L Series EJ25 Handbrake.

Boxman

L Series EJ25 Handbrake.

Post by Boxman » Fri May 15, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi Guys, first time here so please be nice if I do something wrong :) Recently I brought a L Series with a EJ 25 conversion ( Formally owned by Guyph ) unfortunatly the kid I brought it off did not treat it with respect and that brings me here. I am looking for someone in the Perth area who would be interested, or know anyone who could complete/install the hand brake!! Yes believe me I cant believe why you would disconnect it. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Bantum
General Member

Referral ...

Post by Bantum » Fri May 15, 2015 9:11 pm

Someone like RSR555 should be able to help you ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Boxman

Post by Boxman » Sat May 16, 2015 7:04 am

Thanks Bantum, will contact and see how we go.

Cheers Boxman...

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat May 16, 2015 2:08 pm

Did it never have a handbrake installed?

That car would be running Liberty style rear handbrake drums I beleive. It would need the Liberty handbrake cables run up to the tranny tunnel and put through two drilled holes. Would also need a Liberty handbrake lever custom mounted. I thought Guyph did all that when building the car. Perhaps it was never completed. The original front-wheel handbrake setup was necessary to remove so the brakes and hubs could be upgraded.

Boxman

Post by Boxman » Sat May 16, 2015 5:50 pm

I believe it had a working hand brake, why it has been disconnected I dont know. Guy takes me as the sort of person who would do it right, so I can only assume it was the previous owner.:mad: Unfortunately I am based in Sydney at present so I cant look at it myself yet.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi,

Just to clarify, the L had the front converted to full Lib cross-member, arms hubs etc. That meant that It didn't have the front hand brake anymore. cross breed didn't want to supply only the rear half of his 5stud conversion kit so I started to look for second hand kits. In the mean time the car drove around without a hand brake.
In the end me and RSR555 decided to get the rear hubs made up. Got a first prototype set machined, But by the time all this was done the car was sold :(
A hand brake lever and cable to the rear was installed in the car.

You can try and see with cross breed Performance for the 5stud rear kit, or if someone has a kit here from a wrecked car. You can get rear xt6 hubs from The states. Try and see with Subaruman5, He is in the Us and offered to help me get some.

Owen didn't disconnect the hand brake as it wasn't yet on the car.
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Fri May 29, 2015 2:39 pm

If you're in Sydney, I might be able to help. I once had some extra cables made up that had that fitted up to the Liberty rear handbrake, but also to the original handbrake lever.
The aim being that the cables went forward from the lever, then did a 180 degree loop over the top of the gearbox, and then back down the trans tunnel.
No mods to the handbrake lever, no extra holes drilled except to mount the cables.

I've never used these cables as I've now gone back to 4 stud with Honda rear calipers.
PM me.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri May 29, 2015 4:12 pm

Sounds like it's a case of figuring out how to mount the handbrake shoes, and various levers / springs onto the backing plates and make sure the shoes are in the correct location to sit within the "drums" (part of the rear disks). I assume there are liberty backing plates in there?

With the cr0ssbre_d kit it comes with custom modified Liberty backing plates to make it all work together.

I have the opposite problem to you. I ran my cr0ssbre_d kit for years but never bothered to put the handbrake lever and cables in!

Boxman

Post by Boxman » Sat May 30, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi Guy's I really appreciate the advise and info, I am not a mechanic so sometimes it is a little daunting figuring out what is required and the best way around issues. Just to clear the record and put in on public display, I made the mistake of assuming Owen had disconnected the handbrake and removed rear disc's. I was wrong and appoligize for claiming such. I will follow up on the suggestions made and hope we can improve this awsome machine :-)

Return to “Western Australia”