trip paddys swamp - otways - airle beach overnighter

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 05, 2010 9:13 pm

ScubyRoo wrote:^ Portland is no where near apollo bay! Some use you are....
Yeah I wasn't thinking, just getting excited about heading out to the sand! I thought about it today after the 5th hour in a tractor, as you do :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 10, 2010 9:28 pm

So have we got details on meet points and time? Are we meeting friday night or saturday morning?

I'm asking these now as next week I'll be on camp without internet AFAIK. Basically I'll get home from that camp to head off for this one :D

Any details that can be sorted this week on here would be great, otherwise I'll be calling you at some stage next week Richard ;)

Cheers

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Tue May 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Plan is to meet at Torquay at 9.oo am Saturday morning, then head to Anglesea Heath and up to Paddys Swamp. From there it is unplanned but basically head to aire river via any tracks that we might find interesting.
Anglesea Heath is any easy but interesting drive to get to Paddys Swamp. Paddys Swamp is a playground for 4WDing so there are apparently some hard tracks. It is an area that you can drive into and out of easily and only do hard tracks if you are interested.

The plan was to camp at aire river east but according to parks vic it is currently closed. We can camp on the wet side but camp fires are not permitted. There are also plenty of other campsites in the otways we could chose.
further closures:

Due to a land slip on Binns road, Colac Otway Shire has closed the road for repair until the 14 May. Consequently the Redwoods campground, Hopetoun Falls and Beauchamp Falls will be inaccessible during this time.
Kaanglang Rd will be closed for repairs between the Lake Elizabeth turn off and Mt Sabine Rd from 11 May to 19 May. The road will however be open on weekends and access to Lake Elizabeth will be possible throughout the period.

Aire River East camp ground is closed until further notice due to wet conditions.

The toilet block and one of the gas BBQs at the Sheoak picnic ground are closed for repairs. Two gas BBQs in the main area of the picnic ground remain operational.

Castle Cove Lookout will be closed from 19-24 April for maintenance (does not affect Great Ocean Walk).

Parker Spur Rd, Calder Ridge Rd, Redwater Track and Clearwater Track closed for bridgeworks.

No water available at Blanket Bay and Parker Hill Campgrounds.

4wd tracks closed for works: Wye River Rd, Wye River Tk, Curtis Tk, Kennett-Wye Jeep Tk and Jamieson Tk from intersection of Jamieson Tk top end and Godfrey Tk.

Closures due to upgrade of Painkalac Reservoir Spillway

No access to Painkalac Reservoir until late 2010.

Walking track from Distillery Creek Picnic Ground to Painkalac Reservoir closed until late 2010.

Walking track leading from Moggs Creek Picnic Ground to Gentle Annie Tk remains open.

Walking track through reservoir from Distillery Creek to Moggs Creek picnic grounds closed.
Some of the tracks that are closed are the ones we went on last time, so unfortunately we cannot go there again.

We will obviously check out the tracks and sand pit ScubyRoo has suggested and anyone else's ideas, but at the same time cater for all levels of xperience.

By all means you do not have to camp out if you wish to come, just come for a day trip if you want.

I will call for some confirmations in a few days and confirm the meet point and time, if everyone is happy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 13, 2010 10:58 pm

I'll be at the same meet point as last time ;)

If anything changes next week send us a text please.

Looking forward to it! Ruby Scoo's going to get a clean out this weekend hopefully.

Cheers

Bennie

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri May 14, 2010 9:29 pm

If all goes well with the car this week i'll be there Sat morning and will be camping.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Sun May 16, 2010 9:29 am

Less than a week to go, have confirmed the meet point

Meet Point Torquay beach car park. Turn left at the first set of traffic lights as you come into Torquay, head straight down the road and you will see a gravel car park.

Time 9.00am

Date Saturday 22nd May

If we can confirm the attendees

So far

Myself
El_freddo
Venom
ScubyRoo
Suspension lift.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun May 16, 2010 9:41 am

That would be at the bottom of Darian Road, near fisherman beach, quite big car park.
Have fun guys
cheers
AP
subaruby wrote:Less than a week to go, have confirmed the meet point

Meet Point Torquay beach car park. Turn left at the first set of traffic lights as you come into Torquay, head straight down the road and you will see a gravel car park.

Time 9.00am

Date Saturday 22nd May

So far

Myself
El_freddo
Venom
ScubyRoo
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Venom wrote:If all goes well with the car this week i'll be there Sat morning and will be camping.
:twisted: I know you will! All the best with it. If you need any help I'm only a phone call away. If I don't answer I'll call you back when I can as I may be busy with something ;)

Time 9.00am

Date Saturday 22nd May

So far

Myself
El_freddo
Venom
ScubyRoo
Confirmed! See you all there. Just need to give Ruby Scoo a good clean out/repack on friday night when I get back. I'd put money on being a headless chook next friday night...

Looking forward to it, see you all at 9am saturday!

Cheers

Bennie

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Mon May 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Time 9.00am

Date Saturday 22nd May

So far

Myself
El_freddo
Venom
ScubyRoo
Rockin! I still haven't go Libby registered but I do have a permit for her, just can't drive between 7am and 7pm, so I'll leave home at 7 on the dot and see you around 9.30, I can meet you enroute if need be.

Richard, do you have all the maps you need? If I can get my inverter installed by friday I'll bring my laptop which has a lot of topo maps, should cover the areas we're headed to - let me know exactly what areas and i'll make sure I have them by then.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Wed May 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Hey Subaruby,

Got the plastic sump guard OFF today, so that means I'm IN for the Saturday sand driving! See you guys in Torquay 9am.

Ahhh, camping overnight too.

Cheers,
Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Wed May 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Rockin! I still haven't go Libby registered but I do have a permit for her, just can't drive between 7am and 7pm, so I'll leave home at 7 on the dot and see you around 9.30, I can meet you enroute if need be.

Richard, do you have all the maps you need? If I can get my inverter installed by friday I'll bring my laptop which has a lot of topo maps, should cover the areas we're headed to - let me know exactly what areas and i'll make sure I have them by then.

No worries we can hang around if need be.

I have a couple of good maps but by all means bring some more

Pezimm good to jear that you are coming
Suspension lift.

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Fri May 21, 2010 11:01 am

I wasn't able to get in soon enough for a wheel alignment and it looks like the master cylinder has crapped itself, so i'm going to be a little delayed.

Master cylinder fix will be tonight and i'm booked in for a wheel alignment 8.30 tomorrow morning.

I will be in lorne around noon I reckon so I can meet you guys for lunch, send me a text with GPS coordinates and/or directions and I'll meet you there.

Cheers,
Owen.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 21, 2010 4:57 pm

Well after a great week out with some year 7's that were well behaved, I'm super keen for tomorrow!

I'm about to go and clean out Ruby Scoo, then pack the gear I need. Think I'll be shopping somewhere along the way for food as I've not been able to get to a stupermarket...

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 21, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm all packed an ready to go. Just need to get a good night's sleep and do some shopping at some stage...

See you then!

Bennie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri May 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Just spoke to Owen tonight...
Have fun guys over the weekend...
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Fri May 21, 2010 10:20 pm

Thanks for the sump guard AP, one less thing in your garage! Thanks for answering my gear box questions too, you gave me much food for thought!

Lots to do tomorrow, see you guys around lunch time.

Cheers,
Owen.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun May 23, 2010 11:17 pm

How did you guys go over the weekend?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Mon May 24, 2010 8:53 am

El_Freddo brought half the otways' mud back with him (i'm not joking, wait till you see pics!), Venom's H6 demolished everything including 4 wheel drifts in the sand, Subaruby chased down a hire car on the way home, Pedro shifted some dunes and Libby nailed everything.

Lots of pics to come from Subaruby and El_Freddo.

Awesome time out, looking forward to doing it again!

Cheers,
Owen.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 am

Time to upload some pics... Richard now has his SD card back - he dropped it at a roadside stop we made when I gave it back to him. Good effort!

It was an awesome weekend, wish there was another day in there! I'm looking forward to the Robe trip :D

I'll add some pics to the trip report when its started ;)

Cheers

Bennie

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Tue May 25, 2010 8:39 pm

*pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics * :D

Return to “Victoria”