forester air flow sensor

phat4boxa

forester air flow sensor

Post by phat4boxa » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:33 pm

hi guys,
finally sold my turbo l series
and have upgraded to a forester x
doing a few things to it and want to get rid off the original air box and filter and replace with a k&n pod filter
anyone know what to do with the air flow sensor and all the breather/vaccum pipes that go to the heads.
cheers for any info

rust proofing , and 30mm robust springs going on next week
2 1/2 exhaust and stainless muffler going on tomorow.
new nudge and spotees and sump guard rocking up friday... getting all set up for the beach. and next sunny coast drive
cheers dan

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:49 pm

I personally wouldnt bother with a pod filter. Waste of money on a NA car or even an unmodified turbo engine.

You will gain nothing but dust and dirt in your engine by fitting a pod filter.

If you want to free up the intake system, you could remove the resonator air box inside the drivers side front guard
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

phat4boxa

Post by phat4boxa » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:17 am

Thanks buddy, but i think ill buy a cold air intake, as long as you clean and re-oil the pod filter and its a K & N. sending my ecu away to get remapped and it will want to suk alot of air. that original air box and stock crap is so restrictive. you can feel the car trying to go but simply cant breath with half a lung.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:01 pm

Air flow meter + oiled air filter = Fail

You will end up with an oily residue on the wires of the AFM and it will result in poor idle and drive-ability.

Believe me if you are hitting the beach, leave the intake the way it is. You will thank yourself later on. The longevity of your engine far outweighs the extra 0.5Hp you might gain from freeing up the intake.
Subaru designed the intake system to keep as much sand, dirt and water out of the engine as possible.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:31 pm

You can buy a k&n filter that will fit the stock air box i have one in the liberty and it goes great i did notice better performance
Pod filters are to much bother you have to be careful not to get them wet. It only takes a good size puddle or a wave to come up the beach quicker than you thought and spray water everywhere that's all it would take.

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

phat4boxa

Post by phat4boxa » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:17 pm

thanks guys. i think i might get a k&n in the original air box then.
nice 1

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi phat4boxa and welcome to AUSubaru :)

Go with the K&N filter but also remember not to put too much oil on the pad. If funds aren't too much of an issue, then look at the genuine STi filter (almost a copy of the K&N) and no oiling required.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Queensland”