Liberty IDEA

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Green_eyed_liberty

Liberty IDEA

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:21 pm

at the moment i have a GX allwheel drive liberty wagon, and i was wondering if it is possible to take the front shafts out and have it rear wheel?? would the diff take this sort of abuse??
i also have a RS rear diff could that make any difference??

its just an idea (after seeing that WRX wagon... and crashing into a tree 8O )

any ideas ??

Tony
Green-eyed libertys
SVX

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:27 pm

Rick Bates is punting a RWD Impreza in the Drift Battle championship.

My little bro spoke with him the other week at Oran Park and he said all he did was take the front shafts out (leaving the outer spindles of course).

jzk25

Post by jzk25 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:38 pm

It appears Rick Bates knows very little about subaru drivetrains.

In the words of the great wise ones "I hope this post makes more sense than drifting".

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:43 pm

Nah I disputed it with him too, but he looked under the car, and there ain't no front shafts in there.

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:06 pm

I think MRT sell a replacement for the center viscus coupling to make RWD WRXs.

adam_rxturbo

Post by adam_rxturbo » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:42 pm

I think you would need something - atleast the outer bit of a driveshaft bolted to the wheel - because to my understanding the wheel bearing sits and runs on this shaft.

Also, i've heard that the suspension is really set up for the AWD driveline, and if you go to change it to rear, it drives insanely - like a rwd in the wet apparently... Probably why that rex hit the tree :roll:

Cheers
-Adam

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:29 pm

Not possible to run it with out doing mods to the centre diff. I have blown cv's before and the car definately does not like it. It is however possible to just weld the centre diff and then take the main shafts from the front. As already stated you do have to have the stubs in the wheel bearing or they will just collapse.

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:47 pm

I beleive with the $700 MRT centre you can leave the front shafts in, no drive is transmitted to the front at all.

Rick Bates's car has had more done to it than just having the front shafts removed. Something would have had to be done with that centre diff.

For those that don't know I drove my MY wagon in RWD for nearly two years - using the 4spd MY gearbox without front axles. And yes, you do need to leave the outer CV joint in place. Anyone who's pulled apart their front hub assembly (I'd have thought that be pretty much everyone on this board) would know why.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:52 pm

Subaru wrote:(leaving the outer spindles of course).

adam_rxturbo

Post by adam_rxturbo » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:06 pm

tim_81coupe wrote:I beleive with the $700 MRT centre you can leave the front shafts in, no drive is transmitted to the front at all.

Rick Bates's car has had more done to it than just having the front shafts removed. Something would have had to be done with that centre diff.
Hmm Just had a thought. After pulling apart my ea82 awd gearbox (mechanical open centre)... Wouldnt it be possible to just remove, or chop off the front diff pinion from just after the bearing in the diff... Then weld up the centre diff so that all drive goes directly to the rear? (the awd box i have has a locking centre, so that would be easily done :D) That option would be far cheaper than a $700 replacement centre!!! And the front diff would just act normally allowing difference of speed between both front wheels, allowing both driveshafts to remain fitted and in tact...

Then again, it all depends on how seriously you want RWD in your subie hehe

Cheers
-Adam

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:31 pm

Why not preserve the AWD box and use a part time 4wd box - engage the 4wd to be on all the time and remove the front axles.

As I said, I did this for nearly two years. Although I did do it with a single range box.

EDIT: Or you could buy a Nissan.

mattims

Post by mattims » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:51 pm

make it a pintara and put l series badging on it. no one would know. Isnt that right tim

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:55 pm

Precisely.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:26 pm

tim_81coupe wrote:Why not preserve the AWD box and use a part time 4wd box - engage the 4wd to be on all the time and remove the front axles.
That wouldn't work for rick bates tho. Drifting a EJ20T? attached to a L gearbox? you'd have to hate the guts outta that gearbox. Anyway. Why the would you want RWD??? :-/
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:31 pm

If you take the time to have a read, you'll realise what Rick Bates is running.
tim_81coupe wrote:Rick Bates's car has had more done to it than just having the front shafts removed. Something would have had to be done with that centre diff.
He's running the turbo EJ box, with the centre welded up and no front shafts.

Subaman

Post by Subaman » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:52 am

I have a welded up centre if anyone wants it. PM if interested.
Cheers
Grant

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:02 pm

The MRT part is for the EJ AWD boxes which have a viscous centre diff & no other means to lock them.

What's the welded diff you have Subaman? there are different ones depending on which year EJ box you have.

Why have RWD?
I've never had a RWD car. I would like to be able to have both. AWD is a big drain on the transmission & hence fuel economy (I do long road trips)
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:07 pm

Well Oversteer on these boards has apparently got a good thing going with these DCCD 6 speeds. Seems they act a little differently to the earlier ones.

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:09 pm

Yeah, but I kind of doubt he's going to be throwing one my way :lol:
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

Return to “Subaru Chat”