Hiclone - the verdict so far.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
subaduba

Hiclone - the verdict so far.

Post by subaduba » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:11 am

There has been a bit of a debate on this forum about whether the Hiclone Fuelsaver actually works. Some of you may be aware that we have begun selling the Hiclone, and as I have only just fitted mine this week in my 'L' EA82 wagon, and I thought I'd keep you posted on the results over the next few weeks. I do alot of K's with my work, so results should be fairly easy to gauge.

So far:

Power improvement - immediately noticeable. (probably 10%-15%)

Fuel economy - still testing but definitely better. I will post actual results in the coming weeks, but estimated about 15-20% improvement!

Noticeably quieter and smoother.

We have sold about 20 of these so far and we are waiting for responses from customers. In mine i noticed an improvement as soon as I fitted it. My mate also commented that I sounded quieter going up the street from his place after I fitted it.

Steve.
http://www.4x4buyerstore.com.au

spaceage

Post by spaceage » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:37 am

that sounds alright now someone has tested it that has no reason to talk it up, is one available for the mpfi ea82???

how much would it be???
1999 Impreza RX

Mango

Post by Mango » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:50 am

15-20% is a pretty big improvement........for that sort of increase I'd consider shelling out some cash but being the sceptic that I am I'd like to see some hard evidence (like dyno results) rather than seat of the pants..........any chance?

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:49 am

Is there any point fitting one to a turbo or am I going to be the gunnia pig? :lol:

subarursliberty

Post by subarursliberty » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:04 pm

I looked at it for my RS. Someone told me I would need 3. 1 pre turbo, 1 pre intercooler one in the throttle. I recon one in the throttle body would work well.

jzk25

Post by jzk25 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:26 pm

spaceage wrote:that sounds alright now someone has tested it that has no reason to talk it up, is one available for the mpfi ea82???

how much would it be???

I would have thought that selling the product would give him reason to talk it up.

spaceage

Post by spaceage » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:32 pm

yeh ok good point i missed the we sell it part, oh well hpefully we will get some dyno graphs
1999 Impreza RX

smoov

Post by smoov » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:37 pm

could we see some pics of it installed in your EA82 L? 8)
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:59 pm

Are you willing to answer some questions on the product? Like... will it suite Fuel injected engines such as an ej22???

Dave

spaceage

Post by spaceage » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:17 pm

Dave

This is a complete list i found of supported subaru models.

http://www.fuelsaver.com.au/catalog.php?lstMake=51

There isn't one to suit my vortex :( only a airfilter and i already got a k&N filter
1999 Impreza RX

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:23 pm

I would love to see some genuine unbiast dyno results , as far as your mate saying that your car sounds quieter since the thing was fitted how the hell could it do that , just don't add up. In case you cant tell I am very skeptical but with some knowlege as my father had one in his 4.2 deisel patrol , he couldnt notice any difference.

Mike.
ImageImage

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:26 pm

I see no reason why you couldn't put one in spaceage, whether you're modifying the inlet tract or the unit itself..

I'm not convinced that this device at all works by the way. For me to beleive I'd need some pretty hard evidence, and to me that means dyno graphs on the same dyno in the same conditions.

subarursliberty

Post by subarursliberty » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:38 pm

What the fn hell does this thing do to a ford focus that warrants $1520. It had better add 30+HP. I know its not a hyclone but its one of the airboxes thaey are trying to sell.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:42 pm

Looks like it "could" be made from carbon fibre, so clearly it's $1500 of wank factor and $20 of usefulness but then it is for a ford focus :wink:

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

smoov

Post by smoov » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:43 pm

maybe coz its carbon fibre?

(ricers rejoice)
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Malc

Post by Malc » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:18 pm

The catalog says it supports models: 1800, LEONE & BRUMBY, from year 79 to 89. Why not up until 94 when production of the brumby seizest?

daza

Post by daza » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:21 pm

"1800, LEONE & BRUMBY, from year 79 to 89" = EA81. any EA81... :D

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:48 pm

Is there any point fitting one to a turbo or am I going to be the gunnia pig?
:lol: there is always a point, don't people with turbos normally put every wiz bang go faster bits on, nevr mind the $, also you need 3 of them :lol: :lol:
The point is the vendor gets your money, :evil: , and you have a wow factor to brow about :P . And if you pay that sort of money you will definitely get
30-40% improvement :lol:

Seriously, think about it, the turbo is such a big factor in the air flow, any gadget like this will do stuff all, probably impede flow too, there's plenty of
swirl going on already.....

yes, I am a skeptic, can't you tell?
but if ya want to be a gunnia pig ? (whats that anyway? :roll: ) I think u mean guinea pig, well thats up to you i guess.

spaceage

Post by spaceage » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:11 pm

yeh i probably could modify but it would have to be worth the time cost and brain power :P

so it would need to give 20% more power
1999 Impreza RX

subaduba

Post by subaduba » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:31 pm

Wow, a few replies in one day.

I'll try to cover some main questions.

Firstly, I'm not an expert on this product. But I'm told by the national distributor that THE most popular vehicles using Hiclones are Subarus! And that's all varieties including carbs - with and without turbos, efi's, all models. That's because many Subaru dealers around the country are recommending them.

Secondly, my 'seat of the pants' estimates are just that, and I am just relaying my own results so far. I only fitted the product on Monday, and I am told that the engine needs to settle for about a week before gauging the true results. That's because due to the better burning of the fuel, it gradually cleans the top end and exhaust valves etc. What I will do then is get it dyno tested with and without the Hiclone fitted to see the exact differences. I don't know why the skeptics here would trust my results though when just as true results are published on the Hiclone website. Some skeptics can't be budged no matter what.

But I can say that the car 'feels' better to drive. And on the fuel consumption issue, I'm doing what 99% of our customers will do - assess the results on the knowledge of their own vehicle. I don't need to get a dyno test to know that my car has more oomph and drives better.

Re the construction - it is made from stainless steel, and I was surprised to see it 'in the flesh'. It's definitely not a 'chucked together thing'. It looks very well engineered. I don't know what that black and yellow thing pictured in your post is subarusliberty, but it's definitely not a Hiclone.

On the issue of turbos - yes a turbo does move the air around, but the Hiclone is designed to deliver uniform turbulence, which I am told is the difference. It is also recommended to be fitted after the turbo for this reason.

Next, where did a stupid figure like $1520 come from? It costs $160, (and less from us) plus fitting (recommended to be done by a mechanic). If you bought 7 of them you might get somewhere near that, but then it would definitely be 'wank factor'.

Then, finally, yes we do make a profit by selling them - so do Subaru for selling cars, but I'm not going to sell my soul to promote a gizmo that I am under obligation to fully refund on if the customer isn't 100% happy with. I also have to pay the cost of freight to get the part back to the supplier. By the way, has no-one else ever promoted a product here that they sell?

I'm happy to answer any sensible questions in person by PM if anyone wants any further info.

Steve
http://www.4x4buyerstore.com.au

Hiclone Website: http://www.fuelsaver.com.au

Return to “Subaru Chat”