Queen's Birthday Long weekend in Robe/Beachport

El_Freddo
Master Member

Queen's Birthday Long weekend in Robe/Beachport

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Ok, so on a social outing over the last weekend we got the idea of a 4wd trip over the Queen's Birthday long weekend at Robe or Beachport in SA.

Anyone keen for this?

The plan would be pretty simple: drive to Robe on the friday night. Meet up Saturday morning and hit the sand from there. Return for home either at midday on the Monday or "chuck a well day" on the Tuesday...

I'd imagine it would be cold but I'm up for those conditions.

Let us know who's genuinely interested and we'll go from there ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Interested, very much indeed...

Need to clear with the better half, so give me a couple days to confirm. Maybe I can persuade her to come along?

Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:08 pm

Got some info from a forum member that's local to that area - LanaB - Thanks for the heads up!

Will update later when I know more.

Cheers

Bennie

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Cryptic??

I've got the green light to attend... Still to determine if the better half comes with, which would be great!

Pedro.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:26 am

pezimm wrote:Cryptic??
Yeah sorry mate! I just wanted to get the all clear to post this from LanaB who lives in Beachport - some good local knowledge parted here:
LanaB wrote:I live here and a member of the local 4wd club (Wattle Ranges). The beaches at that time of year are mostly not drivable, high tide is middle of the day, and the beaches are steep and VERY soft. There are "inland" tracks for some of the area in the Beachport end, not much at the Robe end. Venture more South to Canunda National park and you can drive from Southend to Carpenter Rocks without going on the beach, but definately in the sandhills. There are mudmaps available at Millicent and Beachport Vis Centres, not at Robe. cheers, Lana
So I'm thinking we could go and check out the Caunda National Park - a new area is always a great adventure!

Failing that I'm thinking Big Desert :D Keen to do something in the SA area, just wish I had more time off to make the most of it!

Cheers

Bennie

LanaB

Post by LanaB » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:37 pm

you could camp at Southend, plenty of good places, which is 20km South from Beachport. Then you can play in the Beachport Conservation Park (southern end of the Robe Beachport drive) and you can see how far North you can get before the beaches are undrivable, which is past the Buggy Park. Lots of fun really steep sand drifts in that area. Then, you can drive South from Southend inland as far as Geltwood Beach, which is usually pretty scary in June. From there, its turn back, go across the top of the sandhill, out onto the dirt "Frontage Road", down to Oilrig Square for a look (which is the geltwood Beach southern end, but about 6km from where you turned back). Then turn around again and find the Carpenter Rocks track. From that point its 32km of inland track (sand dunes) to carpenter Rocks. Lunch/Dinner at the tavern, then bituman back to Southend (or return by the dunes if you want.) If there is water over the track, walk it or drive around it. 3 Patrols came to grief driving through it at Easter (all in the same mob...... gotta wonder why!!) Anything else you want to know, just ask. Oh, there is a Salmon fishing comp at Beachport in the school holidays which is always great. cheers, Lana

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:39 pm

hi - any further news re where (if) this excursion will take place ? If its close enought to Adelaide it may give me a chance to meet up with people whose builds I have read about.

LanaB

Post by LanaB » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:24 pm

henpecked, Robe/Beachport is about 5 hours from Adelaide city centre. Plus add to that from where you live.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Probably out for this one. I get back to Melbs late Sat night, which is the 8th.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Sat May 11, 2013 5:24 pm

thanks for that

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Wed May 22, 2013 7:05 pm

I will have to pull out of this one... Won't be in Melbs or near my Forester for the long weekend.

Have a great time, though.

Pedro.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Sorry guys, I too will be out for this one.

While I'm super keen for something like this my priorities have changed, going to spend the weekend at home further improving Ruby Scoo or working on another project if I haven't got it moved on by then.

I hope it still goes a head for those that want to attend - take plenty of pics for us though!!

Cheers

Bennie

LanaB

Post by LanaB » Fri May 24, 2013 8:55 pm

What a shame, would have been good to go over to where ever you decided to camp and meet up since its in my back yard. From the small number of replies to your original idea, looks like its not happening. Anyway, it will be better in the warmer months, when the tides are not so high, and low during the day. Beaches have taken a hammering last couple of weeks and this weekend is the same.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 25, 2013 10:41 am

LanaB wrote: Anyway, it will be better in the warmer months, when the tides are not so high, and low during the day. Beaches have taken a hammering last couple of weeks and this weekend is the same.
Warmer months would be better, we'll have to see what we're doing during the sept school holidays.

Beaches copping a flogging from use or tidal action?

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “South Australia”