Blue Mountains Trip - Sat April 8, 8am

Smokey

Went on a short one today in Faulconbridge

Post by Smokey » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:41 pm

I was in springwood (Blue MTNS) today so went for a quick drive on a trail I used to ride on the pushy.. Track was prety knarly! There were a few spots where I had to get Roger, my co pilot to direct me over the rocks. Its in Faulconbridge on Chapman Parade. Take the M4, turns into Great Western HWY, right in Faulconbridge onto Grose rd, right onto Vhapman Parade....follow it along till it goes dirt. Its only a short one say 10km one way and U have to come back the same way. We didn't make it all the way out, was running out of time but we were close to the end. Very recomendable to any lifted car.... Even my 3" lift had to pick the track carefully, some big rocks w sharp angles.

Had a hoot of a time though - wish I had the camera....

Looking forward to the 8th......

Smokey.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:09 pm

ok, so what do I put into whereis for the destination?
GROSE RD, FAULCONBRIDGE now? btw, Murphys Glen didn't work...whats the nearest road point?

BTW, is Continue along WESTERN MWY, EASTERN CREEK 21.87 km 13 mins , is that a tollway ? how much?
lol,I'd have a lump in me throat if need to pay a toll,but anyway if it makes it easier....at least I don't have to use it everyday like some you sydney fellows may......

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:24 pm

Sounds like the M4. No toll.

Murphey's glenn is off Bedford Rd, Woodford.

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:17 am

Please take lots of photos for me.
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

Smokey

M4 Toll

Post by Smokey » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:52 am

M4 toll is $2.20 each way. Though its fairly close to the city so you would prob miss it.

The Grose Rd track in Faulconbridge is just a drive I did and though I'd share with you all. Were not doing it on Sat 8th, as its not suited to non-lifted cars, but would be a good detour for those coming up this way some day, as its a short but rocky (big rocks) track. Yes Grose rd/Chapman Pde Faulconbridge in whereis.com would get u there.
We meet at Maccas in Penrith (near Panthers & Krispy Kreams) at around 7am.
Hope to see u there.

Smokey.

smoov

Post by smoov » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:51 pm

sorry to butt in. i don't own a subaru, so i really should STFU, but....

a) Colin - I have a handheld radio ;)
b) Fred - why drive through a toll? Tollway is at Silverwater!! Don't tell me you're driving from down South via Homebush Bay Drive!!! Whatever happened to heathcote rd -> hume hwy -> cumberland hwy? (and there are many alternative routes that don't require tolls!!)
c) if you guys want a suggestion as to a good place to have a romp, that's friendly with the standard height subarus, and also give the lifted, more capable cars a good going, why not try ourimbah? its only north of sydney by about 40-50 minutes (sorry fred :oops: ) and has been my old stomping and proving grounds... but i'm happy to go wherever the captain pilots the ship ;)
d) no worries Nathan - i'll be designated photographer ;)

is this strictly a subaru event? i have a twin locked turbo troopy sitting here looking too clean..... :lol:
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:39 pm

Smoov - the handheld sounds good! Also any car/vehicle can come along, more the merrier...
:wink:

subalex

Post by subalex » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:43 pm

yes, alright Smoov, your Troopy might have locking diff's but does it have the clearance and wheel travel to match the Subies on a serious trip like this? :lol:
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

smoov

Post by smoov » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:38 am

subalex wrote:yes, alright Smoov, your Troopy might have locking diff's but does it have the clearance and wheel travel to match the Subies on a serious trip like this? :lol:
yes, and
yes

:lol:

not meaning to start a war here.... i think i may leave her at home :lol:
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:22 am

smoov,ok with yer troopy, if your missing your sube..we can swap...for a day :) haven't drivn a bigish 4wd since bro got rid of his LRseriesII yrs ago...and various test drives :)

Watagans and Jenolan i think would be ok for me, remembr its a one day trip,and i don't usually like 1day trips anyway...so while it may be close for you guys...its far enough for me,so if its as the topic says..is best for me.

Further afield,nth of sydney, lithgow etc....well in the same month is the stockton trip, and yeah i'd be up for the long way up or back to that, i'll be setting aside several days to it :)

subalex

Post by subalex » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:28 pm

How is shaping up for us to do the trip suggested for this weekend, meeting at Penrith Krispy Kremes? Personally I'd be glad to hear people are getting out in their Subies but I can't myself. I just signed up the three older kids up for Saturday sports that start this weekend so Saturdays are pretty much out for me until I can organise alternative child care while my wife is at work.

Signed, the white Subaru all dressed up and no-where to go.
(Alex)
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:33 pm

I went and had a look at the track at Faulconbridge yesterday, that's quite a hardcore track! :D I managed to make it quite a long way in my unlifted RX, but I came to a very big ridge that I doubt even a 3" lifted car could do without major denting, although I didn't get out and have a look. May have been a way through. Will have to get some thermo fans or go back on a cooler day to check it out!

Smokey

Sat 8th Trip - west of BM...

Post by Smokey » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:11 pm

Subalex -
Signed, the white Subaru all dressed up and no-where to go.
Not good hey! Gotta do what u gotta do....

PeeJay - Good track hey!!!! I'm 3" lifted and it gave me some serious though on how to attack a few spots. I didn't make it all the way out as I ran out of time. On the way back I had all 4 wheel spinning on some rocks getting back up & out. The water puddles & sand, then a steep rocky climb make it fun to navaigte. The worst part though were a few big single rocks in the middle of the track, not enough lift to get over them and no room to get around them, only way was to put one wheel over them, suspension was making some strange noises doing that!

I'm still in and deffinatly going... prefer not to go alone though.... Smoov will be riding with me but will be a little lonely w only one car so I hope more are coming, fred-sub? Xela, may not be able to make it, though i've got my fingers crossed.

I'll be heading out to Bathurst (and staying overnight) after the drive so if anone want to do another track further west that we can get done in the same day.... :lol:

Meeting at Macca's beside Kristy Kreams (spelling?) at 8am. I'll be getting some brekkie there so hope to be 5 min early. PM me if your coming along. I'm trying to get my CB going (not ganna happen now), but Smoov will bring along a handheld if mine is not going in time.

All are welcome, hope to see you there.

Smokey.

P.s sorry about the spelling :D

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:42 am

Whats the CB UHF REPEATER channel in the Penrith area? if there is one?

Sideways Subaru

Post by Sideways Subaru » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:58 pm

KUR02 is the repeater at kurrajong and RIV04 is the one at blaxland or there abouts. they're channel 2 and 4 respectively if thats any help :wink:

smoov

Post by smoov » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:53 pm

I'm terribly sorry to do this, but i can't come out.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Work are short staffed, and have begged me to work this weekend.

:evil:

Please take lots of photos for me.
:twisted:

cheers fellas (until next time)

alex :oops:
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:13 am

It was a great weekend, pity only 2 cars. Saturday Met up with smokey (Collin) at Penrith and headed to Faulconbridge.
That is an EXTREME!! track
I have some pics and i'll get it sorted this week. A dedicated camera person
would've got more......
for now just a short report on the track - its dry, just one mud ditch which we avoided, bolders and rocky. It tests your clearance.
We lowered the tire pressure to about 28psi (from 32-34).
The LSD diff shows its worth, Collins super trippers looks like its only got about 3-5mm tread left, yet it went real well.
Brand new CoopersSTT on mine made good traction up rocky patches...however a bit of overconfidence in a section you couldn't well stop did the sidewall in of a tire :( its only really had 1 day of use :( :(
now I just need some traction control.......lower gearing is probably not likely :(
But we didn't get to the end of the track.
With no spare that was the end of any extreme 4wd for me.
However I did check out a few spots off the road where it crosses the abercrombie, south of Black Springs. Looks like the Abercrombie Nat park could have some good 4wd wheeling ? Any one here explored it some?

Oh, everyone with 4wd must do the gravel road from Wombeyan Caves to Mittagong..you won't be disappointed. If you do, go west to east, then its 90% downhill :)

PS. Collin is a great bloke and is giving Alex's old sube every bit of a workout that its intended for :D :D

smoov

Post by smoov » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:30 am

fred-sub wrote: Oh, everyone with 4wd must do the gravel road from Wombeyan Caves to Mittagong..you won't be disappointed. If you do, go west to east, then its 90% downhill :)
i did that road in a 2WD corona...fun!
fred-sub wrote: PS. Collin is a great bloke and is giving Alex's old sube every bit of a workout that its intended for :D :D
good to hear :D
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:08 pm

I did the Golburn - Wombeyan Caves road in 30cms of snow in an '81 corolla! Now that was fun!! I ended up getting scared and turned back about 15kms after the road turned to dirt. Snow was so deep the radiator was acting as a snow plough.

Smokey

Small Vid

Post by Smokey » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:24 am

Hey guys,

Fred-sub and I had a great time. And will have to do another one soon. I'm going back this fri to try to conquer this track....

Here is a small video of our attempts to get to the end. The file is too big and takes a while to buffer. I will attempt to reduce its size soon.

http://www.ausubaru.com/main/modules.ph ... pic&t=2029

Smokey.

Return to “New South Wales and ACT”