Penrith NSW Blue Slip woes

Smokey

Penrith NSW Blue Slip woes

Post by Smokey » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:25 am

Hello NSW crew,

Went to get a blue slip this morning and was knocked back on the below:

L Series TWagon, EA82 webbered.

1) 2" lift kit, solid aluminium blocks
2) One pipe part of the EGR system blocked off (unsure of this one myself-previous owner). Looking at a bog stocker spare it has a plug too.
3) Webber-fact that it sucks air from inside the engine bay, not outside air.
4) Bull bar blocking the parker lights.

Was told all these things need an engineers cert. I have had no experience blue slipping or modding cars before. Any advice guys?

Im thinking of just taking out the lift, taking the Webber off (not sure if I have everything to go back to original). Put back original bumper and swap the EGR plug over from the spare.

Someone mentioned an emissions test, so got one done and its not looking good. However the RTA make no decision, was told to take it to the engineer. I thought they would make the final decision :(

with the EGR thing, below is a pic of the device it goes to. What does it do and where do the small 2 outlets go? Seems air related.

Cheers,
Smokey
Attachments
What is this 1.jpg
What is this 1.jpg (57.15 KiB) Viewed 5056 times
What is this 2.jpg
What is this 2.jpg (49.03 KiB) Viewed 5056 times

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:49 pm

Engineering is expensive.......especially fit fails so it might be worth just putting it back to stock for the test if you can do it yourself. I had to get the WRX engineered, it passed no prob but still a pain in the arse, I should have just registered it stock then done the mods as we only need to go over on initial registration, not once a year.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:27 pm

$1000 is close enough for engineers cert. get it back to spec and go plain blue slip again - less headaches. Pink slips after this event do not generally look at your car same as blue slip. Advice is go to a pink slip only level AIS next year, not an AUVIS bluey

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:16 pm

Smokey, a few things:
1) NSW is the pits to go over the pits!!!

2) Has this cars rego lapsed over 3months?

3) The 50mm lift should not be a problem if its quality. In NSW we are still allowed 50mm of lift before certification is required for anything over that.

4) Yes the Webber arrangement will be a problem for NSW rego, so just replace with stock Hitachi Carb and air filter setup.

5) The photo you have provided is that of an Anti After Burning valve. This has nothing to do with EGR system. On the EA82 carb models, there was either EGR (85' - about 89') or Anti AB (89' - 94') fitted to engine, not both. At some point your cylinder heads have been swapped with those from an EGR equipped engine, hence the mess.
If your year model originally was fitted with the later, then all you have to do is have it correctly plumbed up. The EGR is the worst of the pollution gear because it leads to excessive carbon fouling of the inlet manifold and heads!!

6) The bullbar is a reasonable call. Some of these aftermarket bars are generic in design and therefore do obstruct the lights. I removed the bullbar on my wagon for that reason - partially obstructed the already poor headlight arrangement on the L'series.

In conclusion I dont believe you need engineering certs for any of this as such, your just being squeezed by some smooth criminal. Even so you can put it back the way it is after you get it all regoed.

J

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:46 am

I have encountered a few blue slippers that do not know exactly how rules apply so 1300 137 302 are your friend treat them with respect and offer to call back if they are busy.
Do not bag the AUVIS guy either.

Please tell about the emissions test you had , was it at Botany ? How much? You could almost get a one year old car to fail some of those emision tests too!

And be positive when you return for blue slip - all the lift and weber stuff was a pin in the bum - you prefer it fixed the way it is - original O. K ?

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:56 pm

d_generate wrote:Engineering is expensive.......especially fit fails so it might be worth just putting it back to stock for the test
Thanks d_generate. Im going to be doing that over the next few nights. Engineer is not an option for me. 2 reasons, 1 money, but 2 I feel if all is stock the car will pass as its just simple for them, nothing to have them liable for.
steptoe wrote:...And be positive when you return for blue slip - all the lift and weber stuff was a pin in the bum - you prefer it fixed the way it is - original O. K ?
Yep good advice steptoe, I was angry and a little confused on Monday when i got home but see the logic in your advice now. Stockers and go back smiling like they are doing me a favour :)

Emissions, let me get this stuff sorted and i'll update with my "registered" car.
FujiFan wrote: 2) Has this cars rego lapsed over 3months?
5) The photo you have provided is that of an Anti After Burning valve....J
Yep out off the road for about 18 months. But not for much longer! And never again after all this drama. Hehe only way to learn hey :)

Thanks for that info re EGR & AAV. "As far as I know" my webber engine was from a 85 vehicle, but it was definitely not original (88 body). It has a dodgy cover over the area that my 86 one has the big pipe going to the AAV. So the 86 will provide the parts (its actually the body im using). If I had my engine crane might be easier to swap the engines again...anyway.
So then the 86 also has a metal pipe that connects to the exhaust flange of cylinder #3. Cannot remember where it goes though. Related to some other emission's thingo I guess. Will swap it all over if it looks easy enough.

2 quick questions, AAV, Large pipe goes to the inlet manifold, where does the small one go (two connect into one but where from there)?
Secondly where is the air form that goes to the canister near the windscreen that powers the inside air ducts, ie face to demister?

Anyway gottta get out there. Thanks again guys!

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:27 pm

The 2" lift must be engineered in NSW. I went right into this and there was no option. Mine cost about $250.00 for a solid Scorpion (I think) lift about 9 years ago. It seems (in NSW anyway) anything apart from standard means a fail.

Smokey

HELP - Need original Steering Wheel

Post by Smokey » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi Guys,

Im almost done with the damn Blue Slip stuff but I need an original steering wheel. I think Pick and Payless Blacktown has one L Series but the steering column is gone so unsure about the actual wheel.

Does anyone have one I can borrow for the inspection? I'll pick it up and drop it back with a six pack for the trouble.

P.s reply to this thread or PM me.

Thanks
Colin.

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:37 pm

:(Kept my original for this reason, so can help out! :cool:
I shall dbl check where I have stored it, then PM if still needed:)

J

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Thanks FujiFan,

I have found and installed my one. Didn't think I had one lol. Who said being a pack rat is a bad thing.
So I think I have everything in order. Will see how it goes again this Sat.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:36 am

Its only a bad thing when you finaly toss something, then you find you want it - FWD sedan rear coils is my most recent example. _ I kept two sets of wagon springs instead that are totally usless to me! I think I have an MY wheel to toss, or I have already, Smokey made me think for a minute....

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:15 am

Yeah Steptoe I agree, well I do now :)

I have a full spare L just need to now work out the best way to store the parts without having a full car in my yard.

I'm happy to announce that she passed the inspection so now it's time to put the lift and weber back in/on!

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:04 am

While I had the carburettor off I replaced the two water hoses that are under everything between the Inlet Manifold and the block. Could have probably used any old hose but as I want to keep this girl alive I got genuine ones.

Pics and part numbers below for reference.

Drivers side 807605032 $17.52

Passenger side 807606172 $22.68

Attachments
Driver side water hose [640x480].jpg
Driver side water hose [640x480].jpg (49.09 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
Pass side water hose [640x480].jpg
Pass side water hose [640x480].jpg (58.13 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
Water Hose Pass EA82 [640x480].jpg
Water Hose Pass EA82 [640x480].jpg (83.18 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
Water Hose Driver EA82 [640x480].jpg
Water Hose Driver EA82 [640x480].jpg (83.33 KiB) Viewed 5039 times

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:11 am

good write up there mate, glad its all passed.
Yeah blue slip guys get all annal when they spot the first missing pipe and generalize. Lol they thought it was an EGR valve, probably never seen an ea82 before......
Though a 2" lift doesn't need engineering, no point arguing that with the blue slip, their job is to keep crap cars off the road and give dodgy yahoo's a hard time.
Looks like you did all the right steps.:D

Return to “New South Wales and ACT”