Man overboard

MY_STI

Man overboard

Post by MY_STI » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Hey guys,

Sooo my clutch decided to die on the weekend (97 Outback), though fortunately just in Perth! < insert photo of Steep Point from the weekend prior >

As far as I can tell the clutch fork is jamming 'in'. I've not tinkered with the hydraulic push setup of the Outback before, is this basically the same as the N/A setup but with hydro instead of cable?
In any case I suspect this is a engine/gearbox out to fix kind of problem, and looking at replacing bell-housing goodies at the same time. Any suggestions otherwise are welcome!

Chasing a few bits and pieces, and some info:
- Flywheel - A lot of slipping occurred on the limp home attempt so I suspect the flywheel will have a wonderful multi-coloured theme happening. While it is probably salvageable it would be nice to have one ready to rock and roll.
- Ex-input shaft/clutch aligning tool
- Tail shaft stub/thing to stop oil leaking everywhere.
- Where am I most likely to get a new thrust bearing at short notice (where I can actually afford it, so probably not Subaru)?
- I've a heavy duty pressure plate and driven plate for a gen1 EJ22 - can I use it?
- EJ22 rear main seal - same question.
- I'm also going to assume the spigot bearing is the same.

Given the car is effectively immobile, and I have some nice relatively flat concrete and an almost empty double garage, looking at performing the operation at my place (Maylands) this weekend. I know I've not really put much into the scene over here, happy to put on a bbq and drinks if anyone wants to come along and supervise!

Cheers,
Will
04 38 596 116
'97 Outback - almost back to grandma spec operating condition.
"A day is never more than what you make of it."

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:33 pm

check your clutch hydro cable and fluids... when the fluid gets low or really needs a bleed, the pedal goes way in past its pivit thingy and stays in!

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:19 pm

I've got a gearbox tail shaft plug and alignment tool. Also i think it would be easier to take the engine out instead of the gearbox if you don't have a hoist. I know its doable but with a lot of blood and swearing! Taza and I did his gearbox swap on his forester and you can ask him what his thoughts are.
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

MY_STI

Post by MY_STI » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Clutch reservoir at about half, but the key differentiator is that I can return the pedal manually, push the slave cylinder pin in, and have to use a Jimmy bar to get the clutch fork to return, I can't move it by hand (getting soft apparently). I'm not sure how the push hydro setup differs from the cable or turbo pull setup yet, so not entirely sure if this is normal. Safe guess would be that it is not.

Have been meaning to ring you re parts Guy, will get there eventually!
Have done both box and engine many a time before, just figured gearbox would be easier as I wouldn't have to acquire an engine crane (no overhead beams, otherwise a mad climbing rig would be in order!).

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:04 pm

MY_STI wrote:As far as I can tell the clutch fork is jamming 'in'. I've not tinkered with the hydraulic push setup of the Outback before, is this basically the same as the N/A setup but with hydro instead of cable?
Identically the same as the cable system, just uses a slave cylinder to push the clutch fork back. Turbo models use the pull type system, which makes the fork push forward.
MY_STI wrote:In any case I suspect this is a engine/gearbox out to fix kind of problem, and looking at replacing bell-housing goodies at the same time. Any suggestions otherwise are welcome!
Definitely change the rear main seal (use genuine only) and machine the flywheel (even if you get another s/h one). Buy a good quality release bearing from Veales. Your EJ22 clutch 'should be' the same but not seeing it, I can only assume and same for your spigot bearing for the flywheel.
MY_STI wrote:Given the car is effectively immobile, and I have some nice relatively flat concrete and an almost empty double garage, looking at performing the operation at my place (Maylands) this weekend. I know I've not really put much into the scene over here, happy to put on a bbq and drinks if anyone wants to come along and supervise!
I'd love to come and help but I'm packing for Shark Bay. If you could have got the car to Kelmscott, you could have used the hoist, it would take 1/2 to 1/4 of the time to do.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

MY_STI

Post by MY_STI » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:36 am

Massive thanks to Guy and the 'shed of wonders', turns out I split a clutch fork, and it also turned out that Guy had one. Win!

Thanks for all the sage advice and offer Paul, muchly appreciated!

Throw out bearing from Subaru ended up being not that much more than from Veales, and a great deal more convenient. The ej22 pressure plate worked a treat. Old driven plate had 'slop' between the spline 'hub' and the plate (inner to the springs), the old spigot was all but seized, I wet'n'dryed the flywheel in absence of a fancy ma
chine, and already had the rear main (Long story, non-genuine). Was well and truly in need of some attention.

Some new steering bushes are also preventing the entire rack from shifting under more spirited turns...

Also managed to break and then fix my support vehicle for the weekend, though driving around in a RX7 has me craving boost again.

And I just rubbed my eye, which still has chilli on it from dinner. *!# expletive*

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:06 pm

No probs and that was you that called Guy regarding the busted clutch fork. Glad to hear you got it sorted.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Western Australia”