Hatch Supercharger progress

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
chriSTIan

Post by chriSTIan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:08 pm

Dave
Have you got plans to intercool?or water injection??

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:33 pm

i have done some more research and i think an intercooler might be on the cards... water injection would be good but rather complicated. Still not sure what intercooler i can use either... i want a water to air intercooler but the EJ20 ones are a little too big... if someone knows of a smaller one let me know.

The only way i will turn to water injection is if i happen to end up over boosting the motor... if i get to where i want i shouldn't need it though.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:32 am

Yeah... I can understand all the dramas you might have with inlarge pulley... that's why I asked if it was separte to the Alt. But if you could make a larger pulley bolt onto the original pulley (of cause you would have to move the s/c more forward, to align the belt) you would, I believe solve 2 problems... 1. be able to vary your boost and 2. take a lot of belt pressure of the bearings in the Alt and P/Str Units. Whats your thoughts??
SuBaRiNo wrote:Yeah as Vidler said... there is all sorts of other problems when making the crank pulley larger. And i would probably only get away with a 10mm diamter larger pulley at the most due to the air con idler pulley bracket being close to it. This would also be at very big cost as it would have to be custom made. I can't find anywhere that does a overdrive crank pulley for an EJ.

Only real way to go about it is making the SC pulley smaller... which would mean i lose the clutch. Anyone that has had much to do with these knows thats no big loss. Im also trying to experiment with theses pulleys on the cheep cos there doesn't seam to be an exact calculation to work out pulley sizes and boost.

I don't mind spending big bucks on a pulley but i do have a problem with spending big bucks on a pulley that will give me not enough or too much boost. Aiming for 6-7 PSI. Although if i happened to fall about 5 PSI i will leave it at that.

Dave
There are other Water 2 Air Intercoolers on the market, like PWR Systems ( http://www.pwr.com.au ), which I have found to be a lot smaller and more efficient than the Subaru system... These are a great power upgrade to a s/c engine, we have 1 running on a Subaru Vortex, that has a s/c EJ20 WRX engine and it's outta control !!! :D

SuBaRiNo wrote:i have done some more research and i think an intercooler might be on the cards... water injection would be good but rather complicated. Still not sure what intercooler i can use either... i want a water to air intercooler but the EJ20 ones are a little too big... if someone knows of a smaller one let me know.

The only way i will turn to water injection is if i happen to end up over boosting the motor... if i get to where i want i shouldn't need it though.

Dave
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:17 am

There is not actually enough room between the motor and the radiator to run another pulley infront. Im running a tripple core radiator that makes it a little tight in there.

To give you some idea... i was playing about with the standard alternator belt cover plate over the weekend and found i only have 1cm or less clearance between that and the radiator if i was to refit it.

Could maybe be possible with a small V belt but the smaller the belt the more chance of slipping and like u said SC would have to be moved forward. Moving it is simply not possible. less than 1cm clearance before the SC hits the head light at the moment too.

Would be great if i could do it... like u said.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:34 am

SuBaRiNo wrote:There is not actually enough room between the motor and the radiator to run another pulley infront. Im running a tripple core radiator that makes it a little tight in there.

To give you some idea... i was playing about with the standard alternator belt cover plate over the weekend and found i only have 1cm or less clearance between that and the radiator if i was to refit it.

Could maybe be possible with a small V belt but the smaller the belt the more chance of slipping and like u said SC would have to be moved forward. Moving it is simply not possible. less than 1cm clearance before the SC hits the head light at the moment too.

Would be great if i could do it... like u said.

Dave
Sounds a little squeezy in there!! Can't wait to see it :)

Tripple core radiator ??? I'd look at a single core Aluminium Rad to give you the room in front of the engine... and HEADLIGHTS ??? What do you need them 4 ??? hahahaha
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:30 pm

Update.... I have located and payed for a smaller Super charger pulley that should not effect the rest of my set up except lifting the boost. Im not sure how much more i will get but from recent estimations it looks like 6-7 PSI in total which is what i was aiming for. I will also be able to keep the full function of the SuperCharger clutch so i can still manually turn it off. This should arrive some times this week. Should be fitting it next Sunday.

I have rewired the current SuperCharger clutch so that it goes through a switch on the dash and then through a pressure switch on my accelerator cable. This makes it start better and deactivates the charger at idle.

It is still running great but i belive now that i will have get an intercooler for it... im still trying to play with ideas for this but i think i have a plan (i may need vidler for this). Im thinking of going with the RS WAIC because im really trying to avoid a bonnet scoop.

Dave

Brumby Boy

Post by Brumby Boy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:46 pm

I am definatly doing a WA trip once my brumbys finished. That hatch is off the hook.
Long live the 1990 Subaru Brumby 2" lifted and soon to be mig locked
RIP 1992 Brumby

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2507954
http://www.myspace.com/brumby_boy

few self-respecting ricers would spend the time to modify a Daewoo.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:06 am

It might be a little late, but have you seen those PWR Barrel WAIC's?

Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:31 am

Suparoo wrote:It might be a little late, but have you seen those PWR Barrel WAIC's?

and have you seen the pricetag ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:34 am

You pay for what you get.
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:38 am

wouldn’t make any sense to use such a large and expensive unit for his application. his lib waic will do fine
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:11 pm

Nice one... yeah it's a bit late. And yes i agree it would be overkill... thanks for the input though... interesting to see other options out there.

Dave

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:42 pm

Brumby Boy wrote:I am definatly doing a WA trip once my brumbys finished. That hatch is off the hook.
Totally off the hook mate, you won't believe it till you've seen it! Dave has put a lot of work into the mighty Hatchie. Its really a work of art and something to strive for.

Watching it offroad was a sight to see as well...

Could be said that Hatchie would bring a tear to the hardest of subaru fanatics...

Cheers

Bennie.

PS Dave, need more pics/videos ;)
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:30 am

It's been a long time since i have put an update in here and to be honest i lost interest in this project while we got settled into our new house.

I have now cracked back into it and lots of it is now complete.

I have recently re-configured the Supercharger system and have relocated the throttle body back onto the motor. So now the charger is between the air filter and throttle body.

Doing this fixed one major problem i had with the old set up... i had mega throttle lag. I think the air intake system was just too complex with too many twists and turns. This throttle lag also meant it stalled rather often when trying to go from open throttle back to idle.

As you can imagine, with the charger now attempting to push air into a closed throttle body at idle, there was a pressure build up problem that was solved by using 2 BOV as bypass valves and a brake light pressure switch used on the accelerator pedal, set to half throttle. This switch makes the Super Charger clutch trigger only when the pedal is pressed down half way or more. This has already proven to save me fuel. Plus gives a great feeling when the Supercharger kicks in all of a sudden.

The WAIC is also finished now which has stopped any and all of the engine pinging i once had under boost.

Only things that i need to investigate more on is an aftermarket ECU and the possibility of running larger injectors.

Dave

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:39 am

Good to hear :)

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:50 am

so is it safe to be on the roads while that thing is around?haha

and can she come for a play offroad soon?

Chrus

Post by Chrus » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:33 pm

mmm sounds interesting Dave! ;)
Can you run decapped injectors in your motor and maybe a powerFC to tune it :confused:
MY05 WRX STI Spec C Type Ra
MY05 Legacy Outback LLBean
89 Legacy RS Turbo

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Dave, that thing was MAD as when I was over there, it must be off its tits now.

Glad its going easier on the fun stuff too.

Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:32 pm

Yeah the thing is insane. I love it. I have no idea what injector/ECU combo im going to look at.

Seams difficult to get a straight answer out of any of the performance places as to a recomended ECU. They will only endorse what they sell and it seams no where sells all the different types.

It's all good for offroading now... where as before it was questionable. As far as it being safe... it's fine until the SC torque steers me into other lanes.

Dave

Cam

Post by Cam » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:27 pm

Do you have any pics of the twin bov bypass system?

Cam

Return to “Subaru Chat”