EPIC Great Ocean Road "cruise" 05DEC09 T.R.

El_Freddo
Master Member

EPIC Great Ocean Road "cruise" 05DEC09 T.R.

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:21 pm

G’day all.

The cruise went quite well, there were 3 in total. Subaruby in his lifted MY, Venom and myself in our EJ’d L series’. Since we were all offroaders we decided that we’d ‘bounce’ between the Great Ocean Road and the dirt.

It was epic!

An 8am start at Torquay saw us at a carpark (above) near the beach with the Great Vic Bike Ride cruising through town. We decided to head out to Bell’s Beach along the way to check out the surf. This is what we ran into:

First road for the day was just after Airlies Inlet. It was initially sandy, then turned to the loam/shale geology. There were a few little holes with water and a couple of low points with several track options, they were just long enough that you could get bogged in them if you didn’t approach them properly.

Some of the first track’s collection on Venom’s L:

One of the tracks we used to get out of the area – I don’t see many signs like this up my way:

Although the sign said 4wds only, the track wasn’t so bad that a 2wd couldn’t get through unless it was a ricer… Back on the the GOR:

Pulled over for a photo when we overshot our turn off – we got excited after some road works…

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:21 pm

I’m glad we got this sorted:

After turning around we were off to Jamison road. This road meandered its way up a spur which then forked, we went right at this junction. The start of Jamison Rd:

This is the view out the passenger’s window as we climbed up the spur:

There was one decent hill climb on this track, Venom’s L:

Ruby Scoo:

At the top of Jamison Road, about to hit Wye Road:

Heading down Mt Curtis Road. This is an old tree with foot plank holes to cut it down with either an axe or a saw:

Venom heading down Mt Curtis Road:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:22 pm

On the way down Subaruby radioed in that he’d come across a log that he needed help with getting across. He then heard running water and checked that out too. At this point there wasn’t really much we could do as the terrain was loose and a more moist that we anticipated for an open dry weather only track. Here’s the log, all made it over successfully (Venom doing his best Steve Monighetti impersonation :mrgreen:):

Once we were over that log we checked out the creek, it wasn’t anything serious but was a bit of fun to do, again we don’t see many of these out our way:

Then it was onward and upward hoping that the terrain wasn’t as steep as what we’d just come down, our map reading skills told us it wouldn’t be but sometimes the map and the terrain don’t look the same. We were all good though except Venom found that he had a pin hole in the top of his radiator and his thermo fan wasn’t doing its job properly. So while the bonnet was up I took this photo – tell me the EJ didn’t come from factory in the L series :p

Once cooled enough to move on we did until we came to this:

Apparently a reply email from Parks to Subaruby told us that all dry weather tracks would be open next week, the email came two weeks ago. To get reception we had to go for a walk for about a km down the road. Venom took the call and the Parks operator was not polite once he heard that we were behind a locked gate. He told us that it was locked for a reason and that we must have driven around an obviously locked gate to get into the area. He then continued by saying that we’d have to go back out the way we came in as there was nothing he could do. We said that the weather had changed on our way down making a return trip near impossible without subsequent track damage. Once he hear this we were on the phone to a local ranger who was more than happy to help out. Within a half hour we were out. In the meantime we sat around in the wet like this:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:23 pm

And we’re out to go again:

It was about 3pm at this stage so we headed off for some lunch at Kennett River. Subaruby wanted to stop off for some photos at a spot where there was a bus load of Japanese tourists going happy-snappy. I grabbed this driver photo one the way past:

Once at the Kennett River General Store we were disappointed to find it was closed. So we hit the GO Road again to Apollo Bay for fish’n’chips on the beach :D

After our late lunch we headed out to the mouth of the Aire River for a go at some sand driving. Unfortunate to say we ran into a couple of red necks with BIG 4wd’s, bluey’s and VBs in hand. One of them was a good bloke that initially came down to see if we could do it. These are the pics we got as each attempt was videoed, and there were MANY attempts!

Subaruby digging himself out after digging himself in:

I had about 7 attempts – found it difficult to steer :D I got as far as the point where one of the big 4wds got stuck just before we went up. This was the best I’d done after about 4 attempts:

After giving it everything in low second, buzzing at about 5,500 rpm this was the result:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:23 pm

I must also say that the track was like two S bends joined together on an uphill gradient. Without any previous experience in this type of sand driving I thought it a difficult track to learn on. It was good fun and addictive too. Subaruby made it up in the end, no photos though. Venom had two stabs at it and did quite well – he made it to the “home straight” before getting bogged down.

We aired up and headed back to Apollo Bay for a bevvie at the local. At this point it was about 8.30pm. On our way back to the GO Road we came across the local traffic authority:

We got to Apollo Bay at 9pm, just in time for happy hour :D

After our drink we headed back to Geelong. It was a good run along the Great Ocean Road, strange to do it at night though. Lorne was swarming with schoolies teens, I was glad to leave that place as there were things being thrown in front of the subi as we passed through. After leaving town we hit a very slow moving vehicle – a hire car with the GPS mounted just below and off to the right of the rear view mirror. We were stuck behind this vehicle until the white line broke just before Airlies Inlet. After that it was all speed limit driving to Geelong. We met up at a Maccas carpark before splitting the convoy and heading home. It was near 11.30!

I got home at 1.20am, did 499km round trip from the APCO servo in Baccus Marsh and used 53 litres in the process. I thought the EJ would’ve been thirstier than that!

All in all a great day out that we’re keen to do again! Thanks to Subaruby for sorting meet points, completing the reckie and taking over from my initial idea – without your efforts we would’ve had to put it off again.

Cheers!

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Another great trip report from El_freddo.

I would like to add some pics of my own but unfortunately after taking about 20 shots I realised I forgot to put the memory card in my camera, doh!

The first little track was Gentle Annie Track, which is a nice little track to start with after all the tarmac.

After Gentle Annie we headed to Mount Sabine Rd, this is a nice fast gravel rd which El_freddo and Venon took advantage off by power sliding through the corners.

I wish I had a video camera on my rear view mirror.

After a while we stopped for a map check so El_freddo came up with the quote of the day. He wanted to show us something that "he had been practising at work", it turned out to be a scandanavion flick. I wish I could practise that at my work!

Back on the tarmac and it was just cruising, it was nice to come across some vehicles that actually used the slow vehicle turn out lanes.

Curtis track was probably the trickiest track of the day and was a nice adventure but to go the other way would be a real challenge. The fact that the gate was locked when we got to the end didn't detract from the day it just added to the adventure. For example we would not have heard the wild pigs in the bush, seen the 20 odd motor bike riders roar past us. At least one of the bikes stopped to see if we are okay, and suggested he used to have a key to all the gates untils parks vic changed them.

Once the ranger arrived two of the motor bike riders came back looking for there lost mate, and proceeded to ride up a bank around the locked gate in front of the park ranger, apparently a $500 fine if you can catch them.

After getting through the gate we headed back to the tarmac looking for some food, we found it in Apollo Bay where we had some fish and chips.

We then planned the next phase of the trip, as no one was in a hurry to return home we decided to head to Aire River camp ground where there was a sand track we could drive on.

I think we were a little excited to hit the sand as we did not air the tyres down and El-freddo decided to yell out over the uhf "i'm bogged all ready" so I slammed on the brakes to go back and help him out. He wa only kidding though, but we decided no more jokes about getting bogged as I nearly got bogged for real after slamming on the brakes

After loweing the tyre pressures we tackled the infamous hill where we provided entertainment for the rednecks.

But I must say we had a blast, even getting bogged was fun, but finally getting to the top was better.

At about 8 pm we decided we should air up the tyre and head towards home, even though it only felt like 6 pm. The stop for the Koalas was a nice distraction, very nice pic El_freddo.

So back at Apollo Bay we celebrated a great trip with a drink at the local and then the long drive back up the GOR.

There was a slow tourist on the way home who would not pull over and an aggressive driver to harass us but it in no way deminished the day.

Great trip and great company, long day but well worth it, can't wait to go again.

Thanks El_freddo and Venom
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:28 pm

Wow, quite the EPIC trip. Nice!

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:57 am

It was an awesome day and It was great to do a bit of everything. We covered a huge distance starting at about 6am for me and finishing at nearly 1am! I was still seeing white lines after i went to sleep i swear. Thanks to Subaruby who did a great job planning and organising the trip.

Cheers,
Rhys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Good times, good company! When shall we do it again? I reckon we pack the swag ;)

Cheers

Bennie

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:39 pm

Nice! Couple of good looking tracks!

If that area is used again, I can recommend Parker Hill campground, it's the the same area as Aire River (which also has a nice campground). It's also quite small, nice drive in and has a private beach down the hill :)

I was working with Xavier college this week in that area, was the sandy track you had there the one that goes off left just before the bridge at aire river campground?

Definately keen for the next one! I have a few maps for the benella area, including a topo of an old pine plantation :twisted: LOADS of potential and close to melbourne. Any offroaders keen for a reccy in early jan?

Another great report El_Freddo! Love the pic of the Koala, classic!

Cheers,
Owen.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

Return to “Victoria”