EA to EJ Adapters & Leone/L Series Lift Kit Advice

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: EA to EJ Adapters & Leone/L Series Lift Kit Advice

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 24, 2020 8:45 am

Hey Charlie,

Interesting.

What year and EJ size are you using? Eg 1991 EJ22.

I’ve got D12 (yellow wire) in my diagram as a power wire from the ignition switch to the fuel pump relay and the ignition coil. It has the diode in between it and B5 (light green colour and the main power relay on/off wire).

The other thing that I can’t remember off the top of my head is which way around you look at the wiring plugs from - wire in or the ECU side. This is where I use the wiring colours to work it out.

Or there could be something wrong with your ECU, but I’ve not heard of that issue before.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

charliemi16

Post by charliemi16 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:55 pm

Hi Bennie,

Firstly, thanks so much for taking the time to help out. I've spent most of the day on it, and I'm pretty worried now. I believe the weird voltages may be down to a short to the chassis somewhere, and nothing to do with my wiring, but I'm concerned it may have put power where it wasn't wanted. I'm also feeling a bit dumb, and doubting my fault finding skills right now.

The donor is a 1991 legacy EJ22 MPFI, japanese import onto New Zealand. I don't have the workshop manual for it, so have pieced together what I can from various sources on the internet. If you have one that has wire colours on it I would really appreciate it.

I believe pin 1 is top right of the ecu plug when looking at the ECU with the connector release catch on the top. If that is correct, F47 (D) Pin 12 on my ECU is a teal colour with a silver dot.

A correct wiring diagram would be really nice

Thanks

Charlie

charliemi16

Post by charliemi16 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:45 pm

Hi all,

Bennie, I think I'm talking to you only now :) but if anyone else has any useful tips, I'm all ears.

I think I've found the cause of the confusion regarding the D12 thing. Depending on which FSM you have, will dictate what is called B & what is called D. They change! How stupid. I've created the attached https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... MafzWVMwFK to show what I mean. A & C always stay labelled as that, but B & D change depending on what manual you are looking at! The boxes highlighted yellow are the ones I have wired up, according to the instructions (https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... YtVZ0Qo8-f_) from Numbchux, which states:

Here’s a simple diagram of how to power the harness:
The three ECU pins shown are:
a15: ECU memory (should always have power)
d23: fuel pump activation (the ECU connects this wire to ground when the fuel pump should
come on)
c10: Starter switch (should get 10-14 volts while cranking. This changes the fuel mixtures for
easier cold starts)

I believe I have everything wired correctly, but could someone please check. I'm usually pretty confident, and I spent a lot of time double checking (using the wiring diagrams in Numbchux' pdf)and beeping out with a multimeter before I did anything, but this has me doubting myself.

The parts from Aus have cleared customs so I should actually be able to drop the engine in soon. I'm reluctant to plug the loom into the engine again until I know it's right, but I assume the harness needs to be connected to sensors, injectors etc etc to get correct readings at ECU? The manual I now have gives me all the voltage and ground checks, but I'm releuctant to plug them in unless I know it's safe to do so.

Cheers

Charlie

charliemi16

Post by charliemi16 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:21 pm

Hi all,

It's finallytime to drop the engine in this weekend! So excited.

Before I connect the loom up to the ECU I'd really like to do one final check of the wiring. So, does anyone have a definitive guide, diagram, pin out checks etc for me to make sure I've got it right?

Thanks

Charlie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:29 pm

G’day Charlie,

Download the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for the model of vehicle your loom came from. There will be a number of pages in there that show all the ECU pin outs.

I’ve used this page successfully several times now: https://workshop-manuals.com/subaru/

A FSM would be the best way to go I reckon.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subaru Chat”