Newbie Question...Who are the BYB?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Hamish71

Newbie Question...Who are the BYB?

Post by Hamish71 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:41 am

Is the "Backyard Boys" a business, or a bunch of guys who run a forum with an interest in Subarus?

I ask becasue the banner link doesnt work, and my attempts to get in touch with "them" in order to discuss getting work done on a Brumby has proved fruitless.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a similar organisation in Victoria (melbourne), Id like to know.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:41 am

Hamish71 wrote:a bunch of guys who run a forum with an interest in Subarus?

That's your answer. The conversion crew are qld based. That probably confused you more. I'll explain. The Backyard Boys were started by a couple of memebers pre-internet forum, making lift kits mainly. Lately they have been onto conversion adaptor plates and conversions as well. They are not a business, nor mechanics. Just Subaru junkies that like to help out the subaru community and spin a couple of bucks in the process.
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm

...does spin a couple bucks include doing conversions?

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:57 pm

yep... although with out NT trip coming up you might have to wait until July.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:21 pm

We are QLD based. Road trips to Victoria to work on Subes is just a little too far.

There is a few members from Victoria on here that may be able to help you out.

What is it that you are wanting to get done?

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:34 pm

There isn't really any type of Subaru organisations in Melbourne or Victoria.. (Apart from Subaru 4WD club of Vic)
What were you after?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:35 am

BYB-01 wrote:We are QLD based. Road trips to Victoria to work on Subes is just a little too far.
There's always a road trip to QLD...

Hey Brett, does the "BYB" title sorta slide over to those who are doing their conversion stuff at home too?

I'd be willing to help out depending on where you are (sale's a little too far for a day's work...). I haven't done an EJ conversion but I did (before I learnt how easy the EJ is) drop an MPFI EA82 in my L when the carbie job died...
Now i'm back to carbie and really really want my MPFI back (starts easier, power's better - a little bit - etc etc)

Tell us what your thinking of doing to your mighty brumby.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:54 am

I have exchanged a few emails with "Dave", but essentially, I wish to make my Brumby "Forester" like. I have an XT '05, and its almost perfect for our lifestyle....bar the fact that she who must be obeyed is not keen on the dogs being in the back, nor does she like driving the MX5 when I want to go camping for the weekend. Hence Brumby purchase. The aim is a car which has Forester qualities, that will do 85% on road, 13%dirt roads, 1.8% off road, and about 0.2% low range. Car carries the kayak, trailbike, the dogs, the sheep, daily drive to and from work. We live on 2km of dirt road, take the bike into state forest fortnightly, take the kayak to the murray monthly.

So, ideally, I want, MORE POWAH!! (sorry, too much top gear), good road manners, reliability. Am thinking an EJ conversion (what exactly, Im not sure), including AWD,5 spd, Dual Range; power steer; a/c; disc brakes; possibly a mild lift (2" at most). I am just in the final stages of rebuilding my MX5, and I am all "projected out" right now, so am investigating getting someone to do the majority of the work for me. Hence the enquiry. I did know you were in Caboolture, and as my "primary residence" is Bribie, that wors out well for me.

Subaman

Post by Subaman » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:22 am

It is Brett you want to speak to, BYB-01 on this message board.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:47 am

Hey Brett, does the "BYB" title sorta slide over to those who are doing their conversion stuff at home too?
Hell yeah.

I could do it for you if you can get the ute here. Do you have the parts to do it? If not, check out Pickles or Fowles Auction group and try and find a statutory write off Forester. If you look at Repairable write offs they generally go for a lot more money.

I suggest an excellent combination for what you want to use your car for as the following. Prices are estimate.

97-98 2.5 Forester manual front cut (complete written off car - rolled rather than pranged is better) $2500-3000
2" body lift $400
14" Koyote wheels $260
225x65/14 tyres $450
2.5" exhaust system $300
New springs and struts/shocks $650
New radius rod rubbers $45
Forester Power steer conversion

You don't have to do it all at once but it really is the best time to do it. All together.

It might end up costing you about 6k all up, but it will be like driving around in a brand new brumby.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:52 am

It really depends on how much you are willing to spend on the donor car as to how "new" the Brumby will be.

An 02 or 03 donor for example should have very few k's on it, the gearbox will be tighter and the engine management system is better than a 92 Liberty donor car. There is a little more involved wiring wise but the basic mechanicals are the same.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:42 pm

I wish I hadn't read this... :(

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:45 pm

Brett,

If I am going to get you to do the work, it makes little sense for me to buy a wreck here, and ship it to Caboolture. How do we get around that? And do you want to continue this here, or take it offline?

Hamish71
aka Morgwn at [email]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 pm

Hamish71 wrote:Brett,

If I am going to get you to do the work, it makes little sense for me to buy a wreck here, and ship it to Caboolture. How do we get around that? And do you want to continue this here, or take it offline?
I'll road trip the brumby up there for the cost of the fuel ;) ;) ;)

I love road trippin'

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:01 am

Send me an email if you want. byb_01_@ausubaru.c_om Take out the underscores.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:39 am

BYB-01 wrote:Take out the underscores.
Do you write it with the underscores to prevent worms etc. from using it to send you junk?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Craigus

Post by Craigus » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:27 am

Do you write it with the underscores to prevent worms etc. from using it
I imagine so - it's amazing how quickly spambots find a naked email address posted anywhere on the web - set up a sacrificial account at gmail or something and try it...
ImageImage

Return to “Subaru Chat”