Bunyip Sat 13/4

NachaLuva
General Member

Bunyip Sat 13/4

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:59 pm

I know its late notice but El Freddo & I are heading to Bunyip this Saturday. We'll be doing some fun tracks, looks like it'll be wet so slippery lol.

Anyone wanting to come along is more than welcome ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Kustomchris

Post by Kustomchris » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:49 am

Fook it, im keen.. Just gotta change out my wheels tomorrow.
Able to organise a time and location to meet up in the morning?

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:15 am

Kustomchris wrote:Fook it, im keen.. Just gotta change out my wheels tomorrow.
Cool :cool:

Meeting at cnr Gembrook Rd/ Belgrave-Gembrook Rd, Gembrook at 10:00am.

It'll be dry but the tracks will be wet clay so bring boots for your car & yourself! ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Kustomchris

Post by Kustomchris » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Wet clay.. Better give it a miss then, dont know that the stock wheels will cope

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:56 pm

I would be in too, but not on my road tyres, still working on getting 13" inch rally tyres. Have fun out there & take pics for us to look at.

Cheers Jake

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:35 pm

No probs. its a good idea to be a bit cautious with these tracks when wet... maybe next time ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:25 pm

Rodeo4jake wrote:I would be in too, but not on my road tyres, still working on getting 13" inch rally tyres.
I should've organised my 13 inch mud/snow tyres - they're sitting in the shed at M&D's that's not far from your joint...

It'd be good to have you along mate!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:10 pm

Being realistic, I don't think I can make it anyway, still in the truck at the moment. South bound into Holbrook now. Have fun out there, I'll try for the next one.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Rodeo4jake wrote:Being realistic, I don't think I can make it anyway, still in the truck at the moment. South bound into Holbrook now. Have fun out there, I'll try for the next one.
No worries mate. Safe travels, I'm sure we'll get a pic or two for you ;)

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:30 pm

El Freddo & I headed off to Bunyip SP (my fav haunt Image) with clouds looming. The forecast had said fine but I had doubts. Any rain & these clay tracks become super slick!

We did some easier tracks first but still fun. Robertsons Tr was very steep but graded.

This was taking us away from the direction we wanted so we looked for a track to cut back. Rocky Tr looked easy from the top but Dedmanwalking had trouble a month ago so we headed down Bullock Link Tr not sure what we'd find....

Bullock Link Tr:
El Freddo's blue shirt disappearing around the bend...

Hard to get scale, some of these ruts were window deep on the Foz & no room to manoeuver.

We finally made it through the ruts & the track levelled out. Watch out for this:
It was about 8' deep! Image

Then just when we thought we'd made it out...we hit this!!!

Holy crap on a stick:
The track on the right was steep, left mega steep with loose dirt & SEVERE consequences if you didnt make it ImageImage El Freddo got stuck a little on the small chicken track to the left of the bog hole & that was level! Image Very slick mud...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:31 pm

We considered all the pros & cons of trying the chicken route, with El Freddo going first & towing me up with a snatch strap (reminder to self...get a tow strap...a long one!) but the consequences of any mistake was just too severe. A slide back would easily have resulted in in rollover into a stagnant bog hole that was prob 4-5' deep with soft mud on the bottom.

A Patrol taillight was souvenired & we turned around.

It was with much trepidation we headed back up the steep ruts. El Freddo made the first section without too much trouble, although I didnt enjoy seeing a softball sized lump of granite getting thrown out from his tyres down the track. I maintained a healthy distance.

I had a lot of trouble. Much track building followed. After several more attempts, I tried driving through the brakes...bugger me it worked!!! :mrgreen:

We had a quick chat, then with a light shower & dark rain clouds about, we wasted no time! I cant believe I made it up the next part with no track building at all. Just lots of adrenalin, lots of right foot with the left on the brake & as much momentum as I dared, juggling more brake & throttle as diagonal tyres lifted. This driving through the brakes works brilliantly! Cant wait to see the vids!!

Unfortunately, no pics, funny how focused you get so I just forgot to take any!

When we got out & beat the looming rain, we had lunch. We checked the cars for damage. Despite landing VERY hard several times, I couldnt find any :shock::mrgreen:

We then headed accross the park to Andersons Tr, a very beautiful drive with a few steep sections. I had trouble in a few spots with my open diffs but El Freddo just cruised :cool:

Bog hole on Andersons Tr:
Is that a "Superman" pose? Image

We then cruised around for a while enjoying the scenery, also 2 lyrebirds running accross the road which hopefully have been caught on vid Image

Back out to the BP now Caltex servo in Longwarry, aired up & said our goodbyes...thanks for an awesome trip that I will prob never forget! Bunyip delivered again Image
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Great to hear you had a good day out! Sorry I couldn't come, but work's been upside down this week with a few guys being let go.

I like your input on the "riding on the brakes" solution...

I've been thinking about that myself but so far haven't had the need to test it - it seems the VLSD rear diff has managed to cope.

Will definitely give it a go in clay or dry sand...

Cheers,
Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:50 pm

I've not got many shots to share, so I made some screen shots :D

Here are some of the pics of the Bullock link track, going down:

Going up:

I'm planning to be working on the video in flight tomorrow. Unfortunately I didn't get the vids that Nachaluva had - I'll have to add to the video to make an "extended" edition ;)

Next will be finding a good internet access point to upload the video...

Cheers

Bennie

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:28 pm

That shot of you going up makes at obvious how steep it was. Looks like it was a good adventure out there.

Cheers Jake

Return to “Victoria”