Oil Subaru Outback

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Outback58

Oil Subaru Outback

Post by Outback58 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:38 pm

Hi ,

While having a trip to the North West of Western Australia.
We where travelling at around 110ks per hour. We first did 1400 km over two days with temps in Mid 30s and stopped in a town for a week. I checked the oil and it was fine .
We then went 400 ks in 45 degree heat. Then 1100ks in one day in 43 degree heat. All 110 k passing Road trains.
The next day we in 30 degree heat after 200ks the oil light came on for 8 km then went off. We were 10 km for Badgingarra and called into town and saw the town mechanic.
The oil was at the lower level on the stick and took almost a litre. The mechanic was not surprised and told us he has had Subarus and Audis come in off the highway with this issue. Travelled the last 300ks and when checked again the level was fine.
The dealer service put in 0w-30w Syn oil. I plan to change this up to 5w - 30w for this type of travel
2015 2.5l Outback

This is fifth trip on the same road and distances with no problems but never in such heat. Just seeing if anyone has had a similar problem
Cheers

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Oil Subaru Outback

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:30 am

Not had similar to you but what you experienced with oil consumption and extreme heat makes sense to me. Tolerances in the bore, pistons and rings would be on the upper end of the scale in this situation which would lead to higher/excessive oil consumption.

The oil may have passed the rings or blow by pushed more oil through the PCV system into the intake.

I wouldn’t be stressed about it if you are. Your choice to step up to a slightly thicker oil in your warmer climate should work well for you. I’d be interested to see if you note an increase (slight one) in fuel usage with this oil.

Thanks for sharing! I hope someone else with a similar experience chimes in.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Re: Oil Subaru Outback

Post by TOONGA » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:35 am

Before you left on your journey did you do an oil change?

If not the engine oil could have had fuel in it due to “crankcase dilution” https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=16891

on a long journey the fuel will evaporate reducing the amount of oil in the engine. if not found the engine can suffer catastrophic failure. I first heard about this over 30 years ago from an RAC driver who had to deal with the problem every holiday period.

this is not limited to diesel engines, all fuel engines (not sure about turbines though) have this problem.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Return to “Subaru Chat”