Who Shoots/Hunts?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:12 am

60766244 wrote:
Horses make great dog food though. ;)
I hear horses make great pies etc , in some countries - France ? I believe ? The label on the meat is quite clear of what animal it was and horse is available in butcher shops. Not sure what cuts humans eat, what cuts to the dogs? Not sure if it is still considered good luck to step in a dog turd on the street ?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:02 am

Horse tastes like horse :) if the animal is butchered properly you can get basically the same cuts as you do from a cow or bull. the meat is gamey and has way less fat on it.

as for hunting, nearly 20 years ago I owned a 25 shot semi auto .22 and a bolt action .243. the .22 was for target practice and the .243 was for shooting kangaroos.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:15 pm

My main meat is usually venison,goat,duck,fish and rabbit. We get asked to take out the occasional wild bull or troublesome cow. Usually only keep the eye/rib fillet plus a rump or two. 90% of my shooting is with .22/243 but have bigger stuff on hand if needed. Nice to know there are other people on the forum who were/are shooters. We are law abiding citizens but don`t always get treated well.

Post by 60766244 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:59 pm

steptoe wrote:I hear horses make great pies etc , in some countries - France ? I believe ? The label on the meat is quite clear of what animal it was and horse is available in butcher shops. Not sure what cuts humans eat, what cuts to the dogs? Not sure if it is still considered good luck to step in a dog turd on the street ?
We didn't touch it. Roo was our preference if we had wild meats...

Horses were just hoisted up, bled, skinned then chopped into bits then into the block freezer. Sounds brutal but, dogs loved it and was cheap!
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

H-top

Post by H-top » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:31 pm

A lot of people I have encountered believe that if you own a firearm, you are an uneducated redneck, I make sure that they all know I am not uneducated. :P
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Sorry for not posting sooner,been away chasing deer poachers. And people wonder why land owners don`t let access to their properties. I supplied stock squad/police with photo`s of 9 different vehicles as well as gps locations so they can proceed with legal action.Also,one property owner has taken wheels of another car as it was illegally on his property. This same bloke catches several people every year and the cops have a field day with them.

Post by 60766244 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:50 pm

phil nelis wrote:Sorry for not posting sooner,been away chasing deer poachers. And people wonder why land owners don`t let access to their properties. I supplied stock squad/police with photo`s of 9 different vehicles as well as gps locations so they can proceed with legal action.Also,one property owner has taken wheels of another car as it was illegally on his property. This same bloke catches several people every year and the cops have a field day with them.
Something I love about my place.
Big enough to hide me in, but small enough to hear any unauthorized movements.
Nice soft sand border it too as well as a forest the rest of the way through, so tracking others movements on there is easy for when I am not there.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

H-top

Post by H-top » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:58 pm

I really wish i had enough land to shoot on :(
H-Top

rolling in

H-top

Post by H-top » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:20 pm

very busy though it seems, mate?
H-Top

rolling in

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Got reply back from Roy&Gayle out west. They are going to start harvesting before the end of the month and have suggested leaving trip till June or later, but have said they would be happy to have help during harvest for all expenses and full board. Basically get treated as one of their own. I think i`ll go just to get my name around a few more properties as help when needed.

Katnook

Post by Katnook » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:57 am

Good to see some hunters on this forum. Its never easy finding places to shoot close to the coast of QLD, but I always have the local range and the in-laws have a nice property close to childers than I get to chase wild dogs/dingoes and foxes on. Had a bad season this autumn with the dogs in the area killing a lot of stock, and I havn't been lucky enough to get one this year....got winded by the dogs, then 2nd time I got close enough I didn't have a light with me as the sun got down too low and I could only hear them. Its a real buzz to howl one up!
Hopefully get a chance over this next year to get out a get a few pigs, if not there is still lots of fishing to do :)

Post by 60766244 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:18 am

Anyone else have pictures of their gear/wins?

Just got this one the other day:

Pretty keen to get good with it and teach some of the local bunny/fox population where they can go!

zookcruzr

Post by zookcruzr » Wed May 07, 2014 1:03 pm

Hey guys, was gonna put up a similar thread but found this one.

I'm in NSW and go out a fair bit.

The brumby will be set up as a spotlight rig hopefully, if the money is there lol.

Anyone else use their subbies for this fun sport?
Never use big words where diminutive ones would suffice.

preno

Post by preno » Wed May 07, 2014 6:15 pm

zookcruzr wrote:Hey guys, was gonna put up a similar thread but found this one.

I'm in NSW and go out a fair bit.

The brumby will be set up as a spotlight rig hopefully, if the money is there lol.

Anyone else use their subbies for this fun sport?
Just got myself another brumby after a few years of not owning one. thinking of making a bracket with a gas strut that will sit in where the targa top glass sits. a remote spotlight will then attach to this bracket. not keen on cutting a hole through the middle part of the targa top.

zookcruzr

Post by zookcruzr » Fri May 09, 2014 7:59 pm

Yeah sounds good but I wouldn't be keen on cutting in a Targa. You can get some pretty good suction cap spot lights now with the hand that hangs down. They work well. It would fit between the targa tops too.
Never use big words where diminutive ones would suffice.

Return to “Queensland”