Factory L series bodykit copies

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
wagonist

Factory L series bodykit copies

Post by wagonist » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:19 pm

I've imported a 2nd hand factory subaru L series "Ground effects" kit from the US.
It ended up costing me about 5 times what it should have, so in an effort to recoup some of the cost, I'm looking at getting some copies made.

The kit includes:
  • Front air dam
    2 x side skirts
    rear skirt (comes in 3 pieces)
This will fit directly to the sedan & (if you're lucky enough to have one) the coupe. The rear skirt needs to be modified to fit the wagon (which I may end up doing because I've got a wagon)

The first hurdle is to find a place that will:
  • make a fibreglass mould & copy the kit for a reasonable price
    preferably let me keep the mould (I'll certainly know the market for these better than them :wink: )
Anyone got any suggestions here.

The copying is going to have a fairly big impact on the cost, but what kind of money do people that could be interested think it'd be worth (be sensible here.... :wink: ).
Note: it'd be in unfinished fibreglass (so probably not recommended for offroaders :? )
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

WombatRacing

Post by WombatRacing » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:29 am

post some photos. Any of it fit a brumby?

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:41 am

Trying to get some decent pix, but my camera's not working properly at the moment.

This kit bolts to an L series. Anything can be made to fit anything else with time, money & effort.
But its not something I'm going to go to the effort of as:
  • I don't have access to any MY's
    There are 4 MY body shapes in Oz, as opposed to 2 L series (baring the very rare odd coupe)
Once (if) I get up & running, then if someone wants to buy one of the copies & mod it to fit the MY, then do the same as me by making other copies, then that would be their effort.

As this stage, I'm trying find interest to see if its worthwhile or not.

subarursliberty

Post by subarursliberty » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:52 am

The best thing to do is take a mould made and keep it in a safe place. :twisted:

I'm heaps keen for the kit and I will ask around who can do it. It will get expensive and if you don't want to keep the mould let me know.

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:32 am

subarursliberty wrote:The best thing to do is take a mould made and keep it in a safe place. :twisted:

I'm heaps keen for the kit and I will ask around who can do it. It will get expensive and if you don't want to keep the mould let me know.
I would prefer to keep the mould. I know I wouldn't want every L series in Oz to get one, & I wouldn't be putting it on an offroader anyway, but wouldn't be looking at charging a huge price either.
Basically, the cost breakdown would be
part of my original purchase price (shipping from the US is #@%^@%& expensive, 5 times what I bought the kit for 8O )
+ part of the cost of making the mould (would aim to spread this cost over multiple sales)
+ the cost of making the copy
+ a small bit for my time running around
+ any postage

BTW, if anyone's good at fibreglass & want's to have a go at the moulds, I'm sure we can work something out :wink:

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:45 am

:twisted: nuf said LOL

subarursliberty

Post by subarursliberty » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:29 pm

Nah thats heaps cool mate. let me know how you go. I'll ask around. I think I may know of a good smash repairer up this way that would be interested. He does really good work and does not advertise. Mainly custom street machines he does.

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:22 pm

id be interested in a set... but id much prefer to have a go at chopping up a wrx kit if there was one going cheap enough

LTurbo

Post by LTurbo » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:39 pm

errr, could I swap that auto box for a set :lol:

H-top

Post by H-top » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:09 pm

dead?
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

Return to “Subaru Chat”