Brumby Conversion

Corax

Brumby Conversion

Post by Corax » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi Subadudes,

Ok, so this is my plan. When I get the money (ha ha) I want to convert my targa brumby into a bit of a beast. I have got an ej25 moter, forester gearbox, and a fair amount of the stuff I need to undertake this project. Now my question is this... Once I drop all this new stuff in, how much of a nightmare is it going to be to get the car licenced? ie What hoops will the cops make me jump through and how much will it cost? Is it worth it? Has anybody out there done it before? Or am I in for a world of pain? All info/opinions gratefully recieved.

Cheers,
Corax.

GOD

Post by GOD » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:55 pm

Three options:
-get it registered with the original engine then do the conversion, and go to gaol if you have an at-fault accident.
-do all the work properly, making sure it's all neat and factory-looking, then take it over the pits and hope no one notices the different engine. That worked for me.
-do it all properly and get it engineered and certified. This costs lots more money and I don't know much about it.

Dane.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 pm

Maybe best to discuss with experts? (in engineers & certified area)
If you placed an engine without them knowing is a risky business! (specially insurance and they do check it up)
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:04 pm

i beleive thats if its within 500cc and 15% power difference then you only need to send in an engine number change form. (But an EA81 to an EJ25 desnt fit that category)

i guess you could try just doing that
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/lic ... EngNum.pdf

otherwise take it over the pits when its all done and they can suss it out and change it on their comps if its all good.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

Corax

Post by Corax » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi Subadudes,

A mate of mine was telling me that I would have to take it up to Perth ( I live a couple of hours away) and that the boys in blue would have to conduct a 'brake and swerve' test with it. Another told me that I would have to hand it over to an engineer and that he would have to conduct an 'ECU analysis' (whatever that is!). Just want to go about the process the right way so the brumby is totally legal.

Cheers,
Corax.

Return to “Western Australia”