Wreckers - what's there...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:18 pm

Any new updates??? I'm still putting EVERYTHING we wanted in the brumby, um, into the brumby, so have not had any urges to pick a parting reciently.

But I'd still like an update...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:31 pm

Campbellfield is the same as previous posting. But there is a white L series in preparing yard (no access atm)

MIGHT go Jolly's on Sunday... not sure - depends on the time.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:12 pm

Well, last night dad told me he was going to centre road, so I "tagged" along.

new rule - no matter what you're going for (tyres and "research" on rangie's air ducting and heater system was today's activities), ALWAYS take the tool box - you'll find out why shortly.

New vehicles:

- Sky blue MY coupe - a bit of rust but could be a good restorer - sports dash with 190xxxkm from memory

- White MY touring wagon, complete with tyres and keys, looks like it could be driven away - auto with sports dash and tan interior (from memory)

- Touring wagon, colour of GT's leone. Turbo converion with AWD Auto boxe. No 4wd disc hubs anymore :D :D :D Motor etc seemed complete. I hear its now missing the dash (RX 6 guage) and interior door panels due to GT catching wind of the situation ;)

- There's another brumby there, rearend damage, 1990 model with AC - last one reported is gone now...

Apart from that pretty much the same as last time, Gold MY TW gone.

As it happens I spend 3 months looking for a good sports dash - 3 weeks ago I got one. Now there's 3 sitting at centre road with a selection of grey or tan surrounds. If anyone wants one of these in their MY all you need is the entire dash from left to right, and the wiring behind it. This will plug into your existing wiring without any trouble. It worked a treat on Sunnie - I should add a dial up warning.

The other part to the story is finally finding a complete set of 4wd rear discs. With only an over sized shifter I thought I was going to get them off, till the caliper "cage" got in the way. I borrowed a tool and got this off only then to find the hub firmly attached to the stub axle. After probabily 30 mins of fooling around I got fed up and levered it off with the end of a club lock that dad found. $30 later and I've got the hubs only - uni student budget didn't allow the rest of the setup... yet.

I'm still stoked about the hubs :p

Cheers

Bennie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:00 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Well, last night dad told me he was going to centre road, so I "tagged" along.

new rule - no matter what you're going for (tyres and "research" on rangie's air ducting and heater system was today's activities), ALWAYS take the tool box - you'll find out why shortly.

New vehicles:

- Sky blue MY coupe - a bit of rust but could be a good restorer - sports dash with 190xxxkm from memory

- White MY touring wagon, complete with tyres and keys, looks like it could be driven away - auto with sports dash and tan interior (from memory)

- Touring wagon, colour of GT's leone. Turbo converion with AWD Auto boxe. No 4wd disc hubs anymore :D :D :D Motor etc seemed complete. I hear its now missing the dash (RX 6 guage) and interior door panels due to GT catching wind of the situation ;)

- There's another brumby there, rearend damage, 1990 model with AC - last one reported is gone now...

Apart from that pretty much the same as last time, Gold MY TW gone.

As it happens I spend 3 months looking for a good sports dash - 3 weeks ago I got one. Now there's 3 sitting at centre road with a selection of grey or tan surrounds. If anyone wants one of these in their MY all you need is the entire dash from left to right, and the wiring behind it. This will plug into your existing wiring without any trouble. It worked a treat on Sunnie - I should add a dial up warning.

The other part to the story is finally finding a complete set of 4wd rear discs. With only an over sized shifter I thought I was going to get them off, till the caliper "cage" got in the way. I borrowed a tool and got this off only then to find the hub firmly attached to the stub axle. After probabily 30 mins of fooling around I got fed up and levered it off with the end of a club lock that dad found. $30 later and I've got the hubs only - uni student budget didn't allow the rest of the setup... yet.

I'm still stoked about the hubs :p

Cheers

Bennie

Tools.... I know that very well... sometimes you're bummed that you know you have the correct tool at home and don't want to leave the wreckers empty handed... ( I hate that! because i worry if someone else takes it if i find good thing!!!) (I'm now service tech on woodworking machinary, my boss & co worker has seen my tool box and says "what is this for?/do you use this on the machines with worried looks" I said, its in my tool bag just in case I need to use it one day - never know! lol

Sounds great about the hubs... would love to see your Brumby and If I see it i will be jealous because I just want one!

If you have 10 mins extra for driving from Centre Road, I suggest you to go to Jollys on Greens Road Dandenong South.

Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:19 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:"what is this for?/do you use this on the machines with worried looks" I said, its in my tool bag just in case I need to use it one day - never know! lol
Sounds like SuBaRiNo Dave's Hatchie - has everything packed in there just in case. His spare hi pressure fuel pump came in handy, thanks again dave ;)

The other thing I forgot to mention is:

- one set of four aftermarket 14 inch sunraisers in the back of the brumby. I put them all together ;)

Cheers

Bennie

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:29 pm

El_Freddo wrote: - Touring wagon, colour of GT's leone. Turbo converion with AWD Auto boxe. No 4wd disc hubs anymore :D :D :D Motor etc seemed complete. I hear its now missing the dash (RX 6 guage) and interior door panels due to GT catching wind of the situation ;)
Just wanted to thank Bennie as after Im gonna put the door trims in my car will be complete! I got the 4EAT gearbox trim also - very cool.

Got that dash also (its actually a GLTA not an RX dash). Gonna go again next week, so that I can get the loom. Once I have that, all I need is the 2WD 4EAT gearbox off a Vortex, and my car will be finished - Yes.

Can I ask that if anyone raids it (the dark blue touring wagon), they leave the computer and the loom for me please?
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:54 pm

GTlegs wrote:Just wanted to thank Bennie as after Im gonna put the door trims in my car will be complete! I got the 4EAT gearbox trim also - very cool.
No worries there mate, I'm always willing to help out if its not a part i'm after :mrgreen: Not that its ever been an issue before (chasing same parts for someone else)

So if you don't mind me asking, how much was all the gear you got? My hubs cost $30! A steal in my mind :D
GTlegs wrote:Got that dash also (its actually a GLTA not an RX dash). Gonna go again next week, so that I can get the loom. Once I have that, all I need is the 2WD 4EAT gearbox off a Vortex, and my car will be finished - Yes.
What's the difference between a GLTA and RX dashboards? I don't remember seeing a turbo light on it, not that I was looking...

I thought you were going to get the 4wd auto box? - you had the 4wd button installed in the right hand button switch panel last time I saw your car on the cruise... Is the 4EAT box different to the AWD auto that's in that touring wagon???

My thoughts were that the wagon was a conversion done from an auto RX turbo - its got the mounts for the rear sway bar on the swing arms, factory turbo engine crossmember (no cut and shut on this one ladies and gents). If I was inclinded to drop a turbo in I'd probabily grab the crossmember too - if not the one in the vortex would do too.
GTlegs wrote:Can I ask that if anyone raids it (the dark blue touring wagon), they leave the computer and the loom for me please?
Good luck on this, today is not looking like a sweet pick a parting day to me (its been raining steadily all day in benders) - good thing you went yesterday... Is there a secondary loom for the auto box with separate computer?

Cheers

Bennie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:36 pm

As today Sunday 27th July.
Went to Jollys today.. I was gutted to see how many Libertys there - had a look at all of them but it was raining and didnt have very good look.... there were 17 Liberty there - too many what they had (3 were 2nd Gen) and the rest was Gen1, most of them still have EJ22 engines there. one had RS Lib bonnet. One Gen2 Lib has Sun Roof ($95 for it) (there was also another Gen2 Lib with sunroof but badly damaged) and I want it but no spare $$$

2 L series - most are still completed, one at the back has 14" Sunnys complete with hub cups.
I think I saw about 4 MYs
3 95 Imprezas GC1
Subarus that I have/had:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:35 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:As today Sunday 27th July.
Went to Jollys today.. I was gutted to see how many Libertys there - had a look at all of them but it was raining and didnt have very good look.... there were 17 Liberty there - too many what they had (3 were 2nd Gen) and the rest was Gen1, most of them still have EJ22 engines there. one had RS Lib bonnet. One Gen2 Lib has Sun Roof ($95 for it) (there was also another Gen2 Lib with sunroof but badly damaged) and I want it but no spare $$$

2 L series - most are still completed, one at the back has 14" Sunnys complete with hub cups.
I think I saw about 4 MYs
3 95 Imprezas GC1
That's a fair amount of subi's!!!

How much do they charge for EJ22 + wiring/AFM/Exhaust maifold? I'm just getting prices as these will be "hunted" for later in the year if not early next year...

I'm keeping an eye out for a liberty that runs, damage doesn't matter, for near the $400 mark - If I could get one of them and the bank account is in my favour I'd be like :mrgreen: !

Dreams eh...

Cheers

Bennie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:39 pm

Price from Jolly's - From memory about a year ago, complete engine (manifolds ignition modules etc) is around $195 approx.. could be less or more. I know its $125 for bare engine (block & heads)

And wire loom is about $25
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

heath

Post by heath » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:12 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:Price from Jolly's - From memory about a year ago, complete engine (manifolds ignition modules etc) is around $195 approx.. could be less or more. I know its $125 for bare engine (block & heads)

And wire loom is about $25
Cheers
AP
is there any way to tell if one of the ej22 are any good because i only got the ej20 but thinkin i may aswell go the whole hog and go to jollys or somewhere like that an grab the engine, box an rear diff in 1 shot. i already got the computer loom and all the hang ons then sell the engine an box(only a 2wd) i already have. i dont no much bout the liberty engines thats the only reason i ask

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:37 pm

I'm not sure if the EJ20 loom and ECU would run the EJ22... that's the problem here - Can anyone clarify?

Best way to know if the engine is any good is to pull it from a car that's been stacked, clearly showing that it didn't go any further than that. Make sure the wiring is in good nick or I'd be grabbing it from a car of the same year/model/generation. Also check the oil to make sure its not waxy black.

If you were going for the engine, gearbox and rear diff you might as well ask them for the whole car, it would most likely be cheaper in the long run and you'd have all the bits you need.

Cheers

Bennie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:15 pm

CentreRoad as 4/08/08
3 L series
1 Brumby (still has 14" sunnies in the tray)
3 1st Gen Liberty (2 Sed & 1 wagon)
1 2nd Gen Liberty wagon
1 Sherpa
1 MY
1 XT Turbo

Didn't really pay attention to all above - only had a quick look. Found brake control for towing (electric brakes) was happy that I got hold on that from L series wagon..

Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:16 pm

Oh!!!!!! something I found today, that white L series has approx 2" or 3" Lift Kit installed.... Would be cheap upgrade for your L series.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:44 pm

Went to Centre road on Sunday - the blue L-series is gone. You are the absolute man for messaging me el Freddo - If I didnt get the interior then, I never would have.

Had a look at the lift in the L series. It is a two inch lift. Seems in good nick.

Those that want to look at the brumby - its tray is bent.
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:03 am

GTlegs wrote:Went to Centre road on Sunday - the blue L-series is gone. You are the absolute man for messaging me el Freddo - If I didnt get the interior then, I never would have.
Mate, I'm still smiling about the hubs :mrgreen: That car was so fresh when I rocked up that I had to get the forklift guy to get its rear off the ground so I could have a go at the hubs.

I havn't seen the white L with the two inch lift... Might have to make a trip, I want a 3 inch but having a two could be a good start, especially if its cheap! Just don't know when I'll get around to it with the 4wd day and all (and no funds for the parts, again!)...

Cheers

Bennie

carlie400

Post by carlie400 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Hey :)
Whats a gen 1 brumby ?
~Carlie
Not Fugly!![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:19 pm

carlie400 wrote:Whats a gen 1 brumby ?
Where did you get that from?

Bennie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:46 pm

carlie400 wrote:Hey :)
Whats a gen 1 brumby ?
~Carlie
Can't see any Gen1 Brumby? Maybe mis-read as Gen 1 Liberty?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:53 pm

I think he means the 1970's brumby - the one he appears to have, ha ha

Return to “Victoria”