EA81 Hydraulic Lifters

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Errol

EA81 Hydraulic Lifters

Post by Errol » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:00 am

Been having trouble locating the tight Hydraulic Lifters for my Spare Brumby EA81 engine. Went to Rockauto and they indicate that EA81 and EA82 have same lifters 85003000, however I now believe that not to be correct and that both have different type lifters which I now find Rockauto does have for EA81, supplied by Beck/Arnley 0221-425. Seems bit of confusion between the EA81 and EA82 Valve Lifters.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: EA81 Hydraulic Lifters

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:56 am

G’day Errol,

Most EA81s delivered to Oz have solid lifters. The hydraulic units you find here are from imported engines/vehicles/half cuts.

I’ll see if I can raise Steptoe, he might have more solid info on this. Toonga could be helpful too.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Errol

Post by Errol » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:18 am

Thanks for that as it happens now I have ended up with both so I guess I know when I pull the head down. Got them both from Rockauto both type lifters.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:35 pm

The EA81 lifters are tucked in the block beside the camshaft that’s under the crank shaft. You won’t have lifters in the head. You might be able to tell which type of lifter you have by looking at the rocker arms.

I believe the hydraulic lifters do not have adjustable rocker arms (I could be wrong though). I do know that the solid lifters have adjustable rocker arms where you set the tolerances.

I’m hoping you weren’t intending to swap the lifters as from what I understand, you need to split the block or possibly drop the sump to do it. I’ve not done it before, just read about it ages ago.

Unless you have an EA82 with cam belts shoved in your brumby, you might have spent money you didn’t need to spend :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subaru Chat”