Radiator replacement

JP147

Radiator replacement

Post by JP147 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:17 pm

Anyone know a good place to buy a cheap radiator for EA81?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:24 pm

brand new after market $145 dollars + 15 dollars postage

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminum-Rad ... Sw3xJVfne5

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:34 pm

my write up

http://www.ausubaru.com.au/showthread.php?t=25575

I have a spare one ATM if you need it urgently

OKsubaru

ever had smoked blown up yer date ??

Post by OKsubaru » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:16 pm

henpecked wrote:my write up

http://www.ausubaru.com.au/showthread.php?t=25575

I have a spare one ATM if you need it urgently
pull the other one with this listing in thread post above. A radiator that fits both L Series and MY Brumby must be good!
:)

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:54 pm

OKsubaru wrote:with this listing in thread post above. A radiator that fits both L Series and MY Brumby must be good!
Yes right at the end it says "Leone L series 4WD & wagon : from 11/1979 to 12/1984"

I'm glad for you that you are so enthusiastic about the concept - unfortunately there is no such radiator, the mounts and sizes are completely different between the series 2 (79-84) and the series 3 (1985 - 1990)

Really hope that you weren't taken in by the mistake in the listing, many newbies to this forum have also been accidentally fooled by that , so i hope you won't be embarrassed by your mistake. Hopefully you haven't bought the above radiator for your 1985+ Series L. I'm certain that if you did they will give you your money back - particularly if you point out to them that you ( probably) did not know the year of manufacture of your own car.

BUT it is a fantastic pic up by your vigilant self, it is true there are obviously a few foolish people out there that could not work out that it should read MY and not L, and who probably could not work out that their "1985-1991 L series Leonie " is actually a different model than a 1979 to 1984 model Leonie.

If it is of help to you I can post up some links to service manuals that may assist you, or if you can't work out how to download them, I'm happy to photocopy the relevant pages and post them to you -so if you would like to PM me your full name, address, date of birth, bank account numbers, and a scan of your birth certificate and passport I'll get that done for you ASAP or at least before the next century. :D XOXO

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:54 am

Well that escalated quickly :)

I believe it is more about the part supplier not having a clue as to the model designation of the early Subaru models and going of the part supplier catalogues.

Even the link I posted has the same information.

They do sell an "L" series radiator which is completely different to the "MY" series radiator.

Perhaps a politely worded email to the sellers could point out that the early wagons sedans and coupes are designated "MY" and the later models are "L" series, but there is the problem of the imprezas going back to the "MY" designation as well isn't there?

Oh Subaru you give me a headache :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:49 pm

It's always been confusing for people because of the terrible accuracy of parts listings.
Also "L Series" just doesn't sound like the same of a car. The wagon's don't really say the name of the car anywhere on them either.

Last week there was an L series wagon advertised on Gumtree here as a "1987 Subaru Outback wagon". For some reason it had a pinstripe along the side with the word "Outback" in the sticker at the rear. 1 owner from new, so the owner had thought they were driving a Subaru Outback the entire time just because a sticker on the side said Outback (probably stuck on before they even invented the Outback).

JP147

Post by JP147 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Thanks guys, I will get it. No hurry, this one has been leaking for at least 2 years. It has only gotten worse in the last few weeks but the coolant level still hasn't gone down noticeably.

So the original metal shrouded electric fan doesn't fit and I will have to get a second fan like the a/c one, right?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:47 pm

A close look at the ad on ebay details its fitment and as others have said, all they need to do is remove the L Series reference and the ad looks like it is for MY stuff only.
I wonder if the 30% increased flow is air or water ? Twin tube/cores ?

Saw copper radiators twin core advertised on ebay some time back ...be a toss up ...word has been the alloys may not be as long lasting as the old copper ones ...

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:23 am

JP147 wrote: So the original metal shrouded electric fan doesn't fit and I will have to get a second fan like the a/c one, right?
The one I had the problem with was not shrouded at all at the top of the radiator, just around its blade. I have no idea if the problem fan was OEM or aftermarket. Measure up its depth and see if yours is as deep, or is "rebated". in a way that puts its shroud's bottom edge below the level of its mounting holes for the bolts

Return to “South Australia”