97 Liberty help

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Volare-Q17

97 Liberty help

Post by Volare-Q17 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:18 am

Hi Guys, yep another newbie :) I was just after a bit of info (help) regarding a 1997 RX Subaru Liberty Wagon i am looking to purchase.
Is there anything I really need to keep my eyes open for? I have had an inspection done and it came back looking pretty good from what I can see and what I know about Subaru's, which isn't a great deal as i've only owned one prior to maybe this one.
Many thanks
Graeme

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:37 am

Check service history is must, and check when the head gaskets has been changed and check if it has updated head gasket done to it.
Apart from that its a great car, plenty of power, and check for rust around the window (can be common problem but rarely find rust on them - have seen a few.) Ah... how much is it can i ask? and how many kilometres
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Volare-Q17

Post by Volare-Q17 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:37 am

AlpineRaven wrote:Check service history is must, and check when the head gaskets has been changed and check if it has updated head gasket done to it.
Apart from that its a great car, plenty of power, and check for rust around the window (can be common problem but rarely find rust on them - have seen a few.) Ah... how much is it can i ask? and how many kilometres
Cheers
AP
Hi AP
Many thanks for that. He told me originally that he blew a head gasket, and while he was getting that fixed, changed the other one as well (dunno if they are Subi or aftermarket gaskets). On the mechanical inspection I had done, I asked for a compression test, all 185 - 200 which seems ok to me. No rust at all. The mechanic who did the inspection was very thorough, even told me of a clip missing from a door trim and small minor stuff like that.
The only things on the neg in the report were: Grease leaking from one outer CV, though no sign of noise etc., Engine has hesitation, but he goes on to say that the air cleaner is dirty and the plugs need replacing which combined could cause the hesitation. Needs a coolant and brake fluid flush and the auto has a harsh shift (my main concern). Apart from that, very minor things like the clip, a small tear in a seat etc. The car has 180,614klms on the clock and he's asking 8.5k for it.
Cheers
GR
PS: Can do up a page of pics if your interested. I'd do it once I got, if I get the car, but only if your interested

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:38 pm

I dont mean if i offend you or anything, but the price seems too good for a Liberty that has been thrashed. If I was in my shoes (since I have very good background of access to engines/engine rebuild etc) I'd buy it and fix it up if it needs to and use it as everyday car.

Engine doesn't have coolant - is a bad sign of previous owner not looking after it hence problems will appear as well as automatic transmission of what you said above. SO um its a damn nice car and I would love to grab it as well but $$! heh So be aware about that, if you do go ahead buying it, a good luck with the buy and I am happy if you're happy with it.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Volare-Q17

Post by Volare-Q17 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:52 am

AlpineRaven wrote:I dont mean if i offend you or anything, but the price seems too good for a Liberty that has been thrashed. If I was in my shoes (since I have very good background of access to engines/engine rebuild etc) I'd buy it and fix it up if it needs to and use it as everyday car.

Engine doesn't have coolant - is a bad sign of previous owner not looking after it hence problems will appear as well as automatic transmission of what you said above. SO um its a damn nice car and I would love to grab it as well but $$! heh So be aware about that, if you do go ahead buying it, a good luck with the buy and I am happy if you're happy with it.
Cheers
AP
Hi AP
I think either I typed it incorrectly or you misunderstood. The car hasnt been thrashed, dunno where you got that idea.

The PH balance in the radiator meant the coolant is due for a change, not that it has none. The original price was 10,500, but the guy wants to buy a house and is selling off all his "toys" 2 Harleys, and Audi Quatro and the Subaru, though he is keeping his Evo and work van.

I went and had a look and drive yesterday, AWESOME!! I dont know what the mechanic meant by a harsh shift as my Commie is a lot harder. I tried full throttle shifts and slow speed, and never got so much as a bump when it changed. Even my 67 year old Mother in Law took it for a spin and she said "what a great deal, it drives better than my car (2000 Toyota Corrolla Seca Conquest hatch)" and "love the exhaust note, can I do that to my car?" She's also after the wheels!!

After what I thought was a pretty good mechanic report, all I wanna do now is get a V Check done to make sure there's no money etc owing, and I should have it by next weekend.

Thanks for your help.
Graeme

PS: Go to http://achr.topcities.com/photo/subaru/subaru.htm to have a look.

Oh, the Evo has gone so now all he has left apart from his work van and 2 4x4's is an awesome looking Hyundai Exel. Photo's of it will be up soon. I know it's nota Subie, but this is one COOL looking lil car, a must see.!!!!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:44 am

Mate, personally from what i've seen from that site it *looks* like a good buy. I say *looks* cos i haven't driven the car - but you seem pretty impressed with it and sounds like a goer.

I love the colour and the lines of that body shape.

Sounds like you already love the car too - I'd watch out for the mother in law, she might try and pull an unfair swap on you (or you may have just unleashed the subaru bug in your extended family).

Cheers
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Volare-Q17

Post by Volare-Q17 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:17 pm

Hi Bennie
Thanks mate. Well as mentioned before, I had an old L series touring wagon that I put taller King springs on and a noce bull bar. Loved the car, but unfortunately I killed it on a trip to Melbourne (overloaded trailer and me not watching the gauges). It lasted about 6 months until my son was born and we soon realised that 2 adults, an electric wheelchair, a baby capsule and a stroller just dont fit in one lil Subi. It was traded for $2000 more than what I paid for it on a Commodore wagon. We've had that 6.5 years now (picked it up the day my son was born).

But now, well getting bored with it and being on a pension, with fuel, rego, insurance and so on going up continuosly (everything except our pensions) decided to go back to a 4 cylinder.

After looking at a lot of possibilities, we decided that occasionally a reasonably recent model Subi showed it's head, so for the last 12 months, i've been keeping my eye out for just that car. Then the wagon popped up on ebay in May, so we made a lot of enquires, had a lot of talks with the guy, got a very good mechanic to give it a complete going over taking it for a good drive, have decided to purchase it. Love the shape, the motor, the overall look and so on. Has some things I need, towbar etc., so pretty much exactly what we were waiting and looking for.

Might throw up a couple of pics I took yesterday later tonight, so go back and have another look if you like.

Cheers
Graeme :D

Volare-Q17

Post by Volare-Q17 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I am now the very proud owner of the 97 Liberty and she's great!!! Even got the nod of approval from my mum on it, which is saying a lot.
Only part that i'm not that happy with is the exhaust, bit too noisy for me (must be getting old) Any idea's on what to use to keep the sporty note, but without the excessive bark?
Cheers

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:40 pm

can try a Resonator just s amll tube bit bigger than the actual pipe which will only need to get welded in and it brings the noise down a little bit.
not clear on how much reduction it does but i got one on a lancer and it sounds fine..nothing excessive still has sporty note.
so first thing id try would be a resonator put in the line. (sometimes called hotdogs coz of their shape)
and congrats on the car
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

Volare-Q17

Post by Volare-Q17 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:19 am

Thanks Mat, yeah i was informed about them, but unsure if it will bring the noise down enough. Was driving next to a Skyline yesterday with all the drift gear on it and twin 4" pipes. I drowned it out as soon as I put my foot on the loud pedal. Might have to get rid of the muffler on it now and go to a standard twin outlet WRX or the likes.
Cheers and thanks :)

Volare-Q17

Post by Volare-Q17 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Hi Mat
Had the Resonator fitted today, $80 new and fitted (welded) and it's a much nicer note both in and outside the car. Really gets rid of that loud bark when you hit a hill or accelerate a bit too hard.
Many thanks for the help.
Cheers
Graeme

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:44 pm

yer no problems
they are actually pretty good for wt they are really
do u see why they are sometimes called hotdogs lol :p
$80 - im unsure about wt price is a good one but mine was 250 for a catback system which included the resonator and muffler with pipe and fitting.

anyway im glad it worked for ya.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

Volare-Q17

Post by Volare-Q17 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:36 pm

My resonator is fibre packed, though straight through as a hot dog, but unlike a hot dog, the ends a straight ie: 90 degree to the top and bottom.

I (out of desparation) went to Midas, after scrounging through his bin of mufflers, he pulled out a very short hot dog and quoted me $125 supply and fit, glad I went back to R.A.C.E. and got what I wanted.

Cheers

Return to “Subaru Chat”