Forester as 4WD ?

valerian

Forester as 4WD ?

Post by valerian » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:59 am

My wife wants a new car. She wants a "proper 4WD", so that we could go where we could not go with my Outback. In particular, sand paths through Coorong, and "4WD tracks only" in Lincoln (Coffin Bay) National Park. We would go to the national parks rarely, and I would use the car mostly for commuting to work.

My thinking is that an offroader like Prado is to awkward for everyday driving on bitumen roads and in the city. I am thinking that Forester should be enough to get through those two places mentioned above. Can someone confirm ?

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Foresters are only a tad lighter than the Outback. They also run on pretty much the same tyres. This means they'll be reasonably comparable offroad. The forester just has the benefit of better ground clearance which will help on sand. But I'd suggest if you want a Forster which will not have trouble that you at least expect to lift it and fit larger tyres. I drove my Outback (stock) down at Robe to Beachport without too much trouble, but I was with people. Wouldn't do it if I was on my own.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Return to “South Australia”