Finke 2008

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:47 pm

So I take it nobody wants to cross the simpson on the way there ?

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:35 pm

No thanks.
Settlement Creek Racing

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:02 pm

vincentvega wrote:is he an alcoholic by any chance?
Would you like me to bring one:rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:55 pm

well there you go... looks like you cant rely on google maps for outback travel ;)

had a closer look at it and google maps does show the main road from four ways to julia creek passing through Taldora. dodgy!
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:35 pm

Lightning_Silver_RX wrote:So I take it nobody wants to cross the simpson on the way there ?
Haven't really thought about which way yet. Depends on what day I get home from Fraser. If I am home on Friday and we leave Sunday then we will have time to play. Get home Saturday and leave Monday and it is a case of drive straight there the quickest and easiest way.

Depends on what van I take at the time too. We are looking at options other than the one we took last time.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:38 am

Simpson takes a little more trip prep than that. I'd say another time in that case. I may do it again, but will have to see what my mate wants to do. There are permits and flags to get and at least two spare wheel/tyres. 600km fuel range in soft sand and I wouldn't be reccomending any trailers.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:43 am

I am happy to take the plenty in to alice, and leave the simpson for a future trip. we are pushing it as it is kms wire i reckon, 7500kms in 3 weeks is a lot if we want to have days not spent on the road

I have read that the plenty highway is pretty nasty to tyres, should we all be looking at taking 2 spares anyway? Or just a spare and a shell, there is a station along hte plenty that can do tyre repairs
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:55 am

Ok. So who is going to be traveling from Brisbane and on which day are you planning to leave ?
For me, the non simpson way, leaving on the monday and getting to Longreach. Camping out somewhere there, what ever takes my fancy. There were some spots down by the river if I remember correctly. Longreach to somewhere on the plenty (tobermorey or jervis). Somewhere to Alice to my apparently giant camping site in the van park. Stuff around doing finke things with maybe a night out on the track on the saturday.
From there I suppose I'll play follow the brumbyrunner.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:54 pm

I will leave Sunday, and meet you in somwehere in Longreach monday night.

The rest of your plan sounds like a winner. I am keen to do the plenty over 2 days, so the stop in the middle sounds good.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:56 pm

soft sand and I wouldn't be reccomending any trailers.
Not hard to tell who isn't driving a Subaru is it.:twisted: The trip hasn't even started yet and I am already hanging it on you. :D Bet I get a bigger pig than you to.

subiwidow

Post by subiwidow » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:31 pm

We will leave on the Monday as well. I should send Brett to Fraser with a tent so I can be packing the van when he is gone. We have to be home on the 21st at the latest as it our daughters birthday, and she will not be happy if we are away.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:11 pm

Sunday or monday is ok.Dane if you leave on sunday would you be stopping at emerald sunday night?Then off to longreach monday?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:45 pm

not sure where I will stop but it will be somewhere roughly half way from here to Longreach.

I didnt get to do the touristy stuff at longreach last year so I want to try and get there early and have a few hours to check the place out.

I am keen to head out with you guys though.

damn they know how to sell longreach

1181km north west of Brisbane
416km to the nearest McDonalds

sounds good to me!

edit: Morven, Clara Creek or Augathella look OK to me. It would be nice to put the warrego highway behind us on day 1, and then its only 500ish km to longreach the next day

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:19 am

BYB-01 wrote:Not hard to tell who isn't driving a Subaru is it.:twisted: The trip hasn't even started yet and I am already hanging it on you. :D Bet I get a bigger pig than you to.

Its not that people haven't towed trailers through there but it does wreck the tracks and make it a very very very roungh way to travel. Its also a place that is renown for killing trailers and then having to pay many thousands of dollars to get it retrieved.;)

You just wait old man. Might be ordering myself a new car in early next year. Engine specs are yet to be released but I'm hoping that there will be power up chips to completement the exhaust I'll be fitting. Something around 150kw with 450nm should be close though :mrgreen:

As for piggies, you'll have to be good. The plan is to have boom sticks and go on some night time runs too:)

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:49 pm

Sounds like a Navana with a dtronic?
Settlement Creek Racing

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:17 pm

SSssshhhh, be vewy vewy quiet. We aren't allowed to talk non subies remember.

subiwidow

Post by subiwidow » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:46 pm

I didnt get to do the touristy stuff at longreach last year so I want to try and get there early and have a few hours to check the place out.

I would try to get to QANTAS musuem, but personally I didn't like the Stockman Hall of Fame. And the caravan park had a rude host.
I don't want to go back there.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:50 pm

yeah the qantas museum looks good to me. doubt I will have time for much else anyway

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:25 am

so its 2008 now have we got any more plans yet??
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:20 pm

Yep. I'm planning to go.
Brisbane to Alice Springs via plenty hwy
Bum around in Alice springs for finke etc. No actual plans there, just do whatever when ever. Campsite is booked for a week so its all good.
Alice Springs to Wollogotraz for a bit of this and that.
Wollogotraz to home
Total 3 weeks and plenty of km's.

Return to “Northern Territory”