Trip overload October - Robe 17-20OCT11

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:10 pm

Have dates been finalised?

Count me in for LDNP & Robe. Hopefully I'll have my suspension done by then :mrgreen:

Imagine if we get a whole stack of subies all going over in a big convoy hehehe :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:28 pm

21st -23rd is definitely LDNP/Wyperfield. I think Pezimm mentioned been free the Weekend before on the 15th/16th to head to Beachport, join up with Bennie when he's done the family thing, then join the others at Wyperfield the following weekend. I'm going to convoy with Pedro, so i'll go by what he says for the depature date. I'm happy to head off on the 15th.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:30 am

OK sounds good. I might pack the fishin rods, see if i can get a few thumper SA salmon or snapper off the beaches...or if i'm really lucky maybe even a mighty mulloway :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:19 am

Shit i forgot i'm in Tassie untill the 15th, so i'm probably looking to depart on the 17th.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:26 pm

nachaluva wrote:OK sounds good. I might pack the fishin rods, see if i can get a few thumper SA salmon or snapper off the beaches...or if i'm really lucky maybe even a mighty mulloway :D
I took my rod last time - and I didn't even get a line wet! I'll pack it again and hope we make the effort to do some fishing! Got any idea about licensing in SA??
Venom wrote:Shit i forgot i'm in Tassie untill the 15th, so i'm probably looking to depart on the 17th.
That's all good, Kez and I will be coming from adelaide the same day, so it looks like we'll all be kicking off at the same time atm.

On a side note Rhys, I picked up an awesome map of Walhalla (also I spelt Walhalla wrong on the folder for all the photos, hope you all picked up on that!) - I'll bring it along and maybe we could start planning a journey for the next time we're out there :twisted:

And Ruby's repaired too - write up this week when i find the time ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:52 am

El_Freddo wrote:I took my rod last time - and I didn't even get a line wet! I'll pack it again and hope we make the effort to do some fishing! Got any idea about licensing in SA??

That's all good, Kez and I will be coming from adelaide the same day, so it looks like we'll all be kicking off at the same time atm.

On a side note Rhys, I picked up an awesome map of Walhalla (also I spelt Walhalla wrong on the folder for all the photos, hope you all picked up on that!) - I'll bring it along and maybe we could start planning a journey for the next time we're out there :twisted:

And Ruby's repaired too - write up this week when i find the time ;)

Cheers

Bennie
Yep i reckon we should wet a line. They get some thumper salmon & snapper over there. Not sure if its right time for salmon tho. Oh crap...just remembered theres a closed season on snapper in SA...does anyone know when?
Not sure bout licenses.

Yeah did notice Walhalla lol. Cant wait to go back but maybe not the same hill? lol :(

Glad to hear Ruby's all patched up n ready to go...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:45 pm

Venom wrote:Shit i forgot i'm in Tassie untill the 15th, so i'm probably looking to depart on the 17th.
Rhys,

That should be fine. As Bennie said, they're only getting to Robe on the Monday anyways...

My plan at this stage is to take the surfboard, since I don't own a fishing rod. Will probably leave Melbourne on Friday late arvo or Saturday morning and go down the surf coast on the way west, maybe Saturday I'll spend the night around Warrnambool or Portland and on Sunday make my way to either Beachport (if anyone's around and keen to play on the dunes) or straight to Robe...

Not sure what time everyone will rock up in Robe, but I'm happy to enjoy a late brekkie!

Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:27 pm

pezimm wrote:My plan at this stage is to take the surfboard, since I don't own a fishing rod.
Awesum...

have you seen vids of people paddling big baits out beyond the breakers to catch sharks etc :mrgreen:

I've heard that there are VERY LARGE great whites in SA hehehe :p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:55 pm

pezimm wrote:My plan at this stage is to take the surfboard, since I don't own a fishing rod.
You'll look very much the part of a new-age hippy!

I've just got to work out where to store the surf rod so it's not in the way or going to be pinched while we're in Adelaide... Hmmm...

As I've said in the Little Desert planning thread, I'm really looking forward to this!

Note to all about camping In the Little Dip Conservation park the camping in the dunes cost $11 per vehicle per night, quite a jump from the $8 from the previous year. So make sure you bring some shrapnel to get your permit ;)

That's about all I can think about at the moment that needs mention.

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Never been to Robe before, what's the 4WD'ing like for a stock MY as pictured below :mrgreen:

Maybe not this time, I'll wait until I've got some lift and some other things.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:52 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Never been to Robe before, what's the 4WD'ing like for a stock MY as pictured below :mrgreen:
You'll be fine, the stock wheels might be an issue but we can work with that if you do come. I've driven my stock height L series around this area without real troubles and Bboypebs had his stock brumby out there one time with me.

So you're more than welcome to join us, the stock setup is very capable, just make sure your cooling system is working well same for the thermo fans and you'll be sweet.

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:29 pm

It's tempting, but my thermo fan doesn't turn on (dunno if it's the switch/sensor or something else) :???: plus I'll probably be even more broke by October than I am now :rolleyes:

one day one day
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:43 am

Silverbullet wrote:my thermo fan doesn't turn on (dunno if it's the switch/sensor or something else) :???:
Some simple wiring diagnostics will work this out for you. Essentially all you need is a switch to turn them on so that you know they're on. If you've got a mechanical fan you may not have got it hot enough to make the thermo kick in. A quick test of this is to remove the wire from the thermo switch in the radiator and place it on a good earthing point, the thermo should turn on.
Also if you don't have an earth wire between the radiator and the chassis you'll need to get one sorted, this could be the problem. It's simply a wire from the top of the radiator to a part of the body, I know Sunnie the Brumby's is top centre of the radiator onto the top rad support panel. ;)
Silverbullet wrote:I'll probably be even more broke by October than I am now :rolleyes:
Best times of my life back in the day! They're still kind of rolling along at the moment like this but generally there's a bit more money kicking around these days. I built ruby while still at uni having to work for my money. Full time uni and work is not fun at all!

I'm hoping to see you there mate, you'll love it and you'll get to meet a great bunch of subi nuts that you've been talking to on here. Maybe bring your dad along as fuel fund??

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:24 am

Thanks for the tips I'll have to have a good look. I know the rad has an earth to chassis for sure. If I can't get it to work normally I suppose I could just wire a switch for when it gets too hot for the mechanical fan...

Bit of a story about this cars temp problems; when my brother was driving it he complained about it getting really hot when he was stopped at lights. He said even on a 6 degree night he had to turn it off at the lights or the engine raced like mad :confused:
Since I've been driving it I haven't had any such problems, even driving it across town in nearly stop start traffic on a warm day the gauge didn't get far above half.

Hope I can make Robe as well, would give me something to do :mrgreen:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:55 am

Silverbullet wrote:Hope I can make Robe as well, would give me something to do :mrgreen:
Here's something I got myself into trouble with one lazy afternoon at uni, Subarino is to blame after I made a comment on the WA end of year bbq thread.

Loads of pics, hopefully they're all still there. WA road trip report.

Enjoy.

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Wow what a write up! :eek: the idea of swapping all lifters in the middle of nowhere with a couple of tuna cans makes me shudder, that was an amazing job!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:07 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Wow what a write up! :eek: the idea of swapping all lifters in the middle of nowhere with a couple of tuna cans makes me shudder, that was an amazing job!
Yeah that had me glad that I had packed the original hydraulic lifters! I was physically sick too and have never experienced that before!

And an update on the trip plans. Kez and I will be arriving either late sunday night or early/mid monday ;) We'll cruise around town until we find some others arriving :D

Anyone need my mobile number or everyone got it already?

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:40 am

Just a quick reminder as I've started to pack for Adelaide, Robe and Little Desert/Wyperfield:

Sand flags are a good idea. They don't have to be an electric wizz bang automatic thing, just a conduit pipe and a flag of some sort does the job with the use of some cable ties. Mine is overkill but I think it's effective. I've seen flags smaller than an A4 sheet of paper which I think is useless. Here's mine:

An A4 size is a good one I think. If you don't have/can't get a flag and pole sorted before you head out don't stress, we'll put you between the front and rear vehicle that has a flag ;)

A hand held radio is also useful to help with communications. Don't go out of your way to buy one if you're not looking into/can't afford one at the moment. I'll have a second one with me for someone to use.

Also bring a blank USB stick so we can share all the photos at the end of the trip for those that are leaving at the end of Robe (anyone not following on to little desert?).

I'm thinking on the day of the commute over to Little desert/wyperfield we'll pass through Naracoorte rather than Mt Gambier that will add too much extra travel time than I'm comfortable with.
So I'm proposing that we head to the Naracoorte caves and checkout fossil cave - a great tour of a cave that has some spectacular cave formations as well as some fossil history that they're currently exploring. I can't remember the fee for admission to the cave but I think from memory it was about $20pp.

That's about it for now!

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:34 pm

El_Freddo wrote:So I'm proposing that we head to the Naracoorte caves and checkout fossil cave - a great tour of a cave that has some spectacular cave formations as well as some fossil history that they're currently exploring.
Will all the subies fit in the cave for thorough exploring?! :roll:

Seriously, that sounds great, i've never been able to find fossils before so will be cool...Jurassic Park here we come!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Ok, slight change of plans for me:

I will be travelling from Melbourne straight to Robe on Sunday. Rhys, if that aligns with your plans and you want to convoy, let me know and we'll organise a time to meet.

For the rest of you, see you in lovely Robe!!

Cheers,
Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Return to “Victoria”