Brumby/Brat Piston Sizes.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Errol

Brumby/Brat Piston Sizes.

Post by Errol » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:41 am

Been looking for set of new pistions for my 90 Brumby, bit like hens teeth however found 85 Subaru XT 1.8 H4 pistons which maybe same size as Brumby/Brat 1.8 H4. Size is CR 9:1, 9.5:1-92mm. Anyone out there who can verify if these firgures correct size pistons for Brumby/Brat 1.8 AE81. They could be for an EA82 are they the same size as EA81.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Brumby/Brat Piston Sizes.

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:37 am

G’day Errol,

I’m not sure exactly what sizes fit what. I have read of ppl using EA71 pistons in EA82 to up the compression ratio, so I would say that they’re all interchangeable.

Do your research, pay attention to the gudgeon pin to piston face measurement as this is important. If everything else is the same in measurement then you should be good to go.

There was a thread on here about using an EJ piston and removing some Bush in the con rod to fit the EJ gudgeon pin. Dunno that anyone actually did it though.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:44 pm

Can confirm EA71 to EA82 pistons do fit in an EA81 ...
As to where to get them is a bit harder, should try Dom's Motors & see what he can find ?
Cheers, Bantum ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:05 pm

OK, someone, Elf-reddo asked me to comment ,only back in January.
Nothing happened since ?? I have fitted pistons that come marked as for EA71, EA81 and EA82, so a generic fit. Done twice in last 20 years and never a problem. I am sitting on a selection of EA71 specific slugs which are supposed to up the compression over EA81 factory. Given the reliable service out of my EA82 twINport and its willingness to rev out smoothly (quietly) to around 6,500 I would never go back to EA81. So, these slugs may have to wait for a special EA82 rebuild :)

Errol ??

Return to “Subaru Chat”