Morayfield, Wollogorang, and Back

subiwidow

Morayfield, Wollogorang, and Back (part 1 and 2)

Post by subiwidow » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:12 pm

Sorry for the delay, I was leaving it up to Brett.
Trippers...
Brett, Megan & Jake Liberty wagon towing Camper
Dave Liberty wagon towing trailer
Wilber Hi-Lux packed to the top
Will, Barry(father) and Mick L-Series packed fully inside and out-roof racks

We left on Saturday nice and early and headed up and out to Emerald. We should have sensed something when the car had a problem getting out of the street. Brett had knocked the cam sensor the day before when he was doing the spark plugs. The only mishap on the day was a very polite Kangaroo that stood on the side of the road, looked for traffic and then proceeded to cross right in front of our car.

We headed to Longreach, via Ilfracombe. We stopped to have a look at the street of machinery, and Will's L Series didn't want to re-start. Made it to Longreach, and he had a better look. A bolt had come loose on the torque converter. This is where Will's dad Barry, started the trip with us. We took a look at the QANTAS Museum (great) and the Hall of Fame.(wouldn't waste my time)(my opinion). We were going to see the Dinosaur foot prints outside Winton, but we decided to stay on the main track and get to Stuarts. We camped at the Combo Water Hole, the boys had a look around. Brett was amazed at the man made dam walls. As we arrived at most places on dusk and left early, we didn't do a lot of sight seeing when we pulled up to rest.

Stopped at Cloncurry to stock up on supplies of food, and parts and bourbon. We had two CV Boots ripped, and needed the grease to pack it. Will started to have a few more problems. He thought he was getting an egg in the tyre. Changed that, but the shudder didn't go away. Made it to Gregory Downs. As this was the last of the bitumen, we decided to call it a day and start the dirt trip in the morning. We were told, from the pub/garage owner (that is all the town has) that "we could camp down the back, nice spot".

Got down the back to find the place PACKED with grey nomads. These people are obsessed with white vans, and white cars. We took the 4wd track to get away from them. Found a great spot in the creek bed. The peace and tranquility was amazing, until the boys went to bed. Out of 8 people, 3 were very good snorers. They also snore in harmony.

Will's car had given up completely. He organized RACQ to get the car, and his wonderful mother to bring a car from Townsville. Keep in mind she had just returned to Ayr after dropping Barry off to Longreach to join us. William is a very lucky boy to have his mum do this. We proceeded on to Stuarts while Will, Barry, and Mick ( who loved being stranded at a pub) kept the locals financially secure. We arrived at Stuarts that arvo about 5 hrs after doing about 220 k's. All dust.

We were fed like Kings, and Queens. Wow can Mary-Anne cook. Stuart gave us the tour. We got in the road while he tried to work. We watched and learned how the place was worked. I got to feed day old calves. I was smiling like a kid at Christmas. They are the most adorable animals.

We watched the road train unload. Wilber stirred up a very angry cow. She wanted a piece of him. The boys played with the race car. Stuart took Brett and Dave for a plane trip around the property. Gave them some hints on where to camp and fish. As Stuarts was once a road house, he still gets people stopping in asking for help. A couple that were travelling with friends crashed into each other. (hire vehicle)Didn't see the other stop in the dust. As a truck was comming out the next day with supplies for the farm, they organiseed for the truck to freight thebroken van back to town. Lucky he had a loading bay for car to be loaded onto trucks.

We headed to the beach to camp for the first few days. Will met us at the beach, in the Hi-Lux. Not as much "people" room but heaps of space for the stuff with the canopy on the back. We made home near the entrance to Tully Inlet. It's amazing how far the tide moves between high and low tide. It was a long walk to the waters edge on Low tide. The boys got some good fish, Queenie, salmon, and sharks. We had 20k's of beach between Tully Inlet and Massacre Inlet. One bull made this his Kingdom. He was not moving for anyone, went around him, and we were happy with that, he was to big to argue with.
to be continued with pics............

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:56 am

Here's what pics and vid I've uploaded - http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f97/p ... /?start=60

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:20 pm

so insanely jealous, i hate you guys
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

subiwidow

Post by subiwidow » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:45 pm

From a guy that gets to travel to overseas places.......Wow.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:06 pm

I'd hate to sound like I'm trumpeting in but I beg to differ on the wow. O/S is nice, but nowhere I've been compares to the two trips I just did here.

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:16 pm

Pffft to overseas,
Best of the World is right here.

Why else would everyone fight so hard to get here.
1989 Subaru WonderBrumby II
EJ22 Dual range AWD lifted, widened and much happier now thanks very much.

1991 L Series wagon, white and perfectly normal apart from the ticking, no I think that is normal.

Jet boat..webbered EA81 with a hybrid tin dish welded and glued to it.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:26 pm

How soon is too soon to go back? Best fun I have had in a very long time.

I think our week stay has put brumbyrunner back 4 weeks in work time. We drank all his alcohol, ate all his meat, scared his pigs, dingoes and roos. Not to mention the cows now needing therapy after Wilburs antics at the yards and having the worlds brightest bull catcher (orange Liberty) sneaking up on them. Unfortunately we didn't scare enough fish or crabs but next time we will.

We are already making plans for Finke next year along with the big red rock and possibly some more touring around that area.

One other bonus is I only managed to lose one arrow. I do think I need to take more next time though. Just in case Wilbur and I happen across the 44 gallon drum on legs we had scare the daylights out of us one hunting trip.

subiwidow

Post by subiwidow » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:52 pm

continued......
We made camp at the Beach for a few days. Fishing, exploring, site seeing, lazing about, and drinking. Considering we were right out in the elements, only 2 trees for protection there was not a lot of wind, and not many mozzies. Matter of fact the weather was amazing. According the weather we had 30+ temps, and you harldy cracked a sweat. Only one night on the whole trip did we use any aerogard.

We found a good fishing spot. I was willing to make it a good camping spot. The bank was nice and high, but on low tide we saw ALOT of croc slides on the other side of the river. Not little ones either, bloody big ones, and the water looked very muddy and not safe. We went back the next day to fish there, it was high tide at this stage, all the slides were covered up, and the water was beautiful and blue. Had we not seen it the day before we may have been tempted to swim in it. Got some mud crabs from this river, they were great eating. We saw a few snakes on the sand. Time to move.......

A few of the hunters went out one night, didn't hunt anything, but found a camp beside the river inland a bit. We moved the next morning. We had to do a run back to the property for fuel and water. Brett went through 250 litres of fuel. Just at Stuarts property, 600 K's he covered. It is only 80 k's from the house to the beach. I'll let you do the maths, but thats alot of driving.

We got back to Stuarts to find he had bought a Fire Truck (as you do). His Dad spotted a bargain. An old Merc, only 11,000 k's. What a beast. It came in handy as the paddocks were still alight. Forgot to mention when we got there a small fire had broken out, and we got to help and watch them backburn. What an awesome sight. All the birds hovering to catch anything comming out of the bush. So the truck gave them some good help.

Brett and I went back to camp, as Jake was back there with Will. Wilber, Dave, and Mick got very intoxicated and stayed the night at the house. We had a beautiful creek/river on one side and a water hole on the other. There was a good drop off to the river, so we were safe from crocs. We did see a few babies in this part, under a metre. Jake caught a few sharks, good size I was told, didn't get to see them. At night the noise coming from the river was busy. We put a light on it, and fish were jumping every where. We heard noises like crocs make. It was hard to sleep.

We had to cross the road/fire break to get to the waterhole. It to had crocs in it. Lots of feral animals for the hunters. They were kept busy at this camp. Brett and Wilber had to make a fast get away from a pig built like a 44 gallon drum, with legs. Jake startled a pig, while in the bushes (you can use your mind to work out why) and was forced up a tree to get away from it.

Mick was getting board so decided to make a sign, just in case anyone was lost and needed to find a spot. Dave even put a bush toilet under the sign for a place to sit and rest, while you wait. We were closer to PNG 900 k's than to home 1900 k's.

Had a bit of a scare. Jake was throwing the cast net and got barbed by a fish on his foot. Neither of us recognized it, and Brett was off playing Robin Hood, so it was hard to get him on the 2 way. It was like a stinger in his foot, it went away with the stingoes. We spent a couple of days there, but it was time to move on.

On the way back to the house we came across the trusty fire truck in the middle of no where, so we thought. It was where Stuart had left it "as the fires are out there not at the house, so why bring it back". He told this to the German girl that works for him, when they were returning home after fighting fires one night.

We had a feast again that night, and a few drinks to say thank you for having us. We were very privileged to be "let loose" in an amazing place. We are so grateful to Stuart, Mary Anne, Jim and the kids for having us, sharing their lives with us. Thanks.

Friday morning we left, not willing, but we had to go. The rain had settled the bull dust, yah, this how ever made lots of mud. It stuck to everything, and we had lots of it. All over the car, camper, Dave's trailer was now a lovely shade of brown. Lucky we had an orange car, as everyones had a look of orange when we got back on the black stuff.

Drove through to Kurumba, via Normanton and the Purple Pub. No one wanted to touch the wet mud on the camping gear, so we shouted ourselves to accommodation in a caravan park. We shocked a lot of old people with the dirty cars. They were worried about getting their lovely white vans dirty. Drinks and dinner at the pub, how civilized we were.

Wilber left Saturday morning, with Jake. We found out later they got home about 10am Sunday. After he dropped he spent the day on my lounge sleeping. He had to be back at work on Monday. The rest of us had another week.

We went on to Cobbold Gorge, Robin Hood Station, did the tour. Nice.... worth doing if your in the area. We went to Undara the next day and looked at the Lava tunnels. Wow....well worth the tour. This is where we parted from Dave, he went on to Cairns, we headed to Townsville. Dave had trailer problems on the way. We have CV issues, and gear box problems. So when we got to Townsville, we called RACQ and called it quits. Will has rello's in Townsville, so he stayed on for a few more days. After organizing the car, and van (thank you Will he towed the van home for us ) we headed to the airport. We got home Monday, the van Thursday, and the car the Monday after.

Thanks to all that came, all we saw, and all that gave us food. We had a ball, and have started planning next years trip. Finke, the rock, and back to Stuarts (if he will have us) for a quick visit. :-D:-D:-D

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:10 pm

Some pics going up now. Link below for now. I will put them in here once I have got them all up.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:27 pm

I have to agree with brumberty. I have seen some amazing places in my travels overseas, but i have never found a better place to call home.

I really need to stop heading OS, and start doing more stuff here. You guys have made me keener than ever
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Return to “Northern Territory”