Light Bar Rules W.A

Kalbarri_baru

Light Bar Rules W.A

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:09 pm

Is the Department of Transport W.A being run by the right people to make decisions in regards to fitment of Light bars.

Lets have a look at the stupidity of it all, firstly the fitment of a slimline light bar to the top of a roo bar is ILLEGAL "Really" what clown decided that one, there is no impediment on the road if the said light bar is fitted as per illustration in photo No1.

I live in a small Rural town in Northern Western Australia and we have our fair share of Kangaroos here our closest main town is Geraldton some 160km away, so try spending the day in Geraldton and then drive 160km back home at night on Kangaroo infested roads without proper lighting (Down right Dangerous).

So whats the big deal you ask, why dont I just fit the light bar under the top of the roo bar, ok as I have a L series wagon I rely on air flow for the radiator from the small grille, and if I place the second bar there I will be restricting air flow to the radiator with hot air from the light bars, in turn overheating my rig.

Am I just having a public grizzle or does anyone else feel these rules are stupid..

DOT Pdf on light bars

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... B_132A.pdf

Cheers WayneO.............

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:00 pm

So that means 99.99% of light bars I've seen installed are illegal :)

I take it as well you cannot be on drugs and must have a twitter account, when you install the light bar :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:37 pm

well, new rules over east will please you - no height restriction, just must be at the front and no need to stick a black out section in the centre to call a bar light two lights !

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 pm

Dont rush them, the rule makers in Vic have just made a law that should have done when traffic was invented;

"From 2 November 2015 new laws will mean motorcycles and scooters can filter on Victoria’s roads, where safe to do so.

Lane filtering is when a rider moves at low speed between slow-moving or stopped traffic. The new laws are being brought in to clarify what motorcycle and scooter owners are permitted to do. "

Something sensible may eventually happen about your light bars.
L serious, still.

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:10 pm

One snapped bolt and half an hour later the changes to be compliant are complete, as I had to turn the bracket upside down the bolts now stick up so tonight's job is to cut the bolts flush so no sharp points protrude upwards.

On the upside of all this I researched the DOT W.A website and found some interesting info on Bull Bars and Fishing Rod holders, all pre Jan 1996 vehicles may find this info useful

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... CI_112.pdf

Fitment of bull bars to ADR 69/00 vehicles
Australian Design Rule ADR 69/00 sets minimum levels of occupant protection,

as
determined by crash testing. Depending on the design and application, a bull bar may
positively or negatively affect occupant safety in a crash situation.
ADR 69/00 affects the following vehicles:
• From 1 July 1995, all new model MA vehicles (passenger cars)
• From 1 January 1996, all MA vehicles (passenger cars)
• From 1 January 1998, all new model MB vehicles (forward control passenger
vehicles)
• From 1 January 1998, all new model MC vehicles (off-road passenger vehicles)
• From 1 July 1998 for new model NA1 vehicles (light goods vehicles)
• From 1 January 2000 all MB vehicles (forward control passenger vehicles)
• From 1 January 2000 all MC vehicles (off-road passenger vehicles)
• From 1 July 2000 all NA1 vehicles (light goods vehicles).
On these vehicles, bull bar manufacturers will need to be in a position to show that the
fitment of their product does not interfere with the intent of the occupant protection provisions
specified in ADR 69/00. Various techniques are being researched, by the industry, for
determining the effect of the bull bar on ADR 69/00 (e.g. pendulum tests and computer
simulations).

Cheers WayneO...........
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:27 pm

>Dont rush them, the rule makers in Vic have just made a law that should have done when traffic was invented;

"From 2 November 2015 new laws will mean motorcycles and scooters can filter on Victoria’s roads, where safe to do so.

Lane filtering is when a rider moves at low speed between slow-moving or stopped traffic. The new laws are being brought in to clarify what motorcycle and scooter owners are permitted to do. "

This is possibly the stupidest rule change I have ever seen. Just because 95% of motorcycle riders are idiots who can't follow road laws, they change the rules to allow what they already do. This logic could be used to say that because 95% of drivers speed, that we should get rid of the speeding laws.

My main concern is that motorcycle riders will now claim anything from 0 to 60km/h is a "slow-moving" pace, and when they get bowled over (which they will) they will claim they were doing 10 km/h. Just about impossible to police.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

tambox

Post by tambox » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:59 pm

80% maybe, not 95% :)
Mostly noticed by frustrated drivers stuck in traffic with nothing else they can do.
Why do they get bowled over ? usually from vehicles not following the road rules, the riders don't injure themselves on purpose.

Mind you, Vic changes the road rules often, many people do not keep up with them.

I see what you mean about blocking the radiator.
Make sure you trim those bolts off that are sticking up, so you wont injure a person as the slide over the top of your bullbar :)

Maybe you should just mount them on top loosely so they can spin backwards to comply with the rules, but I guess you would need them to be engineered.
L serious, still.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:25 pm

Maybe some spoiler like thing underneath to really scoop the oncoming air into the radiator ? My Brum ran a little cooler in summer when I removed the pair of 180mm spotties from its airflow path - just can't see the natives as easily anymore:(

The change over this side also includes no need to have separate switch on extra lights just wire the relay into hibeam to go on and off with dipswitch.

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:11 am

steptoe wrote:Maybe some spoiler like thing underneath to really scoop the oncoming air into the radiator ? My Brum ran a little cooler in summer when I removed the pair of 180mm spotties from its airflow path - just can't see the natives as easily anymore:(
Yeah gonna have to try something, took the L for a good run last night in the soft stuff with both spots blazin and the temp raised quite a bit above the norm.

to make matters worse I have finally bit the bullet and bought an ej22 powered L series that overheats when towing and in the soft stuff without spots, gonna have to start another thread on how to maximize airflow.
steptoe wrote:The change over this side also includes no need to have separate switch on extra lights just wire the relay into hibeam to go on and off with dipswitch.
Just re wired the spots to have a separate switch for each as well as wired to high beam.

Cheers WayneO...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Western Australia”