Subaru 2019 - Dual Battery Installation

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
DAH

Subaru 2019 - Dual Battery Installation

Post by DAH » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:27 pm

Hi Just had the misfortune of running my battery dry while camping. Intend installing a DCDC charger in Cargo Bay. How do I run cable through firewall to cargo bay?
DAH

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Subaru 2019 - Dual Battery Installation

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:05 pm

G’day DAH!

That sucks! I hope you had a mate there to help get you started and going again!

Two ways to get the cable through the firewall - one is to go through an existing grommet with the cable. Another that I since found via another forum member is an insulated electrical post that goes into a hole you still in the firewall. On either side of the firewall (or any sheet metal) the cable bolts to this post to allow positive power to safely flow through the firewall. Do a search on “bulkhead electrical connector” or “bulkhead positive post” and you’ll have loads of options.

Just make sure you get one that’s rated to the amps that the cable can carry (or more!). Also a good idea to have a circuit breaker at each battery to isolate one or both if the vehicle was ever in a crash.

Being that your vehicle is a 2019 you’ve probably got a “smart” alternator - one that turns off if it’s not needed. You will need to investigate an appropriate charger to work around this alternator. I’m not 100% sure but I think the DC/DC charger is the way to go - and it’ll give you solar capability too (double check before buying!).

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

DAH

Post by DAH » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:11 pm

Alfredo
Thanks for the information. I should be able to use one of the connections provided on the link. I still need to know best route for cable from firewall to cargo bay. Any suggestions?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:50 pm

Run it along the trans tunnel under the carpet. You can’t run it along the LHS of the vehicle as your fuel lines reside there!

Pick the best route for it where it won’t interfere with the sliding of the front passenger seat or deform the moulded carpet from sitting properly or close enough to it ;)

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subaru Chat”