Trip Report: Cobaw 04-05OCT08 ***Dial up warning***

El_Freddo
Master Member

Trip Report: Cobaw 04-05OCT08 ***Dial up warning***

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Hey all,

Here's the much awaited trip report with plenty of pics to come!

First off: Who attended:

Kris - Suby 87 riding in badger - a white 3 inch lifted touring wagon; Charlie from offroadsubarus.com in his relatively new foz; Benji and his dark rangie plus myself in the still unlifted Ruby Scoo.

After puzzling Kris on the calder by heading in the wrong direction of the meet point we met at 9am at Carlsruhe Servo - I had gone to pick up my cousin to come with us for the day, that's why I was headed in the wrong direction...

From the start of the day there's little photos that document it, but we do have some all over the place video from my cousin, he's 12 and loves videoing the sky! he did get some good stuff though.

I think we scared charlie - I hadn't given a thought to the fact that he may have never 4 wheel driven before, and the first climb caught me out on that. From here we found some easier tracks to get him in the swing of things unitl I found a track I wanted to get to the top of. After some rock hopping, sandy hill climbing and fallen tree removing we got to the top - where Kris's badger took flight, slipped sideways and landed on a rock bending the radius rod. We patched that up and headed back to mine for spares. Charlie had to head off on a work related matter which was disappointing as we found some neat tracks that he would have much prefered. Next trip abilities will be taken into account before heading out...

Here's Kris's effort on the radius rod. We drove on this for about 7 km to the parts bomb:

After this and some lunch we headed back into the forest to "that puddle" that Heath knows so well for a bit of fun(unfortunately no action shots):

Ruby Scoo telling us like it is (read as Kez was here...):

^ I got my first real snatch outta this hole, nothing serious, just a rear diff that's said hello to the ground when I slipped in the ruts.

At this point we had about an hour or two of sunlight left so we headed off to camp track - this was a little dull until we turned right after the last water crossing in the valley instead of left like we did last time. Down this road we found what is possibly 4wd mecca of Cobaw, for crawlers anyway:

^ I found that a bit challenging but got through after a change of angle.

Posers:

The entire crew at this stage of the day:

And this is part of the reason why Kris wants a rangie:

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:48 pm

^ From here we were really burning daylight and I didn't know how to get out of this area. We found some HUGE ruts that some 4wd had been down recently.

I followed a track up the hill hoping it would join us back onto camp track - there were some serious ruts to get over for the unlifted Ruby S, at times kris seemed to have some trouble too. We won't mention the rangie...

I was starting to get impatient, namely cos it was becoming harder to see and was very much the same thing - round rocks that never stayed in the same place, a very new way of 4wding that I've never experienced.
Kris unfortunately blew his heater core - the second one in two trips with me!!! We re-routed that and got on way again. I bellied out on a massive boulder that we had to travel over - that or spend a good hour or two chainsawing a tree to clear the track in the now almost dark...
This is the boulder you can see in the headlights of the rangie:

After we got out of here my third lesson was learn for the day: go home the shortest way - I took a scenic route and Kris's L lost more water and had to be left for the night - I gave the option of a tow but Kris assured me that the badger would be fine in the bush for the night.

A few mates came over and already had the fire going, I cracked out the "fun police" cos my mates are pyros - the fire was huge and I thought all my wood collecting had already been used. Lucky for them they got their own.
A good night was had, the next morning we collected the badger...

This took a bit of time, trying to get rid of air, securing hoses properly etc. Then on the way up to the main ridgeline the Badger got a little hot so we turned around - met up with some seriously modified toyota surfs that were clearly out looking for some good play area. I didn't have time to show them what we found yesterday.

Down at home again we did some radiator cleaning to help the badger get to the hole again:

This time we got to the top and half way along the ridgeline to the water hole before the badger wanted to dig another hole so to speak. We waited a bit, waved past some motor cross riders, then were on our way again - this is when the fun began!

Back at the "water hole":

^ Bring back memories Heath?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:07 pm

At this point we thought about going home. There was a rather funky smell in the air, its hard to describe but we put it down to the amount of murky water our L's had been driven, slid and dragged through. After about a minute we narrowed it down to Kris's L - it turned out the thermo fan got a blade stuck at some point and was cooking itself - the wiring was very hot - too hot to touch. Even the battery seemed to have warped. His switch had copped it too. We were bloody lucky it still ran:

From here we decided it not a good idea to drive Kris's car home so I towed him. There was one hill that my L couldn't hold the weight and when it did there was no traction so the badger did a little bit of it under its own steam. This photo is from the change over to me being at the rear towing - yes sounds strange but it was all down hill for a good km so I was the anchor as I still had my power brakes and engine braking to use:

Down at home it was "dirty L photo shoot time"

^ Looking very green in the photos - its funny how your eye doesn't appreciate the green until you see it in a photo...

^ Lift is defenetly in order - especially after this:

^ Thank the subi gods for the bash plate...

Then we cleaned out the radiators of all the mud they had consumed - there was heaps of the stuff! Kris wired up another fan, you know where to drop the replacement Kris (wink, wink - too many pics for a wink face)

My second thermo that I wired in ran like a dream - the first time I was able to control my temp to a point, if one didn't do the job the factory one kicked in and got the temp under control again. Without it this trip would have had two L's in the same boat!

All in all a great weekend had. I hope more members can make the next one (I had a Mr Green face here but that too was too many pics...) Kris was talking about a trip to the wombat forest at some stage... Keep your eyes peeled.

I'd like to thank Kris, Charlie and Benji for rocking up - without you guys it wouldn't have been nearly as fun - and I wouldn't have tried to get my L stuck in the puddle. I'd also like to thank my girl Kez for attending on the sunday - even though she hates (i'm trying to turn her) 4wding. Thanks for your photography work too, with out it there'd be very little pics to look at...

By the way, I still have a bit of puddle in the rear left hand well where the jack usually lives - there's a hole in the body work from factory that allowed all sorts of crap in there. Ruby Scoo still enjoys a decent coat of mud at the moment, she got a bit of rain on the monday but nothing that really moved any mud...

Hope you all enjoyed the pics, I'm sure you'll see more posted later. I have video but that'll most likely be used for a general 4wd video.

Anything you'd like to add Kris?

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:11 pm

Oh yeah, the three lessons learnt on the saturday:

- 4wd within you and you're convo's abilities, only taking acceptable risks when discussed - teach those who want to try new things among others that can help if they become stuck/unsure.

- head for camp when running low on daylight, even if you're already close to camp

- take the shortest/easiest route to camp, don't delay your arrival by taking "one last track" or the scenic route.

Cheers

Bennie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Yeah also another hint is to get out of the bush at least 1 hour before sunset to give you backup time in case you get lost.

Sounds like you had a good time guys, I'm hoping to come again next time!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

preno

Post by preno » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:11 am

That looks awesome mate. Lot of fun to I bet. Love the pic of your car covered in mud not being able to tell what color it is! i think pic 17?..

anyway it looks great!

matt

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:54 am

Looks awesome. Great pics. Very unhappy i missed out. A front wheel bearing went soon after i fixed the chewed out splines on the rear hub.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:26 am

Yeah, Good Times!!!

Thinking of another trip after uni's done, probabily mid november - I have no idea what i'll be doing employment wise but I'll still commit to it :D

Still not sick of the Cobaws - I've found a few area's I'd like to show you guys some day!

Cheers

Bennie

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:58 pm

Looks great!

Don't run your finger through the dry mud, I have
I S U C K
C O C K
scratched into the full size of my bonnet now, a mate thought it to be funny at the time!

How deep is the puddle? And awesome front rooster tail from Badger in the puddle!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:17 am

Bumpty wrote:How deep is the puddle? And awesome front rooster tail from Badger in the puddle!
That'd be Ruby Scoo with badger about to give a snatch. RS had bottomed out on the engine crossmember and the rear diff, she was going no where!

The depth - a 3 inch lifted L with 26 inch tyres could make it through traveling on the ruts without a problem, a standard lift L there was no chance!

Of course the water level is lower than last time we were here, at this level in the centre it would be a little above the bottom of the door I'd reckon - a good reason not to get stuck there!

And Venom, I think my front right bearing might be on the way out too, started making a whirring noise this morning around town :???:

Cheers

Bennie

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:27 pm

im surprised ruby scoo hasnt even got 14's yet. even they make a difference before the lift kit comes. get on it!!
nice pics tho mate looks like a great outing

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:51 pm

Subafury wrote:im surprised ruby scoo hasnt even got 14's yet. even they make a difference before the lift kit comes. get on it!!
nice pics tho mate looks like a great outing
I had 14's but with the same diametre tyre as standard on the L - they shagged out and at around that time Wraith had a set of 5 sunnies with good tread for sale, being the uni student I am these were snapped up. The 14's are in the shed waiting for 4wd'n rubber - which I've now got a set of 26 inch "sherpa" tyres from a good mate. These will hopefully go on the rims late november when my bank account rises well above what it is now. At about the same time I hope to be making a 3 inch lift kit for her, straighten out the dings on the sill panels and go from there. We'll see what happens.

Even though I've got no lift or offroad tyres it still doesn't stop me giving it a go... Just gotta beaware of the limitations of the ride height :(

I hope to be back out here soon. November 14th Benji (Rangie boy) is taking me out to an old quarry in benders that's managed by a local 4wd club for a day's fun. Can't wait!

Also can't wait to get my assignments done... one week to go, then some FUN :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

L-Raiser

:)

Post by L-Raiser » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:41 pm

Looks like a GREAT trip Bennie....! Thanks for the pics! Gorgeous country you have over there for sure....and some nice challenging terrain. Going by your dented pics, its definately time to lift her. I cant wait to hit the bush with my lifted L.... ;)

Its getting to that time of year when its bloody awesome going bush....

L-Raiser
:rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:46 pm

L-Raiser wrote:Going by your dented pics, its definately time to lift her. I cant wait to hit the bush with my lifted L.... ;)
Yeah, its been in the pipeline for a while. Dad and I are going to have a go at making our own lift. I'm thinking of something a little different in size with a few bits that are custom to help the captive nuts hold for as long as the car doesn't rust out...

Yeah the country over here is a lot more varied in a smaller place for sure. If you look in the right spots you can find just about any type of 4wd'n. But we're not allowed on the beach in a vehicle over here :(

I'm hoping to get out and about in a few weeks again... And Ruby Scoo needs a wash :D

Cheers

Bennie

L-Raiser

Post by L-Raiser » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:32 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Yeah, its been in the pipeline for a while. Dad and I are going to have a go at making our own lift. I'm thinking of something a little different in size with a few bits that are custom to help the captive nuts hold for as long as the car doesn't rust out...
Sounds like a fun challenge....would it be legal though Ben, sounds like it could almost leave you more open to a defect sticker and cops are getting bloody tough these days. I've never SEEN so many cars getting around with defect stickers! But if you can get away with it, go for it mate!...Should be a rewarding venture for sure.... :)
El_Freddo wrote:Yeah the country over here is a lot more varied in a smaller place for sure. If you look in the right spots you can find just about any type of 4wd'n. But we're not allowed on the beach in a vehicle over here :(
I'm hoping to get out and about in a few weeks again... And Ruby Scoo needs a wash :D
Cheers
Bennie
NOT allowed on the Beach. Awww that sucks. It sooooo much fun too. I guess when you have so much excess of beach they allow us to do so here n there in WA. Subes are great on the beach too, coz they so light, you can barely notice they've been there, as oposed to a heavy that is.... ;) I hope to one day tour the bush out your way...would be awesome. What did you thing of WA when you visisted recently Ben....?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:13 pm

L-Raiser wrote:Sounds like a fun challenge....would it be legal though Ben, sounds like it could almost leave you more open to a defect sticker and cops are getting bloody tough these days. I've never SEEN so many cars getting around with defect stickers! But if you can get away with it, go for it mate!...Should be a rewarding venture for sure.... :)
Probabily wouldn't get away with it too long around benders, the cops hate cars! Apparently we're the hoon capital of victoria cos the cops have impounded the most vehicles. Anyway, back on topic, once everythings been done I'm hoping to get it engineered for piece of mind and insurance purposes.
L-Raiser wrote:NOT allowed on the Beach. Awww that sucks. It sooooo much fun too.
Yeah well, we've got enough other places to go anyway, that and my car would rust out very quickly!
L-Raiser wrote:I hope to one day tour the bush out your way...would be awesome. What did you thing of WA when you visisted recently Ben....?
I wouldn't say I was in WA recently - it feels like it was ages away, its almost been a year! Ruby Scoo's done just over 25,000km since rolling over the 350,000km mark in perth.

I loved perth, it really felt laid back... Something that everyone tells me I'm good at :???: I also loved the feeling of being away from it all even though we were in a city area. I don't know if that was from being away from home/in perth with motorised wheels for the first time or just the feeling of remoteness from the Eastern states. Either way I loved it...

And watching the sun go down over the ocean was a novelty for us.

I'd be road tripping over slowly this year if I could - one thing I want to do is camp down on the beach for a few days before heading off again...

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Victoria”