Servicing at home - warranty implications?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Dicks

Servicing at home - warranty implications?

Post by Dicks » Thu May 02, 2024 10:52 am

Hi just wondering if anybody has had experience in this area please? IE: if I service my car and follow all OEM recommendations/oil types etc would there be any warranty implications with Subaru if something required it and was not related to servicing.
(I am a qualified Diesel Fitter by trade).

Suby Spanner

Re: Servicing at home - warranty implications?

Post by Suby Spanner » Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:54 am

Sorry I'm so late. But NO!

Australian consumer law, gives us the right to choose who we use to service (and repair, but no one will do dealership warranty work as their pay is soooooo shit). All you need is proof that it was carried out. So receipts for oils/filter/parts, and evidence that you did it, usually just filling in the owners service book is enough: Be sure to do this, because if you sit down and do five years of services in one sitting, it's ALWAYS obvious. I did 20+ years in auto, 10+ in dealers, so I've seen it all.

The main thing is to ENSURE you do everything when it's required: Intake clean, fuel injector clean etc etc, and accept that your 'driving style' is like to be classed as 'extreme/heavy duty' so you'll need to shorten the service interval. For my Impreza, it get's done every 6,000km: ie. half the usual 12,500km: This is just so the dealers have NO chance to bounce you on warranty.

Look it's like this: You think BHP take their cruisers/hilux/rangers back into the city dealer for services??? Hell no! And if they ever bounced warranty, they'd be out of a HUGE deal.

Here's something I found quickly: https://www.aaaa.com.au/wp-content/uplo ... igital.pdf
They used to have an A4 certificate (probably still do) and I used to include one with EVER invoice I ever did.

Truth is, most people working at the dealer know the deal: they know what's warranty and what's not: They just hate warranty because it literally comes out their pay/wages/bonuses.... It has to be illegal, but the dealers don't GAF, and the mechanics/service advisors are usually out of the trade by 25 years old, or only return briefly while between jobs. I know I'm never going back to auto: EVER.
So treat them fairly, don't be a dick, and they'll usually get it sorted... for example my mate had the DPF smoke issue on his hilux (i used to service). The first time toyota 'fixed' it... yeah right.... the second time he simply arrived at toyota, said to the bloke bring up the records, see it's been done once.... 'now you and me both know toyota want to play a game here, and hope I go away. What's gonna happen is I'm leaving this ute here, and in a few days or a week or so, you're gonna call me, and it's going to be fixed once and for all, isn't it?'
And it was.

TLDR:
Receipts, copys of everything, dates and evidence, and you'll be fine.

Return to “Subaru Chat”