Brumby with engine knock.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Errol

Brumby with engine knock.

Post by Errol » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:32 am

Have 2 Brumbys one drive vehicle in good condition and a parts vehicle with drives but has suddenly developed a engine knock after I changed oil to 20-50 and did an engine compression test. Compression tests came up 148-150psi on all cyls. Oil pressure test came up as 60psi and drops to 30psi when engine hot. Removed all spark plug leads individually on the running motor knock still persisted on all cylinders with leads removed one at a time. Sort of thinking about Lifters but this does sound like a loud knock.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Brumby with engine knock.

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:03 pm

G’day Errol,

With the engine running, use a long screw driver or wooden dowel as a stethoscope - place it on the top centre of the block (where possible!) and put your ear to the other end. If the knocking sound is loud it’s the bottoms end that’s the issue and the engine requires a rebuild.

If you do the same on the heads near, but not on the rocker covers, you’ll be able to hear if it’s lift tick or not.

I hope this helps with the diagnosis of the issue. I’m hoping it’s requiring a lifter adjustment!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subaru Chat”