Outback 2017 jerking

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
tbm1975

Outback 2017 jerking

Post by tbm1975 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:32 pm

Hey guys, my 2017 Outback is jerking when accelerating gently. It seems worse on an incline . When i slow down into a corner and accelerate coming out of it , it seems to happen, also accelerating gently from a stop. If i accelerate hard it doesnt seem to happen. I have had new filters, spark plugs etc. Has anyone else had this issue? I have a mat who mentioned a computer reset/update can quite often fix these issues. Sorry i know very little about cars and hopefully can get it into Subaru in the next few weeks

Suby Spanner

Re: Outback 2017 jerking

Post by Suby Spanner » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:37 pm

Sorry, late reply: Our Impreza was surging when we first got it in 2015, there was an ECU udpate they did at the first service that sorted it out.

The other thing worth considering, how many km's has this done? I'm seeing various cars with CV issues, the inner one wears and causes a vibration/shudder that's tricky to locate/confirm. Then there's all the usual culprits: leads/coils/plugs/fuel filters etc etc

Sundiesel

Post by Sundiesel » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:36 pm

I've just bought a new MY21 Impreza with this same problem. After looking around the WWW thing searching for other complaints, I've found just one description..."longitudinally shunting", drive train feedback. The reviewer chap who described this said it was in a MY20 Demo Impreza and that it was so minor that you'd get used to it. What I experienced on my test drive wasn't likely to be acceptable at anytime. The reason I went ahead with the purchase was because its under warranty, there are many many other Impreza's around without the problem and I've been assured that it will be sorted out before I take delivery of it in the next day or so.
I'll let you know how it all pans out.
Cheers,
"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it". HENRY FORD

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:39 pm

@tbm1975 - you might need a throttle body clean.

If it’s the same issue as Sundiesel, it could be a programming issue with the engine or the transmission (if it’s an auto).

Another thing to look it is engine and trans mounts.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Sundiesel

Post by Sundiesel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:42 am

I'll report on this now that I've picked up the car.:biggrin:

When I test drove it and found the problem, it had just 10kms on it.

I took delivery of it yesterday and was told by the service manager that when the car is run in, the problem will disappear altogether. So I got in to drive home and sure enough it was still doing it, but not to the same extent....noticeably less, in fact. The car had 34kms on the clock then.

Now it has around 70kms and although I can still feel the "lineal shunting" its hardly noticeable.

So, although I'm now a happy camper, I'm sorry that this doesn't help tbm1975's problem. Because the symptoms were the same, I thought I'd better chime in. The service manager did say that its a drive train issue, if that's of any help.

Cheers,
Rob
"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it". HENRY FORD

Sundiesel

Post by Sundiesel » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:11 am

Well, this self labelled "Happy Camper", isn't happy presently. I spent the whole day yesterday getting to know our new car and setting it up the way we like it. But whenever I took it out on a drive, it was really disappointing.
Our town is mostly a 50KPH speed limited area and some of it is hilly. So, when we took the car to show it off to our friends and when pulling at slow speeds up hill, under moderate to low throttle, it behaved awfully. Worse than ever. So, I composed a "reserved" letter and emailed it to the local sales guys, their service department and to Subaru, outlying the problem. I now wait for their reply.
I'll report back with what they recommend.
Rob

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:21 am

That sucks to say the least.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Subaru’s version of the direct injection system, assuming they’re now using that in the new models.

Other thought is the drive by wire system needs recalibration.

Not that this is great, but it could be a fall back - read up the lemon laws and see where you stand there just in case you need to use them. At least you’ll know where you stand if it was to come to that.

Honestly I’m really surprised that Subaru let a brand new vehicle off the lot with a shuddering issue! Simply lazy on the dealership’s part to say “it will sort itself out, it just needs to be driven”.

Can you take it for an extended day’s drive with lots of highway cruising but still incorporating some hills and “slow” climbs in steeper areas? Basically trying to real world driving events of all sorts. Hit some corrugations just to get some dust under the car for the service department to choke on. Plus it’ll give the vehicle a decent shake down to show up any underlying faults that may arise sooner or later anyway.

All the best with it mate. Seems a weird time to be making big purchases etc. Dad just got a brand spanking new long range tank for his Pajero for a DIY install. Instructions are thin on details, wrong bolts are supplied (being sorted), wiring diagram for pump and sender units are shown, but how to hook this into the main wiring is not shown! He said their customer service wasn’t too flash either. So now he’s hoping to get the tank in over the weekend rather than having it done by this arvo...

Cheers

Bennie

Sundiesel

Post by Sundiesel » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:13 am

I've just had some very polite email's from the Service Dept answering my message and asking me to bring the car in on Monday so they can investigate what could be causing the problem.

My apologies to tbm1975 for virtually hi-jacking his thread. Sorry mate.
Rob

Sundiesel

Post by Sundiesel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:51 pm

I took the car into the local Subaru Service place this morning, all pre-arranged. One of their Techs and I went for a drive and just like when you go to see the Doctor, the symptoms were barely noticeable. But they were there enough for him to see what I'm concerned about. I left the car with them so they can do some tests and hook the car up to their diagnostic thing.

This afternoon I had a call from them saying that they were going to perform a "CVT adaptive re-learn" to the transmission which should fix the problem and the car will be ready to be picked up tomorrow. I had heard of this procedure several years ago and had forgotten all about it.....not surprising at my age. Anyway, I'll get back on here again, tomorrow arvo, with my report on whether or not its been fixed.

I'd like to add this too....... The Subaru folk who have been dealing with me, Sales staff, Service manager, Service Technician and even the gorgeous receptionist, have all been super polite and thoroughly professional. Unlike the Ford people that used to occupy the same business/buildings several years back. Yes, I'm impressed..... with the company, their representatives, and the product.

Cheers,
Rob

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:10 pm

Sounds like a good step in the right direction Rob. Hopefully the re-learn will solve the issue!

Cheers

Bennie

Sundiesel

Post by Sundiesel » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 am

El_Freddo wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:10 pm
Sounds like a good step in the right direction Rob. Hopefully the re-learn will solve the issue!
Cheers
Bennie
Yes it did. I picked it up this morning and its running just like a new one.
I assume that this same adaptive re-learn treatment can be given to the original posters Outback which may fix the problem for him too. I was told that this can happen when a new driver with a different driving style is introduced to the car.
Cheers,
Rob

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:13 pm

That seems so odd for a modern day vehicle to induce a drivetrain shudder because there’s a different driver with a different driving style behind the steering wheel!

Glad it’s sorted. I hope for you and your new ride that this shudder stays away. If it ever reappears, jump on the dealer straight away while under warranty ;)

For now, enjoy the ride!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Subaru Chat”