perceived loss of grunt up hills, but then the forrester has never been challenged by hills before tassie. Overall it has been very reliable and have tried the premium fuel and seems ok. You may see it around Hobart, a black forrester with subaxtreme front and rear bumpers, cooper ATs, pedder coils and a few other bits and pieces, still saving for the lift kit which should help overall. Will try to attend some get togethers when possible (shift worker !! ), would be good to see a formal sube club for tassie, but forming clubs are a hassle. Will keep posting.

RayF

Return to “Tasmania”