Blue Mountains Trip - Sat April 8, 8am

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:48 pm

Hey yeh Smokey, your so lucky to have that track so near...
heres some pics.....

only 2 cars showed up :cry:
Faulconbridge track
Smokey checking out the track route

fred-sub stuck btw a rock and a hard place :lol:
some road modifying

out of the rough stuff, pump tires up again, and change a tire :(

hey but it was fun ay....will be back there again, not too soon tho..

smoov

Post by smoov » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:08 pm

thanks for the pics lads :)

looks like a great track!!

will have to go on it soon :D
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:04 pm

some more pics on the trip....
the western slopes (to Oberon) its looks dry out there hey?
allways on the lookout for new places to go :)
dirt road to/from? Wombeyan
Ok,ok want sube pics...
traffic on the Wombeyan to Mittagong road, hey you got 2 subes!!
Wollondilly...bush camping available here (not free, but cheap i'm told)...looks quite peaceful....
now that should stop a double decker bus, and I hope caravans from venturing into these parts.....

smoov

Post by smoov » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:25 pm

Fred - where abouts is that camping place?

i went camping on the weekend out at Kanangara Boyd National Park, just outside of Jenolan Caves. We stayed in the Dingo Dell Camping grounds, only accessible by 4wd. Camping grounds were a little dissapointing, amenities were rather poor, and campgrounds fenced off (not allowing you to set up annexes or extensions to your vehicle).

Some mild - moderate 4wding, with a couple feet high river crossing... damn i need to hurry up and buy a decent GPS system!! there seems to be a lot of 4wds out an about exploring all the fire trails out that way...

I would be keen on a wombeyan caves/wollondilly/kanangara exploration soon, hopefully before i sell the troopy.

alex
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:38 pm

Are you referring to the Wollondilly ? its nowhere near Jenolan Caves :lol:
Its nearer to Wombeyan caves, about hmm 3/4 way btw Wombeyan and the hole in the wall...
hmm i haven't yet looked at my GPS trails......

Yeah I'v read up a bit about all the exploring that could be done around the Jenolan caves area on the Overlander forum :) so must be fairly busy eh?

Next I'll be in canberra in a few weeks time, so thinking of taking a week off and exploring the Brindabellas...yeah will be cold me thinks but should be good...not sure whats there yet tho....I guess you've been there already hey Alex?

smoov

Post by smoov » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:29 pm

not exactly sure what it was called, but its the area where they had the rally of canberra at.

LTurbo / 32ford / Mudrat will probably echo the fun we had out there exploring and mucking about (OK, maybe not Mudrat.... :P)

awww. they were fun times :(
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:13 pm

Cotter pine forrest, past Cotter reserve on the way to Tidbindilla(?)

32ford

Post by 32ford » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:47 pm

I think that is what you would call the spot, we started a the turn off for Peirces creek foresty settlement and didn't see much tar from then on. Mudrat seemed to know where he was at all times

subalex

Post by subalex » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:58 pm

Just caught up with the thread and just noticed the discussion of Dingo Dell and Jenolan Caves etc...

The Subaru and Rec. 4WD Club does the Kanangra Walls trip every year, arranged especially for the new members and it passes through Dingo Dell and a couple of creek crossings. Did that with my then brand new Outback a few years ago and while it was right on the limits of approach/departure angles it was a great trip. We had about 30 cars that day and usually have around the same number each year. As a matter of interest, I think Fred-Sub is right in that we are represented again at the 4WD camping show this weekend.

As for the Jenolan Caves etc... I did a camping weekend in the Nat Park there with the club a couple of months ago and the tracks there are pretty gnarly. Had more wheel lift on those two days of driving than any other trip... car on a nearly tipped over angle a lot of times and the engine kept stalling as a result. Pretty scary stuff. We had a Patrol, Prado, Land Rover, a Troopy, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, an Iveco truck (an awesome spectacle it is), then a lifted Forester and my lifted L-series. Of course the Subies did everything with a lot more skillful driving. Forester suffered only another dent in the bash plate and I got the first dent on a header. No biggies. Satisfied my need for challenges for a long time to come. Lots of tracks, lots of dirt bikers there, it would be interesting to do a reccie there to find out what's washed out compared to the trip I did. Heaps of changes to the tracks had taken place before we went.
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

Return to “New South Wales and ACT”