*Shifting Gear* Exhibition @ Fed Sq - AWESOME!

El_Freddo
Master Member

*Shifting Gear* Exhibition @ Fed Sq - AWESOME!

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:10 am

G'day all,

Last weekend Dad and I went and took a look at the Shifting Gear - Design and Innovation in Australian Cars (so something like that) at Federation Square.

23 cars on display, some will never be seen again together for a very long time. I got to see the GTX-R Torana concept. This one should've gone into production. Looks awesome and would've been so much lighter than the stock Torana of the day due to the fibre glass body.

And in the same "room" was the Holden Hurricane Concept Design Vehicle from 1969 - well ahead of its time! Mid mounted 253 V8, 4 speed manual and a few other funky things about it for a vehicle designed back in that day:

There were other '70's muscle cars on display, one owned from new by a fella in Kyneton! Another area was really interesting with the racers of the post war era and the decades that followed.

This one is a Ford, not a huge fan of those, but this one had lived under a peppercorn tree for a number of years before being purchased. The owner doesn't want to do a resto. It's got loads of character and some ingenious fix ups on it over the years. Also a V8, probably a side valve job.

The 1966 Repco Brabham BT19:

^ A very nice piece of engineering there!

And a late model racer - the FR-1:

Interestingly this open wheeler's front suspension is mounted right behind the hub with a solid arm from the body. It's a hydraulic setup that acts on a set of remote struts mounted in front of the driver and passenger.

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:11 am

Then there was this beauty that I'm sure needs no introduction:

If you have the chance to go and see this exhibition for yourself I highly recommend it!

Cheers

Bennie

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:25 am

Kewl - How long is the 'show' on for ?

Ciao, Bantum ...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:15 pm

Until early July I think. Pretty sure the cost was $15 per person - Dad shouted me this one :D Totally worth it (if I was laying out the coin) and the place wasn't busy at all so it was a great experience!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Victoria”