The RS6 - 1st gen Liberty EZ30D Conversion

EJ series vehicles with some conversion they didn't leave the factory with...
Donkeytits1

Post by Donkeytits1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Make that 100% certain. B126 (a) Pin 20.

Shown as always connected in the engine wiring diagram, which has both auto and manual wiring on it, but I've found my fair share of errors in the FSM diagrams.

Slide that pin out of your ECU plug, and you should have a manual EJ22 ECU :D
Attachments
B126 Pinout.PNG
B126 Pinout.PNG (4.55 KiB) Viewed 9043 times
Pages from Subaru Legacy 1992.jpg
Pages from Subaru Legacy 1992.jpg (84.43 KiB) Viewed 9043 times
FSM extract.PNG
FSM extract.PNG (15.9 KiB) Viewed 9043 times

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:59 pm

thanks mate. i cant remember if i did that already when i converted it.

i am from wollongong originally. might have to come check out your conversion next time I am down.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Are you able to adjust the IACV to drop the idle revs?

I've finally done it with my EJ22 converted L series - now purrs very quietly at 750rpm or there abouts. I'm thinking I'll make it a tad higherthan that as it can sit below 750 sometimes and it doesn't sound good :/

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Donkeytits1

Post by Donkeytits1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:54 am

El Freddo: No you can't man, not mechanically. When operating in closed loop (ie when you're stopped), the computer is constantly taking feedback from the crank speed measurement and adjusting the IACV position to achieve a preset RPM.

I think I can change my preset value through FreeSSM, but thats because my ECU is newer.

Donkeytits1

Post by Donkeytits1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:03 pm

So now I'm installing an R180 rear diff in the car, and this is the shaft I need.

Anyone know where I could get some?

(PDF drawing in the zip file)
Attachments
CV joints.zip
(71.31 KiB) Downloaded 375 times

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:09 pm

what is your motivation to fit the R180? You are going to blow the gearbox long before you do the R160 diff.

You can't dish out enough abuse to require an R180 unless you have a 6 speed or built auto in my opinion.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Donkeytits1

Post by Donkeytits1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Because I have two of them just siting in my shed. And you have a better selection LSDs. For example, I have a clutch pack diff and a torsen to choose from, and i'm fitting the torsen because I expect it to be a nicer diff to drive around town with - This will be my only car when its done. Can't get a torsen 160, from what I've been able to find.

And why not? it bolts right in, all I have to do is find a driveshaft solution, and I haven't run out of options for that yet

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:14 pm

torsen would be great on the road. should work well behind your dccd setup too. custom shafts wont be cheap though.

Donkeytits1

Post by Donkeytits1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:47 pm

'Custom' could simply mean matching splines and slipping different CVs onto a shaft used on another vehicle.
CV's drive shafts and diffs seem to be very standardised. For example, the R180 long nose diff is used in allot of old Nissans. So are R160s. People swap subie ones into Datsuns all the time. NTN seems to be a big player with CVs. Went to the wreckers today, and most of the drive shafts had NTN CV joins with codes that correspond to this series.
Repco even has a catalogue with allot of common part numbers across cars.

The bloke a the local auto parts shop (a total bunch of champions here in Wollongong, allot will know them) rang up a supplier in Sydney and said it could be $150 a shaft. Which isn't too bad. We'll wait and see what comes from it. Apparently they have over 600 shafts for Subarus in stock, some of them 'custom'

Here's to hoping its something that can be matched up with stock parts. If it something random like a bloody '85 Saab 900 LH Front with a Subaru outboard CV and Datsun inbaord' I'll be sure to post it here

KiwiL

Post by KiwiL » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:25 am

Donkeytits1 wrote:'Custom' could simply mean matching splines and slipping different CVs onto a shaft used on another vehicle.
CV's drive shafts and diffs seem to be very standardised. For example, the R180 long nose diff is used in allot of old Nissans. So are R160s. People swap subie ones into Datsuns all the time. NTN seems to be a big player with CVs. Went to the wreckers today, and most of the drive shafts had NTN CV joins with codes that correspond to this series.
Repco even has a catalogue with allot of common part numbers across cars.

The bloke a the local auto parts shop (a total bunch of champions here in Wollongong, allot will know them) rang up a supplier in Sydney and said it could be $150 a shaft. Which isn't too bad. We'll wait and see what comes from it. Apparently they have over 600 shafts for Subarus in stock, some of them 'custom'

Here's to hoping its something that can be matched up with stock parts. If it something random like a bloody '85 Saab 900 LH Front with a Subaru outboard CV and Datsun inbaord' I'll be sure to post it here
There's a bloke in the US who figured out how to create custom R180 shafts for an L series, here's his website:

http://wordpress.suberdave.com/?page_id=275

Donkeytits1

Post by Donkeytits1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Cheers for the tip man.

I'm aware od SubaDaves part. Its essentially an inner race with a 22 tooth spline that goes onto the R160 shaft. Very little info in exactly who he gets to make them. They are also 200 dollars US, which just for the race is a bit of a rort, and I'd have use my old shafts which are getting old now.

I do suspect his motivation is because he couldn't find anything off the shelf. But I haven't finished going down my rabbit holes yet.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:43 pm

KiwiL wrote:There's a bloke in the US who figured out how to create custom R180 shafts for an L series, here's his website:

http://wordpress.suberdave.com/?page_id=275
I like his disclaimer at the bottom of his webpage!

Interesting. I wouldn't mind an r180 in the rear of Ruby Scoo but only if I could dig up an old air locker to fit into it... That thought has crossed my mind a number of times.

My other thought was shoving a hilux it's diff in there but there's a few issues to do this. One lasting one is the physical weight of the diff - it's almost like having another gearbox in there!

I'm surprised no one has made a set of adaptor stub axles - r180 spline count and diametre to fit into the diff with the output stub end being the standard r160 specs...

It's all fun and games!

Cheers

Bennie

Donkeytits1

Post by Donkeytits1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:13 pm

What I am surprised about is there is a common series of CV join sizes, yet there is no reference or catalogue anywhere I can find which details the inner (bar side) or outer spline details! Without that info matching anything is useless. I don't know if the likes of NTN provide the OEMs like Subaru with blank un-splined CVs or whether they are made to order. Definitely R180 inner CVs seem to be standard at least on the diff side.

Anyway, I crashed my temporary runabout - an immaculate 1981 Honda Prelude, a car I've owned since I was 17 (about 12 years) and rare as hens teeth - Devastated about that. But it means the R160 is going back into the Subaru for now.

Will stay on the hunt for an axle solution. Got all the measurements off the car now, so it'll just be a case of doing the swap once I get something sorted. Can't wait to drive with an LSD.

R180 locker - Haha a quick google showed up all your posts circa 2011 on USMB - Dude, looks like you can buy one for 1g US. And looks like ARB make theirs - Although I'm sure you know. Sounds pretty sick. That means people won't have to sign up for Uneeks R160 thing people have been signing up for for 12 months

Donkeytits1

Post by Donkeytits1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:09 pm

I did get a response from the head of NTN Australia and, he basically said the spline details are made to order for the OEMs. So that's why you can't match spline counts. Bummer.

Also photobucket, what a bunch of cnts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Knew someday I'd get to play with the fun toys

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:24 pm

Hey DT, that's not surprising about the driveshafts. Custom??

Or make up a set of custom R180 output stubs to mate your standard driveshaft to the diff (I would like this for an R180 locker to fit in Ruby Scoo).

Also, if you could smash out a write up about that auxiliary cable mod to the stock radio I'd be very grateful - I'd like to do this to the RS's stez (for when I finally have it on the road whenever that'll be).

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: The RS6 - 1st gen Liberty EZ30D Conversion

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:59 pm

Hey DT, any updates on your build? Still running awesome?

Cheers

Bennie

Donkeytits1

Re: The RS6 - 1st gen Liberty EZ30D Conversion

Post by Donkeytits1 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:58 pm

So should post an update more that two years late...

Car still running like a champ, haven't changed anything about the swap and everything's perfect except
- The cordial bottle overflow has melted a bit
- The catalytic converters are cooked - I am getting cat efficiency codes and I believe they are legitimate

I think the converter issue is due to the fact the cruise RPM on the highway is a fair bit higher than it is with the auto box, and I have done allot of highway kms. I'll either replace the cats or fit an O2 sensor spacer to slow it down a bit

Got the R180 in, and bought the adapter spiders off subaru dave. Didn't seal the boots propperly, water got in and they shat out. So I've got full size shafts and hubs and am in the process of making an ABS sensor solution (the hubs are non-ABS). 4 pot brakes are on the front and bled up, and the rear 2 pots are ready to go.

So it'll be driving again soon

Good on ya AUsubaru and ElFreddo

Return to “Conversion work”