The Next Meet

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:38 pm

I'm keen for whatever is going as long as I'm not working, might have to do some more scouting for the Bowral track see what I can find.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:58 pm

Bowral would be ok too, yeah Baron if ya can find out more about it.....
:lol: it ain't that far from a certain pie shop!
Kanangra walls sounds good too, definitely its an overniter tho, esp from here..

subalex

Post by subalex » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:06 pm

I'm on holidays for a few weeks so there's a distinct possibility of going on a trip... perhaps the last weekend of the school holidays? That gives us time to plan the day and Jordan can have a scout around Bowral for a trip. I can get some more clear directions for a Kanagra Walls trip too.

As a matter of interest, I went with the Subaru Club to Lidsdale Nat Park in a last minute decision to go. It's a location used sometimes for our Driver Training depending on the tracks driven.. and there are many. It was thoroughly testing and quite a lot of fun. We had two lifted MY's, my L-series, a Forester XT with the replacement front and rear bars and a variety of Toyota 4WDs and others. Of course, the Subies proved jsut as capable as the bigger fellas.. especially when on the thick mud section leading to a climb where the one and only fully kitted out GU Patrol went nowhere.. completely filled up with mud in it's Cooper Discoverers and needed snatching to the complete surprise of us all.

Anyway, this is certainly a great location for a nearby trip for us I think. When stopped for lunch, we saw a convoy of standard X-Trails going by in a tag-along... obviously not going where we did where more ground clearance was needed but none-the less impressive.

So, when can you get to check out the Bowral tracks for a Recce Jordan?
Alex
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:37 am

I've found out a little more info, apparently the track is near where old south road and merrigang streets might up behind Bowral, it then heads up Mt Gibraltar past the local substation, still haven't had a chance to do any recon, unfortunately not sure when I will be able to at this point either.

Jordan.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:46 am

is that bushland/forest/farm area there? I hear Bowral suburb spread is fairly wide these days :(

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:02 pm

Apparently bushland yet to actually see it though.

Jordan.

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:35 am

LOL @ BVCP

The Canyonaro episode was on last night.
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

subalex

Post by subalex » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:55 am

Okey dokes,

I'm back from the family hol's up in Ballina... more L-series than you can poke a stick at - they all must go there to retire :lol:

Is anyone interested in a day trip this weekend? Not sure if I can yet but I may as well get the ball rolling.

Alex
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:28 am

Sorry :( Me busy for long time now missta.
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:19 pm

subalex - I'm not quite back in action yet mate. Have stuffed my back so have been taking it easy all week, but starting to feel better now. Will take my time but hope to get my car running again over this weekend.

Realistically prob not next WE yet either, but soon.

Hanging out for a drive though.

Smokey

subalex

Post by subalex » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:40 pm

No probs Smokey and Mudrat, I've had to tend to the power steering on mine anyway. Have finally found the leak in the pump and have a replacement ready to go in tomorrow. (Thanks to Pick n PayMORE, Blacktown) Perhaps another weekend soon.

Any news on the Bowral route?

subalex

Post by subalex » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:52 pm

I've just checked the Subaru Club's Calendar and we've actually got a new members trip through the Turon area - basically just north of Lithgow on Sun 23rd July (2nd time this trip has been organised this year because the last time was just plain FULL), we're also going to the Watagans for a night run on Sat 29th. If these sound good then it's because they are.

If we can't be bothered doing a reccie for ourselves then we can sure tag along with these - you can follow along as non-members for now.

Good people running these trips, should be good. I'm hoping to get away on the Turon trip. Anybody else interested in that... yes yes.. we'll not forget the other ideas too.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:11 pm

Finally got a chance to search for the Bowral track, it's pretty full on, won't be taking the outback on it thats for sure, would be good to see how muddy's beast goes....and 32ford's stock brumby just to embarass everyone again :lol:

Some pics (sorry bout the crappy camera phone quality, as usual click for larger version)
Going up:

And back down:

It does go up and around the corner in the last "going up" pic but it seemed to level off, just guesing though.

There's a mixture of sand, rock, clay all sorts of fun stuff, should be good especially after some rain :twisted:

It's pretty easy to find, it's on Merrigang St in Bowral almost at the Old South Rd intersection, the entrance looks like a dirt driveway going up the side of a substation.

If we decide for a bowral run I vote we meet at the Robo pie shop and work from there, who's in?

Jordan.

PS: Does someone mind if I ride shotgun, don't want to break the outback :roll:

subalex

Post by subalex » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:06 pm

Looks to be a piece of cake, really. Only need a little more clearance for an Outback though, yes. Higher set springs and a 65 profile AT tyre should might do the trick. Just take off the black plastic strip inside the edge of the rear arches before the tyre does. :lol:

Happy for you to ride with me, keeps the L-series from bouncing around so much to have some more weight in the front than my 10 year old :P

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:48 am

:P doesn't look too hard, tho pics can be deceiving...name a day,
is mudrat still in? I guess he's the furthest away, so gets to pick the day first?
subalex wrote:Looks to be a piece of cake, really.
:lol: you have to prove it now too....

subalex

Post by subalex » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:36 pm

What Subies lack in wheel travel we can easily make up for in wheel lifts purposely to step up things and, let's remember that we have as much ground clearance as a Hilux (with the bigger tyres fitted), more than a Pajero, Jackerpoo etc... so we can roll in their ruts too. I've been pretty well suprised by what these babies can do while driving mine.

Besides all that, smarter driving gets a car in a better position and along the track. And that's what we should aim to be, right? Smaller, very manouverable cars with good thinking drivers do better. ok ok ok had the pep talk... I'll get off my soap box.

The dare is on.

smoov

Post by smoov » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:04 pm

i'd bring the 'cruiser, but doesn't look like i'd even need to put it into 4wd.... :lol:
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:18 am

Just remember pics can be deceptive . . . looks pretty good!

Return to “New South Wales and ACT”