Trip report. May 19 to 21st 2006

hughybabes

Trip report. May 19 to 21st 2006

Post by hughybabes » Sun May 28, 2006 10:27 pm

Left my place in the Dandenong Ranges at about 11:00 am Friday 19th May. Travelled to Warburton; picked up some country sausages and other sustenance and continued in a general North Easterly direction, through Reefton and Mc Mahons creek. Had lunch on the Torbreck River, due east of Lake Mountain, near Stockmans Reward. Now well and truly on the dirt, followed some lesser used logging tracks until we linked with the Snobs Creek road, which we followed in a NNW direction. Walked down to Snobs Creek Falls; didnt take my camera; mistake; they are well worth the effort.
Continued on through Eildon to Friday nights accomodation in the ranges along the Maintongoon road about ten kms south of Bonnie Doon. Bro in law has a weekender there...very conveniently.
In Mansfield early Saturday morning...picked up more country supplies( local sausages, topside of beef for sat night, local bread, and more victuals...) Travelled East to Merrijig and connected with the Howqua Track. Followed this in past Mt. Timbertop (Prince Charles' secondary school connections, for those who choose to remember), to Sheepyard Flat. Fantastic area of of gold mining history, historic mountain huts, great camping areas and excellent fly fishing on the Howqua River.
This area is only about 20 km south of Mt Buller ski resort.........it was quite cold even though it was a fine sunny day.
Tried to do too much in a short time...... threw the metal detector over some interesting ground; thew the fly into an interesting bend in the Howqua river, got bluffed by some deer hunters who said the Mighty Subie wouldnt make it back up a particular track........later realised they had a deer down there and didnt want us to be in the area....
Sunday, found an interesting mine adit, in the Jerusalem Creek area near Eildon. will be back there when we repair the gold detector.
The subie didnt let me down.... only a couple of declines were beyond its capabilities......too steep with rubble surface...no traction....you have to pull out when you reckon its at the limit.....
Three days...550 km....extremely happy with the performance of the '84 Subie. !!
Photos will follow when I remember how !!!!
1984 sportswagon
ea81 twin carburettor motor.
"d-shaped" siamese exhaust port heads.
mild low torque cam. electronic dizzy.
2.5 inch engine pipes; 2.25 tail pipe; rear sports muffler.

Return to “Victoria”