Trip Report - Mt Buangor/Langi-ghiran

subaruby

Trip Report - Mt Buangor/Langi-ghiran

Post by subaruby » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:07 pm

A big thanks to Venom for organising this trip and for those that rocked up, it was an eventful day but I had heaps of fun.

Unfortunately I was only able to attend on the saturday so I will do a short report on the Saturday and hopefully people will add there thoughts, comments, pics to this.

There is a report on what happened to Scubyroo here ..

showthread.php?t=16343

so I will start from when we headed off , I'm a bit vague on the track names but I think this is where we headed of for diggers track. It is a popular area for trail bikes and one of them stopped to ask if he could look at our map. He was looking for the site of an old sawmill.

We have Venom, Bcoutback Pezimm and friend (my apologise I cannot remember his name, pezimm if you could post it up) and Subaruby at the end.

By taking diggers track we were hoping to go down rafferty's track which we thought had a creek crossing, and after the recent rains would have some water in it.

Turns out it wasn't the track we thought it was, we ended up at the track we started on with the SA boys last year. Nevermind there was a nice hill that looked inviting. Venom was keen, so up he went first. He had a good try but couldn't quite make it. The forester and outback weren't to keen, so next it was my turn. First attempt was unsuccessful but the mighty MY made it up second time around, with the help of the locker no doubt.

After a bit of fun we thought we remembered where the creek crossing was so we headed off, I think it was nuggerty track. At the turn off we decided we were all hungry and so had something to eat. It was then that we had to say goodbye to Pezimm and friend as he had to be back in Melbourne. I think pezimm was a little dissappointed as he was keen to have another go at the creek crossing, but there is always next time.:)

Venom, bcoutback and subaruby continued on and we discovered that we were on the right track, but there was not as much water as we had hoped.

But we still gave it a go anyway.

After venom went through a prado turned up, so bcoutback and I let him through, then on we went, following venom.

The exit up the hill on the other side proved a little tricky for the outback, in part due to not having a low enough low range and also it was I think only the second outing for the outback and the driver needs time to learn what his car can do.
In the end, after not giving up and after lifting a wheel the outback got up, well done.

more to follow
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:34 pm

At this point we decided to head to O'briens Crossing, then on to the small township of Blackwood for some supplies. It was at Blackwood that we got a cold drink and sat and had a chat with the local dog and then realised venom had locked his keys in his car. After trying to think of a way to get them out bcoutback simply went into the shop and asked for a coat hanger, after removing the roof rack and bending the window open venom was able to retrieve his keys.

We then headed off to the "powerline track"

This is where we found some more mud :)

We made it through what we like to call "Pedros Puddle", but I don't have any photos.:(

The next puddle venom managed to get stuck on his belly, so bcoutback was able to perform his first snatch recovery.

I also got stuck here but with some backwards and forwarding and direction from venom I was able to recovery myself.

As it was later in the day we just picked a few random tracks to check out.

This proved an interesting track as there were a few fallen trees.

One had been cut through.

The next one we manged to drive around with some track building but the last one at the bottom of the track near the creek stopped us so we headed back.

It was now time to try and meet up with el_freddo after he had taken owen to hospital. Every now and then we managed to send a text when we had coverage. But it was the good old uhf that manged to get us to meet again, turns out he wasn't too far behind us and was literally following our tyre tracks to find us.

After getting an update on owens conditon we headed back for another run on the "powerline track"

It was at this time I had to leave and left venom, bcoutback and el_freddo to camp the night and continue with the fun on sunday.

Thanks again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:58 pm

subaruby wrote:We have Venom, Bcoutback Pezimm and friend (my apologise I cannot remember his name, pezimm if you could post it up) and Subaruby at the end.
Hey subaruby,

My mate's name is Marcio (you can say it Mar-see-o).

Just once again, thanks heaps Venom for taking the time to organise this! I really enjoyed myself, even though only for a short while.

I must admit I haven't taken a lot of photos... All I have left is this nice little photo of the group:

See you all next time!

Cheers,
Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Hehehe... I'm still laughing at Venom for locking his keys in his subi! Still a pissa even though I wasn't there...

Anyway, after sorting out Owen medically and for a ride home I headed back out to try and find the others. I was about to give up and either try my luck at O'brien's Crossing and if I couldn't get them from there, I'd head home with great disappointment.

But luck had it that I found Venom, Subaruby and Bcoutback. So I was still good to go for some 4wd'n.

We his the powerline track again. Pedro's puddle saw Ruby Scoo get covered in mud very quickly and also recieve her first bit of real panel damage. The rear slipped into the ruts, followed by the front, but the rear overhand must have hit something in the scrub, like a stump. It was a clean hit without any ripples as such. I'll have photos later next week (been lazy, busy and tired).

The one photo I have of the trip is this one from Sunday after we had just come down a track that started out bulldozed but then turned very rutted, this is after the rutted section with Bcoutback and Venom in the pic also:

The camp on the saturday night was a great time. We found an old saw mill site on the top of a hill. Normally I'd steer clear of a camp on top of a hill, but this night was very still and cloudless too. Made for some good stars. For our roof we used a tarp, parked the L's side by side with some space in between and wrapped the tarp up and over the top of the two. Add a fire, some good conversation and a rum or two... Great night!

On the Sunday at some stage I busted a front left driveshaft. Now I'm cruising around in rear wheel drive - with a 4.11 ratio. Pulls everything back to about normal with the large tyres :D But I'll have to go back to the 3.7 once the replacement (new) driveshaft arrives...

I'll get those pics up when I can.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:03 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Hehehe... I'm still laughing at Venom for locking his keys in his subi! Still a pissa even though I wasn't there...

Anyway, after sorting out Owen medically and for a ride home I headed back out to try and find the others. I was about to give up and either try my luck at O'brien's Crossing and if I couldn't get them from there, I'd head home with great disappointment.

But luck had it that I found Venom, Subaruby and Bcoutback. So I was still good to go for some 4wd'n.

We his the powerline track again. Pedro's puddle saw Ruby Scoo get covered in mud very quickly and also recieve her first bit of real panel damage. The rear slipped into the ruts, followed by the front, but the rear overhand must have hit something in the scrub, like a stump. It was a clean hit without any ripples as such. I'll have photos later next week (been lazy, busy and tired).

The one photo I have of the trip is this one from Sunday after we had just come down a track that started out bulldozed but then turned very rutted, this is after the rutted section with Bcoutback and Venom in the pic also:

The camp on the saturday night was a great time. We found an old saw mill site on the top of a hill. Normally I'd steer clear of a camp on top of a hill, but this night was very still and cloudless too. Made for some good stars. For our roof we used a tarp, parked the L's side by side with some space in between and wrapped the tarp up and over the top of the two. Add a fire, some good conversation and a rum or two... Great night!

On the Sunday at some stage I busted a front left driveshaft. Now I'm cruising around in rear wheel drive - with a 4.11 ratio. Pulls everything back to about normal with the large tyres :D But I'll have to go back to the 3.7 once the replacement (new) driveshaft arrives...

I'll get those pics up when I can.

Cheers

Bennie
Looks like you guys had great time...
Since you had 3.7:1 final drive Bennie, what is 4.11 like - would be revving hard on highway?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Return to “Victoria”